Random keyboards, lovingly photographed

alienman82

06 May 2016, 05:00

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 May 2016, 05:05

Those modifiers are scary.

jacobolus

06 May 2016, 10:20

What’s “scary” or “odd” about the Minicom IV?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 May 2016, 14:31

jacobolus wrote: What’s “scary” or “odd” about the Minicom IV?
Haha that's awesome jacobolus, I'd love to have that funky little Minicom IV on my desk. :D

jacobolus

07 May 2016, 11:40

The Minicoms with these keycaps also have nice “vintage” MX black switches. (Note: the linked video wasn’t by me; I found it in a google image search for “Minicom IV”.)

Khers

09 May 2016, 21:04

seebart

09 May 2016, 21:14

Your up-and-coming Topre user Khers? With a keypuller in hand. :) Congrats on both! :D

Khers

09 May 2016, 21:23

Thanks!

Yeah, she decided to help me out a little back when I was documenting my collection.

She hasn't quite learned how to use the keypuller just yet, but I'll teach her soon enough. She does seem to enjoy pressing keys, however... Best toy ever.

Madhias
BS TORPE

09 May 2016, 21:32

Really cute, look at those baby hands!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

10 May 2016, 10:59

Kids and keyboards, always have loved these kind of photos :) I remember when my daughter was that small, now she will go to school and I'm building her first keyboard ... time does fly :)

seebart

10 May 2016, 18:43

Transparent keycap tops IBM 1390888:
IMG_20160510_175904.jpg
IMG_20160510_175904.jpg (935.72 KiB) Viewed 22682 times

DanielT

10 May 2016, 19:31

Nice :) How does it feel to type on them?

terrycherry

10 May 2016, 19:40

Great look about the transparent keycaps!
Share more photos of this keyboard.

seebart

10 May 2016, 20:11

DanielT wrote: Nice :) How does it feel to type on them?
Pretty much like regular two piece Model M keycaps.
terrycherry wrote: Great look about the transparent keycaps!
Share more photos of this keyboard.
Yes coming soon. ;)

Khers

10 May 2016, 22:20

Madhias wrote: Really cute, look at those baby hands!
Spherical baby hands are the best hands! (As evidenced by your wonderful photo of your son reaching for a brobot ;))
DanielT wrote: Kids and keyboards, always have loved these kind of photos :) I remember when my daughter was that small, now she will go to school and I'm building her first keyboard ... time does fly :)
Cool! What are you putting together for your daughter? I just got the final pieces for a keyboard for my wife, who after a lot of persuasion has agreed to accept a keyboard upgrade (a lubed and Hypersphered Novatouch).

DanielT

11 May 2016, 15:31

Well, it's a custom 1800, it has a Dolch PCB, blue LED's , I still have to make some adjustments but this is how it looks at this moment :

I thought that Clicky MX Blues are the best for a first keyboard, and the Blues in Dolch keyboards are the best. I'm typing right now on this board and it feels very good. I will explain more from what I did in my topic. This isn't even a good photo.

derzemel

11 May 2016, 15:33

DanielT wrote: Well, it's a custom 1800, it has a Dolch PCB, blue LED's , I still have to make some adjustments but this is how it looks at this moment :
Spoiler:
I thought that Clicky MX Blues are the best for a first keyboard, and the Blues in Dolch keyboards are the best. I'm typing right now on this board and it feels very good. I will explain more from what I did in my topic. This isn't even a good photo.
wow... you are really fast :lol:

DanielT

11 May 2016, 15:44

I drag this project for more than 5 months, I had to get it out of my system :lol: and have also the board for my daughter done :)

Crossfire

11 May 2016, 18:36

Great project, Daniel! Blues or clears feel best on these pcb mount boards;)
Had blacks on mine and didn't really dig them very much...almost horrible to type on :)

Pro tip: use a set of triumph adler or something with white/beige alphas...that'll be too hot to handle :)
My poor, almost unicorn attempt with 1800:

DanielT

11 May 2016, 18:54

My wife has spmething like that in her 1800, but it's a true unicorn barf board you can see it in the thread with my collection.
This board is intended for a kid, so it must be dirt proof (black caps :D ) :lol: , clicky to be fun, and light switches. A black case would have been perfect but this was the only one I could get.

Khers

11 May 2016, 20:20

Am I correct in my analysis when coming to the conclusion that 1800 is a girl thing in your family? My wife didn't enjoy the 1800 one bit. She deemed it too large, instead eyeing one of my HHKBs. Ultimately she didn't like the lack of arrows or the "weird" shape of the enter key though...

In other news, when I was searching for an aluminium case, DanielT kindly asked if I'd want to borrow one of his for a little while and see what I thought of the added heft and rigidity. Today, this little beauty arrived:
Sure is heavy. Sure is pretty. Sure is rigid. Not so sure if rigidity is what I want though. I prefer HHKBs to Realforces and PCB mount Cherries to plate mount Cherries. Maybe I just don't dig rigidity, but it's too early to tell.

Favourite:

Prelim

11 May 2016, 20:45

wow, DAT sticker!!

I dream about having a hammer replica everyday as well :(

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

12 May 2016, 08:56

I must also say nice case, maybe someday we can launch a new round for this stickers?

DanielT

12 May 2016, 09:03

Damn, the case looks better than I remember :lol: That sticker is really cool and we should make a GB for these, maybe we can talk to Happy and make them in the same place as the HHKB stickers. I want more because they look amazing!

I guess 1800 is a girl thing in my family :lol: It's the perfect layout and size, strange enough on her board my wife has MX Black, the stock ones, she said what I'm using (55g or MX Red) is much too light for her :lol: and she types on that board like it's a machine gun.

emdude
Model M Apologist

12 May 2016, 09:10

Wow, great-looking case. :) I'd totally love to get some of those DT stickers too, they look rad. 8-)

Khers

12 May 2016, 09:28

Yeah, I'd be up for some DT stickers as well!

I think the case looks just like you remember it, it's the camera lying to you, Daniel!

Stock MX Blacks you say? Her hands must be as strong as a lumberjack's!

seebart

12 May 2016, 11:35

DanielT wrote: DThat sticker is really cool and we should make a GB for these, maybe we can talk to Happy and make them in the same place as the HHKB stickers. I want more because they look amazing!
Agreed, I'd like a few more of those. I'm sure webwit still has the original file somewhere.
IMGP9509.JPG
IMGP9509.JPG (967.36 KiB) Viewed 22437 times

DanielT

12 May 2016, 11:55

@Khers: She has really small hands, I don't have a clue how she can type on that. If I type on MX Black I get pain in my fingers after a while, it's a mystery to me :lol: And she has an amazing speed on that board :shock:

@seebart: we have to talk to webwit and after that talk to Happy maybe we can do a small GB

eekee

12 May 2016, 14:04

DanielT wrote: @Khers: She has really small hands, I don't have a clue how she can type on that. If I type on MX Black I get pain in my fingers after a while, it's a mystery to me :lol: And she has an amazing speed on that board :shock:
I think shorter fingers may mean the muscles controlling the fingers have better leverage. maybe the stresses on the bones joints and ligaments factor into it too. I know I liked the quite strongly-sprung keyboard of my Atari 800XL better when I was 12 than I do now. I don't know how much use that memory is, though; I spend a lot more time typing now than I did when I was 12.

seebart

20 May 2016, 16:06

Ericsson type 1121:
IMGP3194.JPG
IMGP3194.JPG (976.05 KiB) Viewed 22302 times

Return to “Gallery”