Telic Alcatel Clavier 252 (Magnet Seperation switch)

Myoth

08 Jun 2021, 16:25

Bonjour !

Today I have a pretty interesting board to show you all. Despite focusing on Cherry keyboards, there are times where other keyboards pique my interest just because they look cool and are french, this was one of them. (And also out of chauvinism, the address written on the back is less than 40km away from where I live !)

I purchased it thinking it would be Rafi RS76 of some kind, considering the very distinctive shape of the keycap, but I was very weirded out by what I found, I had never seen anything of the sort. And throughout disassembling the keyboard, I got more and more confused. and when I was finally at the bottom of it, I was still as clueless as to who it was made by. In fact the only marking on the pcb reads "soldering" :lol: But, hell ! I was very excited by what kind of switch it was ! I have never had a Mag Sep board prior to this, so I was really excited that such a purchase ended up being something new and something I always thought was cool.

The keycaps are still the ones made by/for Rafi, they just have an adpater in the stem receptacle. They are white on brown doubleshots, with a few tripleshots.

Now the negative : it feels so damn bad, it's horribly bindy, it binds to hell and back. It's also pretty scratchy.

I was pretty unhappy about the keyfeel, but well, I didn't plan on using it anyway so I thought it was fine. Still, I was curious and from my observation of the switch, I thought it was pretty obvious what the problem was : the stem was too long and too tight in the housing, so lube should actually greatly improve the feeling of the switch and it did ! It felt so much better on the lone switch I tried it on. I'm not going to do the rest but, now I know :lol:

One last thing, this is the very same switch that's used in the Minitel albeit membrane-based, also made by Telic Alcatel. So, lube your minitel if they feel terrible :mrgreen:

And so I present to you the Telic Alcatel Clavier 252 from March 1985 with Magnet Seperation switches and Doubleshot or Tripleshot Rafi keycaps ! Here are the pictures :

ImageDSCF3124 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3103 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3104 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3119 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3105 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3117 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3128 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3102 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3076 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3099 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3097 by Myoth, sur Flickr

ImageDSCF3092 by Myoth, sur Flickr