ARC/Deltagold Chicony KB-5181

sterlingphoenix

08 Sep 2021, 21:33

According to the wiki, the FCC ID matches the Chicony KB-5181, but i've never heard of Deltagold before, and I can't find any references to a Chicony KB-5181 with this colour scheme -- which is pretty nice looking, in my opinion. If it didn't have... pretty terrible switches I'd consider using it.

Anyone know if this thing is worth preserving, or if I should just upcycle the keycaps? (:

paperWasp

08 Sep 2021, 22:43

Looks nice (except the BIG ass enter + small backspace which is a mix I hate).
What's wrong with those switches?
Several rubber dome Chicony boards I used years ago quite varied in their quality.

zrrion

08 Sep 2021, 23:19

Fantastic looking board, are the switches pad print? could probably source decent looking replacements for them considering the mount if desired with the possible exception of the BAE

Star of the show is the badge though, what a looker

sterlingphoenix

08 Sep 2021, 23:28

The switches are (I'm 99% sure) Futaba-ma clicky switches and they are horrible. And yeah, if it was an ANSI layout I'd mayybe think about replacing the switches, but I don't like bigass enter keys/ISO layouts.

SK-8K

09 Sep 2021, 01:56

I like Futaba switches, so I'd take the case if you don't want it. Do they still click?

Polecat

09 Sep 2021, 03:43

Wow, it's yours to do with what you please, but to me it should be preserved. We've seen several examples of the Delta Gold version of the Acer/Multitech KB-084 with blue Alps and Dolch-like color scheme, but this is the first Delta Gold 5181 I've seen. Personally I love the look, and I like to play with Futaba MA switches now and then, but the 1u backspace is a downer for me. Still I'd be interested, especially if you have the "missing" caps.

Return to “Gallery”