I think I discovered a MicroSwitch Microswitch predecessor from the early 60s

HKG

19 Mar 2021, 10:00

I have this switch assembly from the early 60s. I thought there was nothing special about it at first since there was no markings on it at all. However when I actually decided to analyze the switch further. It seems to function in a very similar way to Micro Switch microswitch switches. This is definitely not used for a keyboard switch, but its similarity to the ones found in keyboards is too close to ignore. Furthermore, it uses the exact same model of microswitch that is found in the newer keyboard modules, but in an older housing. I am not great at explaining things sometimes, so I will attach some photos.

I also do not know if the entire button module is made by MicroSwitch.

Photos and a video of me actuating it: https://imgur.com/a/aoHb4bR

Feel free to ask me any questions. I also have another module that has 5 buttons attached together, which only allow 1 to be pressed down at a time. This version also locks the switches down (I will add photos of that one if there is any interest).

I also might be able to aquire more of them if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Here is the other module: https://imgur.com/a/YrbAJEz
Last edited by HKG on 19 Mar 2021, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2021, 10:06

Welcome to the forum. Not many arrive here with something as curious as this!

It dwarfs the mighty beam!

Any idea what this beast was for? The "signal" legend just adds to the mystery.

Rayndalf

19 Mar 2021, 10:10

Super cool, any idea what it would have been used for?
I imagine it was for a piece of commerical/ lab equipment. I'm always surprised where people find stuff like this.
I really don't need any more projects, but nevertheless I'm interested.

HKG

19 Mar 2021, 10:14

Heres the other module. I edited my original post with the link as well: https://imgur.com/a/YrbAJEz

HKG

19 Mar 2021, 10:18

Muirium wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 10:06
Any idea what this beast was for? The "signal" legend just adds to the mystery.
I have absolutely no idea, but if I were to guess, I would guess maybe some telephone switchboard thingy? But that is a total guess.

Rayndalf

19 Mar 2021, 10:24

And you said you might be able to get more?

As I said before I'm pretty sure I don't need one, but that one part of me wonders...

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2021, 10:30

The legends have me thinking "phone switchboard" too. Though I'm just blindly guessing like you.

Pretty extreme piece of kit! I wonder why on earth they made them so BIIIIIGGGG!

My guess is that latching you mention, where these switches are modally grouped, is why there's a mechanism above the microswitch proper. Though whoever designed it really went to town!

Chyros

19 Mar 2021, 15:23

I believe the correct term is "jaysis fookencroist" Oo .

micmil

19 Mar 2021, 17:31

Seems like some sort of industrial control. I don't think telephone operations would require something this murder-weapony. Everything about this indicates you do NOT want those things to come unlatched on accident.

Then again it could be a laundromat coin return for all I know.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2021, 17:42

Hmm. A line like a mains line rather than a phone line maybe. Or a fuel line.

I know big planes have manual tank balancing controls for their several fuel lines, heading off to the wings and such.

But then again that release!

Tahoma

19 Mar 2021, 18:21

I'm thinking a switch off a Univac 1 console, or maybe part of a MOC2 console from the Apollo missions.

HKG

20 Mar 2021, 05:26

Ok so I went back and it appears that someone had bought all but one of the modules, so I only have a single one to let go to someone else. Still have not decided to give it to, but I would want it to be someone who has some experience documenting switches.

We should also probably come up with a name for it. Maybe Proto-MicroSwitch switches. But then again I dont know if the entire module was made by them so that might not be a fitting name. I would still not be surprised if this very switch inspired MicroSwitch to make the MicroSwitch microswitch switches.

Rayndalf

20 Mar 2021, 12:06

The more I look at it the more I think it's more of a mini switch than a micro switch. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a macro switch.

Jokes aside this thing is huge and pretty neat. Where/ how did you find it? I'm always looking for new search terms to find cool stuff.

HKG

25 Mar 2021, 07:45

Rayndalf wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 12:06
The more I look at it the more I think it's more of a mini switch than a micro switch. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a macro switch.

Jokes aside this thing is huge and pretty neat. Where/ how did you find it? I'm always looking for new search terms to find cool stuff.
I found the switch at a used computer/recycling center.

HKG

25 Mar 2021, 07:46

Muirium wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 17:42
Hmm. A line like a mains line rather than a phone line maybe. Or a fuel line.

I know big planes have manual tank balancing controls for their several fuel lines, heading off to the wings and such.

But then again that release!
That is very possible as I have seen Boeing gear there as well. I have also seen some of those MSC Fuse-Lite switches that CuriousMarc did a video on.

Return to “Gallery”