NIB Cherry G80-2100HBU

Jesseg

30 Jul 2020, 07:18

Hello,
This is my first post in the gallery section of the forum!
I recently acquired a new-in-box Cherry G80-2100HBU so I thought I would share some photos of it.
As far as I know, this is the only G80-2100HBU known, or at least I have never seen another one.
Honestly I didn't even want to remove it from the box but I had to have a closer look and give it a quick test.
Denoted by the code 'HBU', This keyboard has double-shot keycaps, MX Black switches and is US layout.

It came from an office liquidation and had apparently been sitting on top of a cabinet since the early 1990s and had never been used.
I was also really happy to find the original documentation inside.
This keyboard comes from Cherry's range of 'battleship' keyboards consisting of the G80-2000, G80-2100 and the G80-2550 among other regional specific layouts.

As mentioned previously, this one uses vintage Blacks, which in this case are incredibly smooth, definitely one of my favorite stock switches. It has a big enter and a single unit backspace among other special keys like the windowed 'Cherry' key, that is used for programming.
The programming of this keyboards consists of 23 re-legendable macro keys * 10 layers and functions for repeat rate. Neat!

Overall I really like this keyboard and if it wasn't for preservation sake, I'd probably use it every day. Enjoy the photos!

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Damonskv

30 Jul 2020, 07:47

Congratulations again, man. I hope one day you will want to get rid of this ;)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Jul 2020, 08:19

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

I actually own (or owned, would have to check after 9 years :lol: ) a Cherry G80-2100 HDU featured here,
but yours is the even rarer, older model with the Cherry key still in the programming cluster.

And it looks simply great :mrgreen:

Jesseg

30 Jul 2020, 08:24

kbdfr wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 08:19
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

I actually own (or owned, would have to check after 9 years :lol: ) a Cherry G80-2100 HDU featured here,
but yours is the even rarer, older model with the Cherry key still in the programming cluster.

And it looks simply great :mrgreen:
Thanks for the comment!
Just had a look at your thread, You had THREE 2100's!? Jaysus.. Keep them safe lol

Jesseg

30 Jul 2020, 08:26

Damonskv wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 07:47
Congratulations again, man. I hope one day you will want to get rid of this ;)
Perhaps, not for quite some time though haha, do you really need another Cherry battleship? ;)

Damonskv

30 Jul 2020, 08:59

Of course, yes!!!

t8c

30 Jul 2020, 14:18

A stunning find. Congrats, so nice of you to share it with us.

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 Jul 2020, 22:00

This is such an incredible find, I really can't congratulate you enough. One of the absolute nicest possible 2100s, and NIB to boot. I used to have (actual) dreams of finding stacks of these in 2015, sadly they never came true :lol:

Cherish that thing for as long as you have it (I'd keep it forever if I were you :mrgreen:)!

Also, just in case you haven't realised: this is the first ever photographed example of this particular 2100 model with all original caps in-tact, unless previous records got deleted at some point. And I'm including the ancient Korean forums. You've made Cherry history with this.
Last edited by photekq on 30 Jul 2020, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

ddrfraser1

30 Jul 2020, 23:14

Dayum! Been trying to find one with an led screen for a while. Congrats!

Jesseg

31 Jul 2020, 01:27

Thanks for your kind comments! It's nice to have somewhere to share this and It's great to be a part of the history of these things! :)

Return to “Gallery”