Oshima KBC-2800 [SKCC XT-layout fuckery]

zrrion

14 May 2021, 21:22

Just got this in the mail. I have been excited for this as it's an SKCC board that I didn't already have and this one appears to be completely unknown.

From what I can tell the badgesticker says Oshima but I have no idea what it went to, who actually made it, or literally anything about it.

Look at the cool plate though, very nice. Spacebar stabs suck, but you can flip the spacebar pretty easily which is funny but not actually comfortable. The caps don't fit well and they all look like they were glued to the stem initially before the glue degraded so much. The caps are pad printed or maybe silk screened, it's inconsistent as hell though even if it is pretty sharp otherwise. The flashing on the caps is also pretty bad, worst I've seen so far.

And onto the actual fuckery:
Why is the cable tied down like this

Why do the tape drives run through the keyboard

Why does this do R1, R3, R3, R3, R3? it isn't even consistent, some of the stepped keys aren't the same profile as the other keys in the row

The PCB is designed to use another switch and it was modified to accept SKCC
Like look at that fuckery.

I've seen another listing for a board like this with SKCC, and another with SMK, and I think the SMK version is the normal one with this being the modified version.

All in all the profile makes it hard to type on, the spacebar stabs suck, and the caps aren't very good. It's an interesting board but I wouldn't recommend getting one unless it is cheap and you just have to collect all the SKCC boards like I do. It sounds nice enough (space bar excluded, lube might help) but that's it.
Last edited by zrrion on 15 May 2021, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

Dingster

14 May 2021, 21:31

Very cool find, guessing these boards were just hobbled together from whatever parts they had access to.

ddrfraser1

14 May 2021, 22:51

That's awesome. That is awesome. Nice find.

Go-Kart

14 May 2021, 23:06

Cool board.

Rayndalf

15 May 2021, 01:53

That logo is so badass

John Doe

15 May 2021, 02:38

I think there's another similar one for sale on xianyu atm.

Good find.

Return to “Gallery”