For.A VTW-100 [Cruciform mount Silver Reed DWS]

zrrion

10 Jun 2022, 07:19

Picked this thing up forever ago and expected to document is pretty quickly and then forgot for a few years, whoops. I can't really comment on how this is ti use for video captioning for a few reasons so IDK how good this is outside of how the switches feel. Anyway here's a few pictures:

as you can see from the back here, the internals have been removed. The power cable for this was clearly modified and my suspicion is that this modification was not a good idea as there was evidence that several capacitors had exploded inside and a lot of other components had burnt. I took pictures of the damage but have lost them, if I find them later I'll update the thread, The damage was pretty intense and the capacitors that hadn't burned had leaked and corroded a lot of the other components and some of the traces.
the caps are nice doubleshots
LED switches are tripleshot even if it's not super apparent in these pictures.
The LED switches are an interesting thing to find. the LED switches are kinda stupid though, they are accomplished by moving the switch down and having a non-centered stem on the cap which is certainly one solution.
the switch that's taped over here is a non-functional, it has a slider and housing but no dome or pad on the PCB. to prevent the switch from being pressed there is a length of metal tube between the cap and the housing. The tape is presumably there to prevent errors during assembly.
you can sort of make it out here but the white powder is PTFE powder. Back when I got this I had heard good htings about using spray PTFE lube for lubing alps and decided to try it out with these switches. After a quick cleaning of the switches/housings the cruciform mount on the sliders were shoved into a piece of cardboard and sprayed with lube. This worked pretty well and while it's not perfect gets it close enough for me. I would likely try wax + grease if I were restoring it today.
individual domes suck, greatly prefer dome mats. but hey, it has NKRO which is super cool to see on a dome board.

From this we can conclude that the camera on my new phone sucks, wish the old phone worked with the new carrier but here we are. I continue to really like these switches, they feel really unique and the weighting and tactility are both really nice. Should be super easy to convert this too since the thing is brainless. Even if yours isn't cooked when you get it the keyboard assembly can just be disconnected from the main board too so a conversion would be reversible too.

Return to “Gallery”