Acer 6311

mostwanted

16 Aug 2012, 11:44

A keyboard from Acer model 6311. The switches are ALPS-like but apparently not ALPS switches. This switch just like the ALPS - it has a very satisfying click but definitely lighter than the buckling spring.

When i got this keyboard, it was pretty dirty. The stabilisers on some keys were dislodged out of place.

Removing the switch is a bit tricky, it has 4 latches - one on each corner. I had to use a pair of pliers and jiggle both sides to pull it out.

Some switches were sticky, so i grabbed the only lubricant that i could find: Olive Oil - extra virgin (the only kind i'd use :)).
I lightly lubed the inside of the shaft where the slider and stem meets. After this process, it no longer sticks. I have no idea whether this lube will last but it seems to do the trick so far.

All cleaned up and reassembled

Last edited by mostwanted on 16 Aug 2012, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

maxrunner

16 Aug 2012, 15:25

I have an acer too a bit different than this, but the switches are exactly the same, too bad the keycaps are all yellowed. anyway the system is a rubber dome bellow the switches?can you just pull the switch without damaging anything under it?

regards,

kint

16 Aug 2012, 15:33

it's seemingly a membrane contact foil, but the Model M and the Cherry MY have those too.
Rubber dome is something different, that is just the rubber half sphericals on top of the contact foils which act as a spring.

itlnstln

16 Aug 2012, 16:05

What is the resistance on the Acer switches? Is it similar to Cherry blues or browns? I would ask you to measure it with a particular method, but such talk is not condoned by the moderators.

mostwanted

16 Aug 2012, 16:33

maxrunner wrote:I have an acer too a bit different than this, but the switches are exactly the same, too bad the keycaps are all yellowed. anyway the system is a rubber dome bellow the switches?can you just pull the switch without damaging anything under it?

regards,
Actually, i forgot to post the photo of the keys when washed and cleaned. It's as good as new. The yellow you see is probably my warm room light.

Using pliers definitely leave some scruff marks on the side. Once you get the hang of prying a couple of switches out, you'll learn to do it with speed and finest. It is best to rotate the board as you pry on each side of the switch, that way you don't need to bend your wrist in an awkward position. Just apply enough upward force until you hear a click then rotate the board to do the same on the other side of the switch.

Here's the full album: http://imgur.com/a/lFKdW
Last edited by mostwanted on 16 Aug 2012, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

mostwanted

16 Aug 2012, 16:36

kint wrote:it's seemingly a membrane contact foil, but the Model M and the Cherry MY have those too.
Rubber dome is something different, that is just the rubber half sphericals on top of the contact foils which act as a spring.

It's definitely membrane contact foil underneath. I haven't figured out how to pry the case open yet.

As for the force, it felt heavier than brown and definitely clicky so i would say it would be close to blues.

17 Aug 2012, 04:56

Nice work cleaning it. Those Acer alps compatibles are nice switches. At least someone from DT got it.

GH1391401

18 Aug 2012, 17:32

Good call on the olive oil, will definitely enhance the experience, aroma, and flavour of typing on that keyboard

mostwanted

19 Aug 2012, 08:06

GH1391401 wrote:Good call on the olive oil, will definitely enhance the experience, aroma, and flavour of typing on that keyboard
Only the best kind my good man :p

andrewjoy

21 Aug 2012, 10:49

I had acer switches once they are better than black alps IMO however they would be far better mounted in a stiffer metal plate than what my one was in its flimsy plastic. Even so they feel more firm than black alps, possibly that just my dell as its a more modern one.

JBert

21 Aug 2012, 12:50

GH1391401 wrote:Good call on the olive oil, will definitely enhance the experience, aroma, and flavour of typing on that keyboard
At least until it gums up...

mostwanted

22 Aug 2012, 12:35

JBert wrote:
At least until it gums up...
But at least it'll still be aromatic. I wonder if proper lubes are dust resistant. I'd say this is a case for mythbuster!

calavera

23 Feb 2013, 03:11

So the key caps do mount on complicated alps switches, correct?

rodtang

23 Feb 2013, 03:12

calavera wrote:So the key caps do mount on complicated alps switches, correct?
Yes.

John Doe

01 Nov 2021, 10:14

asking, if there's a way to mod this to a real alps switches keyboard?

Muirium
µ

01 Nov 2021, 12:47

Answering: if you invent one, sure enough it looks within the realm of the possible. Could be a bitch, though. Acers sit high above their plate. Real Alps aren't a drop-in replacement.

Return to “Gallery”