Philips Terminal Keyboard X3315

doomsday_device

13 Mar 2021, 19:40

wanted to show you guys this very clean specimen, i know we had them here before but this one didnt saw much usage i assume.

sadly no sticker. not sure if there ever was one

pcb is quite beautiful too :)

i still dont know what i think about the switches, low profile linear with faint tactility. they sound good, some feel good but they have binding issues and are overall a bit inconsistent.

the build quality is outstanding with 1,7kg on the case alone, never saw this much screws on a single keyboard too.

yet no clue what i will do with it, converting it wont be easy and i would prefer to make it fully reversible.

if someone has any more infos on the machines/terminal they came with would be much appreciated

Rayndalf

14 Mar 2021, 04:26

That metal cable strain relief is badass

The font + front printing + the LEDs worth perfectly. The way that the sides and the front and back of the top case attach suggests some kind of modularity.

1980s keyboard design at it's best. Is the top part of the case metal or plastic?

Good luck getting it working, a board like that is worth the effort.

Reshala

14 Mar 2021, 08:10

wiki/Philips_torsion_spring
There you go, Philips Torsion Spring, it has been on my to try list for a long time lol. Only saw a destroyed one once.

doomsday_device

14 Mar 2021, 14:19

Rayndalf wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 04:26
That metal cable strain relief is badass

The font + front printing + the LEDs worth perfectly. The way that the sides and the front and back of the top case attach suggests some kind of modularity.

1980s keyboard design at it's best. Is the top part of the case metal or plastic?

Good luck getting it working, a board like that is worth the effort.
the case is completely metal, with a top piece which the pcb is bolted to
MVIMG_20210312_200251.jpg
MVIMG_20210312_200251.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 2546 times

thanks to melka for digging out some additional infos: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... ro-System/

• Keyboard
- Separate low profile keyboard allows operator to achieve most convenient workpositton
- The keyboard provides numerous functions for office applications
- 11 programmable function keys
- Pre-programmed function keys on separate row
- 7 programmable indicators
- 14-key numeric key pad
- Touch keys for high speed input
- Fast cursor movement keys
- N-key rollover
- Sculptured keys
- National lay-outs are available

Rayndalf

16 Mar 2021, 08:08

Of course it's multiple castings which were machined(?) and powdercoated. It reminds me a bit of this 1800 I found, but even more 80s flare. If they're anything alike all it might need is a little foam and it'll be crazy solid.

That system had to cost an arm and a leg to warrent that cost and effort, but I'm sure it feels as good as a modern custom. I guess that's another board I'll have to keep an eye out for :lol:
Attachments
20200812_231336.jpg
20200812_231336.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 2427 times

Return to “Gallery”