G80-0662

BimboBB

04 Sep 2013, 00:26

Some pictures of the G80-0662 which was recently up on ebay. Has quite interesting switches....and some really hard to fiddle in stab system. :roll:

Front:

Inside:

Switch1:

Switch2:

Switch3:

Stabs&Led's:

PCB:

Caps1:

Caps2:

Caps3:

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2013, 00:48

Those sphericals have vintage appeal, all right. And the board's in great shape too. What's at the other end of the cable, I wonder?

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Sep 2013, 02:26

Interesting. I spotted the other day, in an old Cherry catalogue, the use of "G80" to refer to a non-MX keyboard. Actually, it's "G 80-nnnn". I am not sure it relates to the modern G80 series.

But you definitely have a non-MX G80 keyboard (M8 switches, to be specific). That's just insane. Cherry MX isn't even derived from M8 — the MX shell is based on the M9. (M9 on the wiki is missing completely, although I'm getting at least one M9 switch soon to play with.)

You get to expand [wiki]Cherry M8[/wiki], which is really languishing!

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Sep 2013, 08:29

From what I can gather g80 refers to switches using the patented gold-crosspoint contacts. These are found in M7,M8, MX.

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Sep 2013, 09:17

Do you have proof that gold crosspoint is patented? I always thought that it was, but having since looked, I can't find anything from Cherry that actually says so, only implications that they invented it, and I don't know where I read that it was patented. Rafi also use gold crosspoint switches; whether that's under licence, I don't know.

BimboBB

04 Sep 2013, 09:37

Thanks....wasnt aware that this is a M8 switch. But dont like the switch....the short travel combined with quite high actuation force (mx black like I would say) remembers me a little about low profile rubberdomes on notebooks, just without any mushy feeling.

Will try to put that into the wiki. Not sure if it needs to be under "G80 series" or under "other Cherry keyboards"?

@mu

it has a 15pin plug.

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Sep 2013, 09:44

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Do you have proof that gold crosspoint is patented? I always thought that it was, but having since looked, I can't find anything from Cherry that actually says so, only implications that they invented it, and I don't know where I read that it was patented. Rafi also use gold crosspoint switches; whether that's under licence, I don't know.
I remember seeing a patent on one of dirges old scans, but i might be mistaken.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Sep 2013, 10:38

The same seller is now offering another identical board (but with the same pic):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/370884864094

By the way, he seems to have given up shill-bidding by now - but felt compelled to threaten me with retaliation :lol:

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2013, 13:35

Indeed, I spotted that. Do these caps work at all on regular MX… (I'm guessing not. The mount is too shallow, and quite likely too narrow to even let an MX stem in.)

BimboBB

04 Sep 2013, 13:50

I guess they fit. Doesnt look more narrow than mx caps. Just the small height/shallow mount might be a problem. Will try tonight.

Findecanor

04 Sep 2013, 15:51

I think that someone GH got hold of that before, and tested the caps. They should fit MX switches, but the keycaps mounts are not as deep.

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2013, 18:40

kbdfr wrote:The same seller is now offering another identical board (but with the same pic):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/370884864094

By the way, he seems to have given up shill-bidding by now - but felt compelled to threaten me with retaliation :lol:
Well, whatever went on this time, it was sniped at the last minute I see, for not very much at all.

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Sep 2013, 19:45

Muirium wrote:Indeed, I spotted that. Do these caps work at all on regular MX… (I'm guessing not. The mount is too shallow, and quite likely too narrow to even let an MX stem in.)
[wiki]Cherry MX-M8 Adapter[/wiki]
BimboBB wrote:Will try to put that into the wiki. Not sure if it needs to be under "G80 series" or under "other Cherry keyboards"?
G80 series; the definition of G80 series needs revising to match our new understanding of it.

dorkvader

06 Sep 2013, 04:56

Here is a picture of an mx keycap on my LPFK
http://i.imm.io/1dcDC.jpeg

From here: http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t6173.html

andreas

19 Aug 2021, 17:45

BimboBB wrote:
04 Sep 2013, 00:26
Some pictures of the G80-0662 which was recently up on ebay. Has quite interesting switches....and some really hard to fiddle in stab system. :roll:
So true. I received mine today and had to meditate my impatient self to a calm state :lol:

Nice spherical keycaps with flat top edges, hard to find these days. They look deeper than they actually feel.
Cherry_gh80-0662h.jpg
Cherry_gh80-0662h.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 8739 times

Return to “Gallery”