Cherry G80-1300 (but not really) Yugoslavian Layout (These Images Will Shock You!)

Dingster

05 Nov 2022, 16:18

Found this very cool and very weird board recently, appears to be some sort of a wiki/Cherry_G80-1300 but not really since it sports a completely different (and crazy) case and absolutely no Cherry branding (it does however come with *lovely* MX vintage blacks and doubleshot Cherry keycaps we've grown to love and appreciate :D ).

Now for the weird stuff:
- the board has been converted to 5DIN and works with a computer through a passive 5DIN to PS2 adapter (all the G80-1300s I've seen were RJ11 terminal boards, the conversion looks hand done, but hear me out it gets weirder),
- the board was new in box, sadly I got no box (was thrown out by the seller),
- the case is unlike anything I've seen, including weird "pen mounts". foam feet and a foam wrist rest (think of the foam grippy handle bars on your local bus). The height of the board is adjustable using the weird pencil holder thing, but you need to open it in order to adjust it (it slides up and down and you slot the backplate into one of the holes),
- the Yugoslav caps have side printing (in sexy red!),
- it has pre-programmed macros (most of the blank caps on the board are programmed to act as macros for a software unknown to me),
- super cool RED LEDs for the lock keys.

Now, someone (thanks Jacob!) has pointed out to me that it might be an AST keyboard wiki/AST_Research due to the ROM chip having "AST" written on it and it using the same branding as other AST boards. That would make sense since the board appears to be some sort of low quantity, specialized order/reuse of old VT220 terminal Cherry keyboards for use with modern systems.

If anyone has any more info on this thing I'd sure appreciate it!

However for now enjoy some pictures of the thing:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Nov 2022, 18:22

Rather nice thing :D

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2022, 21:01

Demonic red LEDs to match those deliciously devious front legends, but of course. Chef’s kiss!

ntv242ver2

09 Nov 2022, 15:06

I think no cherry branding because someone bought the switches and the caps off cherry and manufactured this keyboard themselves. Idk, including a plate is not really a Cherry thing.

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Nov 2022, 02:48

ntv242ver2 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 15:06
I think no cherry branding because someone bought the switches and the caps off cherry and manufactured this keyboard themselves. Idk, including a plate is not really a Cherry thing.
I do agree that only the keycaps & switches were sourced from Cherry for this model - the PCB/plate/casing don't look anything like any other Cherry model, and have no indication of being Cherry made.

But, that said, there are plenty of Cherry G80s with plates. In fact, there are even G80s in LK201 layout (like the keyboard above) with plates. For example:

G80-0519
G80-0535
G80-0694

There's probably a bunch more we have no clue about too :ugeek:

Return to “Gallery”