Guess the computer

hoggy

06 Mar 2011, 12:28

Apologies for not turning the flash off - can't believe I didn't notice it at the time...

Findecanor

06 Mar 2011, 13:13

I'm guessing that it is an Apple I. The only ones I have seen pics of before were in wood boxes like this one.
Or is it another early kit computer, or prototype?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Mar 2011, 15:41

Definitely has to be a kit computer, I agree on that. That is about all I know, too old for me!

hoggy

06 Mar 2011, 17:35

Not an Apple I'm afraid. I can see where you're coming from though...

It's a kit. The thing on top is a cassette recorder if you can't make it out.

snerual

06 Mar 2011, 21:22

Hmm, maybe an older Atari. 800 perhaps? It's been too long ago and I honestly don't quite remember what they looked like, but the keyboard looked similar to your kit.

hoggy

06 Mar 2011, 23:10

Sorry, it's not an Atari. Now you mention it the keyboard does look a bit similar...

snerual

06 Mar 2011, 23:57

Yeah it looked somewhat familiar, although the Atari never had those white return and shift lock keys. If it's a kit it can really be anything. I once had a ZX Spectrum 48 that was transplanted in a larger case with a nice big Cherry keyboard on top. I really hated those rubber Speccy keys, so the Cherries made a huge difference when typing endless lists of code. Of course the thing did not look like a Sinclair anymore, so everyone was trying to figure out what computer I had on the desk. Much like yours here.

r99t

07 Mar 2011, 00:04

An old IBM model?

woody
Count Troller

07 Mar 2011, 00:32

It has RESET in a handy position.

hoggy

07 Mar 2011, 08:00

snerual - do you mean like the desktronic keyboard for the speccy? They were bomb - I always wanted one...
r99t - Not IBM, sorry.
woody - At least ctrl is in a good position.

This thing is rare/old. I used to collect 8-bit computers - tatung einstein, open uni hector, mattel aquarias to name a few and I'd never even heard of this one.

It dates to c1980. It was assembled by a university professor and used for his work (can't remember what his field was). It currently lives in a hybrid of mobile racking and public display in a museum in Manchester (North of England).

I've got other pictures - including a model f with it's plastic cover still intact.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Mar 2011, 13:46

I had some desktronics and keyboards like that. The best part being that you put the computer inside the keyboard.

snerual

07 Mar 2011, 16:45

Interesting you mention the desktronic. My Speccy did migrate to a desktronic first, but I ended up with a full size keyboard bolted to a case in the end. Both ends of the keyboard were wider than the case it was bolted onto. It was quite the contraption. Too bad I don't have it anymore. As far as your photo is concerned, I still don't know what it is, so I'll let others take a stab at it.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Mar 2011, 17:02

DK'tronics, not desktronics :)

hoggy

07 Mar 2011, 20:24

Okay, time for another clue...

It's from the UK.

IanM

07 Mar 2011, 22:07

Compukit UK101

in a home made case?

hoggy

08 Mar 2011, 07:54

Yes. IanM wins!!!

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 13:17

Nice, now post screenshots of you playing games on it.

IanM

08 Mar 2011, 16:10

hoggy wrote:Yes. IanM wins!!!
Hoorah for me! I'd like to thank my agent, my family, and all the fans who made this possible.

Did you make this one yourself hoggy?

hoggy

08 Mar 2011, 20:54

IanM wrote:
hoggy wrote:Yes. IanM wins!!!
Hoorah for me! I'd like to thank my agent, my family, and all the fans who made this possible.

Did you make this one yourself hoggy?
I found it in a museum. It looks nice enough but I've got enough storage issues...

The staff at museum were really helpful, they spent quite a while trying to dig up some info on it for me (hadn't been properly catalogued yet). One of the staff there (not in that day) had a 3m vertical mouse and a goldtouch keyboard.

Here's a few more pics from the museum -

snerual

08 Mar 2011, 22:20

Nice! And congrats to IanM.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 22:58

The best thing about vintage computers is the babes in the promotional pictures.

Return to “Gallery”