Keyboards in movies/TV series!

Findecanor

10 Oct 2013, 17:42

keymaster wrote:This is from the movie Avalon (2001). Amazing movie!
Spoiler:
It looks like she is typing on an Amiga 500. The layout, the LEDs and the absence of pattern above the Del key give it away. the lighting is weird, though: I can't tell whether the keyboard has been painted or not.

I dislike that she is smoking... Keep your keyboards in a smoke-free environment to preserve their value!

Findecanor

10 Oct 2013, 17:56

prdlm2009 wrote:Goldeneye (1995). ...and tough call here, but it looks like a Model M2.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/X_G3HG73cK0[/youtube]
When he puts on his glasses and in closeups, it is a compact keyboard with no function keys and with only three columns of white keys to the right the main cluster. Esc on tilde position, Backwards L-shaped Enter key, large Backspace and legends in italics, upper-case and in the lower left corner, like on a Mac keyboard.

In the side-shots when he is typing, the keyboard has function keys and a numeric keypad, but it can't be an M2 because the function keys on an M2 are all white, and these aren't.

Note also the oversized black IBM stickers everywhere.... Blatant product-placement.

keymaster

11 Oct 2013, 07:54

Findecanor wrote:
keymaster wrote:This is from the movie Avalon (2001). Amazing movie!
Spoiler:
It looks like she is typing on an Amiga 500. The layout, the LEDs and the absence of pattern above the Del key give it away. the lighting is weird, though: I can't tell whether the keyboard has been painted or not.

I dislike that she is smoking... Keep your keyboards in a smoke-free environment to preserve their value!
Wow, I think you're right! Nice catch, Amigo.

Findecanor

20 Jan 2014, 12:04

I spotted an IBM terminal with beam spring keyboard in the beginning of The secret of my success, starring Michael J Fox. I did not watch the movie, only zapped past it while watching TV.

Monkay

20 Jan 2014, 12:52

Just saw "The wolf of wall street" and spotted a lot of nice keyboards. Sadly it is too early to have some pictures.

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2014, 12:57

Oh man, I have got to see that!

Grond

20 Jan 2014, 13:19

It's coming out this week in Italy, looking forward to go and see it! As for pictures, apparently there are already good quality screeners on torrent.

Monkay

20 Jan 2014, 18:38

I am not interested in downloading this movie. It sure is a quite good "biography"-movie which entertains you about 3 hours. I was expecting a bit "more" because of the high compliments the movie got, but after all it is a very good movie. Also nice to rewatch. I guess I will buy the Blu-Ray.

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2014, 19:13

I think the idea's to go see the movie, then grab the torrent for some juicy keyboard screen caps for this thread. I certainly don't want to spoil the experience by watching a screener before going to the theatre. But I'm not pulling out my camera from the audience either!

Medowy

20 Jan 2014, 19:33

Looks like Mr. Ratburn has some modded Kinesis action going there!
(Found this picture on reddit)

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2014, 19:44

Medowy wrote:Image

Proof our people are making Arthur! I underestimated Ratburn. Or is that the Brain's desktop?

Medowy

20 Jan 2014, 20:05

Muirium wrote:
Medowy wrote:Image

Proof our people are making Arthur! I underestimated Ratburn. Or is that the Brain's desktop?
I have no idea :D I don't actually watch the cartoon ;)

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2014, 20:45

The circle of life. First you watch cartoons, then you grow up, then children show up, and you watch cartoons again…

Grond

20 Jan 2014, 21:32

Muirium wrote:I think the idea's to go see the movie, then grab the torrent for some juicy keyboard screen caps for this thread.
Yes, that's what I meant! Maybe I'll do it myself after seeing the movie at the theater. ;)

nourathar

20 Jan 2014, 22:01

hey,

I have a son and recently we watched Tron and Terminator 2 together (I'm feeding him some of the classical science fiction films in small doses..).

In Terminator 2 (1991) I noticed this workstation cum keyboard, it is in the home of Dyson, the guy who invints the artificial intelligence that in 1997 will try to destroy mankind by triggering an atomic war:
terminator2_kb.jpg
terminator2_kb.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 13691 times
What is it ? I thought it might be a HP station, but I'm probably wrong. The side of the keyboard looks like a Northgate, but then the keycaps look sort of funny (which is why I thought of HP).

And in Tron (1982) there are some keyboards too, I spotted two, but it is hard to find good shots of them.
I really like the top one, what a nice blocky blue box !
tron01kb.jpg
tron01kb.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 13691 times
tron02kb.jpg
tron02kb.jpg (102.51 KiB) Viewed 13691 times
What could those be ??

ciao,

J.

nourathar

20 Jan 2014, 22:08

nourathar wrote: What is it ? I thought it might be a HP station, but I'm probably wrong. The side of the keyboard looks like a Northgate, but then the keycaps look sort of funny (which is why I thought of HP).
The more I look at it, the more I think it actually is a Northgate, something like a 102 (without the row of function keys at the top), and the funnyness of the caps is probably just the lighting..

J.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jan 2014, 01:00

nourathar wrote:And in Tron (1982) there are some keyboards too, I spotted two, but it is hard to find good shots of them.
tron01kb.jpg
It's clearly DEC PDP equipment. Not sure which exact series or iteration.

mr_a500

21 Jan 2014, 01:48

nourathar wrote:And in Tron (1982) there are some keyboards too, I spotted two, but it is hard to find good shots of them.
tron01kb.jpg
The computer in the background is a Data General Eclipse S/230, but I couldn't find out the blue terminal. It looks like something by CDC. The Data General terminals usually used with this computer looked different:
(how can she possibly look at that screen at that angle?)

I have no idea what the second terminal keyboard is. The keys have a bit of a DEC colour scheme, but not the layout or casing.

Grond

23 Jan 2014, 19:32

I finally saw "The Wolf of Wall Street": that's sure worth watching! As for the keyboards, I think I spotted some of the same Qtrons seen in Olivers Stone's "Wall Street". The Wolf himself is a buckling spring man, and he has a Model M (white label I think) right on his desk. His employees seem to work on bulkier 122 key Ms, while his weird friend Donnie is caught typing on what may be a huge ass Alps with pad printed keys or a downright rubber dome.

Findecanor

23 Jan 2014, 21:48

Medowy wrote:Looks like Mr. Ratburn has some modded Kinesis action going there!
No no, that is clearly a old Maltron. A pretty good rendition actually, except that I haven't heard of it being produced in orange.
Older ones had the function keys in a row on the top instead of in the key wells. Numeric keypad in the centre.

Grond

16 Feb 2014, 23:10

I've just watched "Her" by Spike Jonze... no keyboards in that film because it's all voice control of course! Ever since HAL 9000 in "2001: a Space Odyssey", films have been showing us that voice control is evil! Keep using keyboards guys!

Grond

28 Feb 2014, 21:48

From Scream (1996). A tenkeyless with mouse buttons. Anyone recognizes it?

EDIT: Apparently it's a Sejin SPR-8630.

Yslen

01 Mar 2014, 02:54

Nobody has mentioned Battlestar yet?

Grond

01 Mar 2014, 10:22

What about Brazil? Keyboards are strictly mechanical in there!

Grond

01 Mar 2014, 22:49

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994). Wes himself is writing the script on a Model M!

Stand by Me (1986).

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Mar 2014, 14:01

Grond wrote:EDIT: Apparently it's a Sejin SPR-8630.
Almost the same as Buffy's Swearing Keyboard but not quite (doesn't have the stepped 1 key, but it does have the narrow arrow keys).

mr_a500

13 Mar 2014, 17:43

And in Tron (1982) there are some keyboards too, I spotted two, but it is hard to find good shots of them.
How about this?

There's a bit of lens distortion in the ad, making the terminal appear smaller - but otherwise it looks pretty close to me.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 13 Mar 2014, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

nourathar

13 Mar 2014, 17:55

hey wow, that is a good find, bravo !
Now the next question is where we can buy one !

Grond

13 Mar 2014, 18:13

"Medium scale" means it only takes one room to store it? :S

Grond

16 Mar 2014, 21:42

A good part of "True Detective" is set in 1995, so it looks like a nica place to spot some nice keyboards. Instead I only found a bunch of Selectrics. Amazing show anyway.

Return to “Gallery”