IBM SSK club!

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 17:26

Yeah, cultural stereotypes are a right mixed bag. Some of them do have a fundamental truth. But plenty are just self-comforting defence strategies. If Americans were so fat, slow, bible obsessed and Idiocracy grade dumb, how come they got to the moon, own the world's most significant companies, and run silicon valley, Hollywood and (loosely speaking) the world? Guess we're thicker than pig shit in that case!

Mind, you Germans can have pride. Fancy cars, the world cup and (Scotland's favourite store) Lidl! Us, well, we've a lot of work to do. Hopefully some of it today, in that little UK general election we're supposed to be throwing a spanner inside…

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 May 2015, 17:40

Of course, the election. I totally forgot. Whatever happened to all those wonderful promises the Brits made right after the Scottish independency was off?
You have Lidl in Scotland? Aldi too?

hammelgammler
Vintage

07 May 2015, 22:28

Just a quick question: How do you clean your case from a Model M?
Could i throw the top in the dishwasher? I would say the back is not a great idea because of the logo...

Khers

07 May 2015, 22:31

Noooo! No dishwasher! Use some detergent and a soft brush!

hammelgammler
Vintage

07 May 2015, 22:52

Well... I already scrubbed the hell out of the top case with Isopropanol (very high percentage alcohol).
But there is still a very long line of "dirt", which doesn't want to come off. :D

Nuum

07 May 2015, 22:55

A brush should take care of that, I used a normal kitchen brush for mine and it didn't scratch the case.

Ander

08 May 2015, 07:54

I'm not worried about any of us here, though... Obviously our fingers, hands and lower arms will always be in excellent condition!

hammelgammler
Vintage

11 May 2015, 21:10

Finally i'm also in the club... :) That ESC key looks just cool. :mrgreen:

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 May 2015, 21:12

Welcome! Looks really clean, modifications worked out nicely?

hammelgammler
Vintage

11 May 2015, 21:15

Well i got it to work without a bolt-mod. The stabilizers were the problem that some modifers stucked when pressed down.
You have to put the key on, and press it exactly over the spring on the board, when pressed on too far left or right it doesn't work that well.

But they will get bolt-mod modded in a few weeks, then they should be perfect! :)

Belfong

13 May 2015, 03:16

Got lucky in Cindy’s recent sales and couple with Maxx’s talented work, I present my application into the SSK club!

I like the grey logo more!

meow a cat

13 May 2015, 04:26

Very nice Belfong! I'm glad the post office found your board!!

Did you get a coloured underlay? If so, what colour did you get?

Belfong

13 May 2015, 10:18

Thanks meow and no, I just went with the USB mod. I'd love to have a coloured underlay but I have already reached the limit of my budget. Shipping this baby cost me almost $80 !($16 to Maxx, and $65 from Maxx to Malaysia)

edit: stupid question, some SSK has IBM blue logo. Is it the date of the make or is it because grey logo is for RS/6000 while blue is for some thing else?

seebart

13 May 2015, 11:08

blue label indicates a later production date. I don't remember the exact years now. I'm sure someone here will know or check our wiki.

andrewjoy

13 May 2015, 11:17

Aint there a dot matrix logo as well ? And i am sure i have seen a silver able SSK but i may have been dreaming.

seebart

13 May 2015, 11:38

I'm not sure about a silver label SSK Andrew. Then again I do not know. It would be a super rare item that's for sure.

Khers

13 May 2015, 12:33

While a silver label would undoubtedly look cool, I have never seen one and I doubt there has ever been any in existence. I can't be certain though, but the fact that the larger silver label wouldn't fit on the SSK case, unless there was another revision of the case, is quite a clear indication to me.

seebart

13 May 2015, 12:58

True, I never thought about it that way. Even the smaller silver label would not really fit the case in my opinion.

andrewjoy

13 May 2015, 13:00

as i said may have been dreaming , but i have seen a label thats not got rounded edges on an SSK before , possibly i am thinking of the lexmak logo

Khers

13 May 2015, 13:05

Even if you were dreaming, it's quite a nice dream! Imagine the looks, the feel, the heft...

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

13 May 2015, 14:07

There definitely is SSKs with Lexmark rectangle logo. Never seen one with silver IBM logo, though.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

13 May 2015, 18:01

What about SSK with black industrial logo 0.0

andrewjoy

13 May 2015, 18:11

That exists , i don't know if the small black logo on the industrial SSK is IBM original or not. I know industrial SSKs do exist.

I wish model F SSKs existed , with all metal shell and a solenoid

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

13 May 2015, 18:42

andrewjoy wrote: That exists , i don't know if the small black logo on the industrial SSK is IBM original or not. I know industrial SSKs do exist.

What if it turns out Ellipse has one :o

Break out that wallet :twisted:

Muirium
µ

13 May 2015, 19:03

People have added solenoids to Kishsavers. Expect pricing to be highly elliptical!

andrewjoy

13 May 2015, 20:52

Redmaus wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: That exists , i don't know if the small black logo on the industrial SSK is IBM original or not. I know industrial SSKs do exist.

What if it turns out Ellipse has one :o

Break out that wallet :twisted:
To be fair i would pay it.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

13 May 2015, 21:21

Muirium wrote: People have added solenoids to Kishsavers. Expect pricing to be highly elliptical!

mu why haven't you done the same? If I were you I would already have bluetooth on my kish. It would on the go and if you were around other people somewhere you could turn on the solenoid just to show off! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

14 May 2015, 00:04

There is no Bluetooth controller for them. Yet. I tried to sweet talk Xwhatsit into it, but he's a busy fellow. Someday though the absurdity of wireless behemoths will come! Just not quite yet.

As for solenoids, we need a good fresh source for them. Robbing beam springs of their birthright is no task for gentlemen.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 May 2015, 00:24

Couldn't we just make more solenoids? Or just get them from somewhere else?

andrewjoy

14 May 2015, 00:43

Muirium wrote: There is no Bluetooth controller for them. Yet. I tried to sweet talk Xwhatsit into it, but he's a busy fellow. Someday though the absurdity of wireless behemoths will come! Just not quite yet.

As for solenoids, we need a good fresh source for them. Robbing beam springs of their birthright is no task for gentlemen.
the day i can sit on the couch and control my TV with a beam-spring will be a good day

Return to “Gallery”