Resprayed Happy Hacking Keyboard

urbancamo

16 Apr 2022, 13:41

First time I've done a respray. Light wet and dry, then two coats of Rustoleum primer then two coats of Rustoleum Gun Metal. I protected the main keys with 10mm stickers, the space bar stabilizers and kickstand housings with Blutack.

I tried retrobriting the case but it didn't work - it was too far gone, however the space bar did come up ok.
Oh and look after those springs - I've managed to loose one, and there aren't too many keys on a Happy Hacking keyboard that are unused!

Mark.
Attachments
IMG_20220416_121303.jpg
IMG_20220416_121303.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 1480 times

urbancamo

16 Apr 2022, 14:49

Found the spring woot! I never seem to be able to do a job like this without taking it apart multiple times.

wobbled

17 Apr 2022, 00:27

I'm surprised your retrobrite didn't work, I've gone from a bronzed near-orange Pro 1 to bleached white. Do you have any before pictures?

I've always found those coil springs like to attached to one another - a small magnet is a great way to find & detach them when this happens.

Since you've gone for a grey colour, I'd be intrigued to see what these stickers would look like on there
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5f88AGSZrU
Silver could look pretty neat.

hellothere

18 Apr 2022, 00:13

a. Really nice job on the paint.
b. Oooh. Thanks for the linky. I've made a couple inquiries at a couple places that make nametags and I haven't received any responses.

urbancamo

18 Apr 2022, 22:57

wobbled wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 00:27
I'm surprised your retrobrite didn't work, I've gone from a bronzed near-orange Pro 1 to bleached white. Do you have any before pictures?

I've always found those coil springs like to attached to one another - a small magnet is a great way to find & detach them when this happens.

Since you've gone for a grey colour, I'd be intrigued to see what these stickers would look like on there
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5f88AGSZrU
Silver could look pretty neat.
Thanks for the info. To be honest I probably didn't give the retrobrite the best shot, so I'm sure you're right. However I wanted to give the painting a go as it is not permanent a solution and the metallic gun metal does look great!

Return to “Gallery”