Remington Rand 1550 [SMK discrete domes]

zrrion

05 Feb 2021, 01:22

First of all, huge thanks to Facitman, who provided some valuable insight on this typewriter while I was trying to figure out what was in it.

I was attracted to this initially in an ebay listing that had some cool coloured caps. Same model number on this one but caps are all WOB. After some digging I found a TEC, Remington, Facit, and Clover branded version of this typewriter so I asked Facitman if he knew anything about it. He was kind enough to provide a scan of the manual page that shows the switches.

He also stated he thought it could be one of 2 SMK variants that I hadn't seen before, integrated domes or magnetic reed. Apparently these came from old TEC POS stuff. There is TEC branding on the PCB so I am inclined to believe that these were made by TEC for Facit, Remington, and Clover. Not sure why Facit had them since prior to these they had things with ALPS switches, and after this they were using Ericsson switches. My best guess is these covered the transition from Facit making things to Ericsson making them.

Taking a look at the caps, which were what initially interested me in these:
Nice thick caps, no complaints here.
Wild tripleshots. love how these look. do note that the LED is not actually part of the switch but is rather just snapped into the plate right next to it. These are a pain in the ass to get out of the plate and I'm not desoldering the entire thing just for pictures of this LED thing.
Hell yeah.

Here's a pic of the keyboard module removed from the typewriter, all in all it was fairly easy to remove the module and the typewriter is in its case in the attic for if I want to reinstall the keyboard. It appears to have diodes for every switch so NKRO should be a thing. The shift keys are the same position in the matrix though so it isn't quite suitable for modern use with out jumpering one of the shifts to an unused matrix position.

As for the switches, they are SMK integrated domes and they are actually really nice. They are nice and tactile which really helps to make the short travel distance of tall SMK more bearable. I personally like longer travel linears, but short tactiles are alright.

I like how the dome is a very 90s nickelodeon green. The dampening ring on the upside is a nice touch even if noise reduction doesn't really matter on a typewriter.

and the dummy switch that is used as a stabilizer.

Here's a pic of the module from a TEC typewriter with a slightly different layout:

All in all they are cool, layout would be very comfortable to use once converted and the switches are good.

mcmaxmcmc

05 Feb 2021, 07:23

That is a beaut... I would love to try these switches some day. Seems like it'd be something of my taste. :D

Now the hard part is finding one of these... with a reasonable shipping price... and then space in my room to store it in... that might be hard. :?

zrrion

07 Feb 2021, 01:22

Forgot to post this to verify that these are indeed SMK switches.

zrrion

06 Jan 2022, 05:46

https://freesound.org/people/zrrion_the ... ds/613880/

At the request of Inozenz I made a sound test, sound hasn't been approved yet but it should be in a day or so. It's a very nice sounding board for sure.

inozenz

06 Jan 2022, 12:30

zrrion wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 05:46
https://freesound.org/people/zrrion_the ... ds/613880/

At the request of Inozenz I made a sound test, sound hasn't been approved yet but it should be in a day or so. It's a very nice sounding board for sure.
totally agree, got a very similar typewrite which wasnt working anymore. too much rust on everything. a Utax T-1000 and i must say it has a great layout and wonderfull thicc caps. the sound reminds me of my novatouch topre board.

Return to “Gallery”