NCR K5-CE-69-SFJ-S4 Keyboard

ntv242ver2

18 May 2022, 11:43

Ok so let's get this out of the way first: I legit have no idea what the hell is the name for this keyboard!! The title of the post I am giving right now is the model number that I see on the back of the keyboard, and I think that would do for now.

Recently I have acquired this keyboard from the land of opportunities - ebay

Thanks to MMcM who shared with me this: https://www.computerhistory.org/collect ... /102672973
I learn that this keyboard was made by NCR, and most importantly the keyboard module is made by MicroSwitch for NCR.

As you can see from the picture the keyboard was filthy when it got to me. The seller prob had it in their shed for many years. I counted three dead bees inside the keyboard. Anyways, I took it apart and clean it as best as I could. Here are the pictures of the keyboard after everything is clean and put back together

I figure my also dusty shed would provide a good background to take some good pics of the board, dont worry as the keyboard is now stored in a a place much better than the seller's shed and mine.

A little tear down of the keyboard

So if you are wondering what is that pig tail dangling on the side of the pcb there? It is an usb cable that i cut up and solder into the pcb to feed power into the pcb and test the convertibility of the switches. The part number of the switches are 1SW11. Thanks to safedork/ dorkvader who has helped me tremendously in testing the switches, I now figure that all these switches are pulse switches. Which is not a terribly good news as it will be very difficult to use this as a modern daily driver since the keyboard would interpret a press and a hold as the same kind of input => no mod keys. I tested thoroughly with my multimeter but as I am very dumb, I could have made huge errors in my testing and these might not be pulse switches. I will work on converting this boi in the near future

Two pcbs are included for this keyboard, one from NCR, one from MS

Last but not least, from the side there is a gap between the top and the bottom case. I can assure you that it is not a defect, or not me not putting the parts back together correctly. It is actually how the case is designed.

Crizender

18 May 2022, 11:53

Wow that cleaned up super well! Looks awesome chief :)

John Doe

18 May 2022, 11:57

Wow, very cool keyboard, nice looking and nice typing keyfeel(I know that).

All the MicroSwitch SW switches I met so far are pulse type, so I'm confused if the hold type SW switches existing.

Great cleaning job.

ntv242ver2

18 May 2022, 12:00

John Doe wrote:

All the MicroSwitch SW switches I met so far are pulse type, so I'm confused if the hold type SW switches existing.

Great cleaning job.
smarter people than me have had, and told me, about the non pulse type. So I guess there are, at the very least you only need non pulse for the mods right.

John Doe

18 May 2022, 12:08

ntv242ver2 wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Great cleaning job.
smarter people than me have had, and told me, about the non pulse type. So I guess there are, at the very least you only need non pulse for the mods right.

In addition, have u noticed if the pcb has a normal map matrix? Or 2-of-N encoding way. That matters keys rollover.

sefixmm

18 May 2022, 12:50

Wahou, that's wonderful :shock:

Muirium
µ

18 May 2022, 22:44

What a wee star! Lovely restoration pics too.

ntv242ver2

19 May 2022, 00:57

John Doe wrote:
18 May 2022, 12:08
ntv242ver2 wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Great cleaning job.

In addition, have u noticed if the pcb has a normal map matrix? Or 2-of-N encoding way. That matters keys rollover.
Hmm you know what i am actually not quite sure. I study this some more over the weekend, and ask some people for help. Currently getting different inputs from different people

Return to “Gallery”