Focus62 - Alps64 Kishsaver

Foreman

09 Feb 2021, 22:28

Hey guys, I've lurked for a few years but this is my first post here. I wasn't sure whether to put it in workshop or gallery, but since it's finished and there's a lot of pictures, I went with gallery.

After over three years, my first keyboard project has finally reached its conclusion. I don't really remember why I decided to do it in the first place, probably one of those "two good things together must make something equally great or even better" thoughts, which are not always correct, but in this case I think it worked out.

The board is one of Hasu's Alps64 PCBs with blue alps, save for an amber on the space bar and a cream locking switch for caps lock. As the name implies, the keycaps are from a Focus 2000 Plus, as I wanted a bigass enter and split right shift. I managed to source an Omnikey Plus 1.5u delete to replace rCtrl which replaced rAlt, a layout I've really come to love on my unadulterated new F77. The cable is black paracord with carbon techflex from Mechcables. I was going to do just a regular black coiled cable, but I decided to go OEM+.

Of course, the star of the show here is one of the new Model F62 cases from Ellipse's project in industrial gray. This keyboard is solid - I'd wager probably one of the heaviest 60% boards you can buy. I'm not a fan of not having a numpad, but a 60% is perfect for the cramped end of my desk where I control my laptop with a 5:4 monitor and a wireless Kensington Expert Mouse. The board looks phenomenal imo, aside from one slight issue that bugs me: the PCB and plate sit too high at the back. Truth be told, I am too lazy to fix it.

As for the feel, very solid, very nice, a little heavy. The amber on the spacebar is the best part. It sounds great, but I think the pieces of weather stripping it sits on dampened it a little too much. The more I type on it, the more it grows on me. Not quite what I expected, as I thought it would be pingier (it isn't in the slightest). Here is a typing demonstration:

https://imgur.com/kX5U6AJ.mp4

Build Documentation:
Spoiler:
For the actual construction of the board, I started off with an F62 case and curved metal plate, an Alps64 PCB, and the switch plate which I had laser cut to fit just inside the opening in the case. The upper stabilizer location for the enter key was too high, so I had to move it down and made up for the gap:

That's a folded up piece of a sticky note.

I added some weatherstripping for the top plate to sit on the bottom plate, stuck to the sides of the case:

I drilled holes in the bottom plate to attach it to my plate and PCB and covered it with a piece I cut out of an antistatic bag to prevent shorts:

I paid someone to solder on the switches and diodes, as soldering is a skill that still eludes me.

I decided to put the caps on first because I wasn't sure how stable my mounting would be. Turns out it's pretty good, but I didn't know that at the time. Putting the stabilizer wire in the costar stabs made the enter key stick, so I just gave up and got rid of it. It works alright without it.

Turns out I couldn't plug in the usb cable, so I had to saw off a bit of the metal plate.

I used two 4-40 screws and two M3s with stacked nylon spacers to hold everything together.

Project complete, except I'm still on the hunt for a Windows 95 style windows key, like off of an Avant, or newer Omnikey/Focus, to replace the *.

mcmaxmcmc

10 Feb 2021, 06:16

Wow, you are nuts... nice build!

Do you have any typing tests of the keyboard? I'd love to listen to it. :)

TheInverseKey

10 Feb 2021, 07:13

Great Build!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

10 Feb 2021, 08:13

Haha - this is crazy! I definitely second the typing test request!

Chyros

10 Feb 2021, 10:07

That.... is awesome.

Foreman

10 Feb 2021, 15:18

Thanks everyone!
mcmaxmcmc wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 06:16
Do you have any typing tests of the keyboard? I'd love to listen to it. :)
//gainsborough wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 08:13
I definitely second the typing test request!
The typing test is this video link:
Foreman wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 22:28
https://imgur.com/kX5U6AJ.mp4
Let me know if it works!

Spockmaster

10 Feb 2021, 23:27

I'm supremely jealous, that looks and sounds gorgeous. One of these days I'll have a blue Alps board...

M9HM

11 Feb 2021, 09:50

The sound is just killer. The build is amazing, good job!

Ellipse

12 Feb 2021, 02:34

Great work Foreman! Thanks for sharing your customized mod with the classic style F62 case.

Foreman

12 Feb 2021, 02:57

Thanks for all the kind words!

Return to “Gallery”