Post your keyboard/keycaps!

andrewjoy

14 Oct 2015, 13:42

Where can i get me some of of the 60% alps action!

i need an AEK2 now for caps . and some cream switches !

klikkyklik

14 Oct 2015, 13:43

@sth: Very nice! What is the approximate actuation force of the browns? I don't see a build thread on this (unless I missed it) - is there one or were you planning on making one?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

14 Oct 2015, 13:44

@Mu - your very favorite place, Massdrop. Pexonpcs.co.uk has em too. i will snap a pic in a few minutes.
honestly low profile cases arent that good for aek caps.

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 13:46

Yeah, it's a nice look, but I sense trouble from that switch shot.

I want to know about the stabs as well! And how you got your hands on a custom plate so quick.

@Andy: My plan was to use my spare AppleDesign Keyboard caps for something much like Sth's board there, preferably with Creams. And to test it out with my AEK I caps first…

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

14 Oct 2015, 13:50

Here's the case in the UK: http://pexonpcs.co.uk/products/60-silve ... =899015271

andrewjoy DONT TELL ME YOUD RIP UP A PERFECTLY GOOD BOARD FOR PARTS?!?!?!?!?! :evilgeek:

klikkyklik - uh maybe like 60-70g? heavy for me but im getting used to it. i didnt really do a build thread. i have some parts and during pics i might put up :D will definitely do a build thread for my next one but it could be a few months before i get the pcb from the group buy.

mu: i think a regular poker case or something else with high walls would be better. i had a plate cut (actually a friend took care of the ordering since he's dutch) out of acrylic. not my favorite but it does the job. makes bottoming out a little less intense than with a steel plate i guess. lucky you for snagging an appledesign with alps caps :)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

14 Oct 2015, 13:56

side shot:

not TOO bad but it does leave a lot exposed thanks to the Apple Bottom Jeans (boots with the fur not included) :maverick:

the stabilizers are standard alps stabs, I used the aek spacebar stab as well. due to the plate thickness, i had to do some slight modification. i cut off the 'snaps' from the wire clips so they would slide neatly into the holes. then i dabbed hot glue on all four sides of the clip and quickly dropped them in place. it's not pretty but i was able to get the clips fairly stable.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

14 Oct 2015, 14:01

@Mu: I have a stock Poker case on my Alps 60% and it's perfect, the nice thing you can get one off Aliexpress for 19$ shipped, can't get cheaper than that, and it's very nice quality.
Really people should get one of these nice Alps PCB's , I'm so happy I could be one of the prototype testers, it was one of the nicest builds I ever made, and a very good chance to test Alps is my favourite format 60% .
@sth: you could find a cheap Dell board with black Alps and swap the springs. The springs in Black Alps are lighter and feel very good.
I know, I know, I shouldn't encourage people to destroy vintage keyboards :lol:

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 14:05

Damn low profile, that! I wonder how it looks with MX.

My caps were $15 from Cindy, along with my $25 AEK I. She even pulled them for me so she wouldn't have to ship the whole AppleDesign keyboard… she knows how we feel about those!

@DanielT: For me, a 60% needs something special. Or I'll never use it because my HHKB! A metal case is one way. Wireless is another…

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

14 Oct 2015, 14:07

DanielT wrote: @Mu: I have a stock Poker case on my Alps 60% and it's perfect, the nice thing you can get one off Aliexpress for 19$ shipped, can't get cheaper than that, and it's very nice quality.
Really people should get one of these nice Alps PCB's , I'm so happy I could be one of the prototype testers, it was one of the nicest builds I ever made, and a very good chance to test Alps is my favourite format 60% .
@sth: you could find a cheap Dell board with black Alps and swap the springs. The springs in Black Alps are lighter and feel very good.
I know, I know, I shouldn't encourage people to destroy vintage keyboards :lol:
i have 40ish more browns i miiiiiight mod with lighter springs for another build (just the alphanums) but i also have a really nice set of cream damped alps, and i would like one tactile alps board. while im at it, i wish i had tactile browns... i can dream right 8-)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

14 Oct 2015, 14:16

Muirium wrote: Damn low profile, that! I wonder how it looks with MX.

My caps were $15 from Cindy, along with my $25 AEK I. She even pulled them for me so she wouldn't have to ship the whole AppleDesign keyboard… she knows how we feel about those!

@DanielT: For me, a 60% needs something special. Or I'll never use it because my HHKB! A metal case is one way. Wireless is another…
The low profile looks the same with MX, I'm not a big fan of it. An Alps 60% is special enough :D Metal case is cool, I have to admit.

@sth: have you tried Black Alps, these are light and tactile, just slightly tactile but I like them.

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 14:16

Damped tactile is Alps at its best.
Spoiler:
The reason I prefer linear MX over all the others is because MX has a downright crappy tactile bump. Alps does it better. Not as rich as Space Invaders, but very nicely damped. And easier to build into customs…

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

14 Oct 2015, 14:55

@DanielT no i have not yet tried black alps. someday!

mu: i cant stand any MX besides clears. i have a batch of those Zealio clear replicas in the mail but no board to build them on :(

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 15:03

I've a big bag of PCB mount clears I should use someday. (One of Julle's nutty giveaways. Thanks Julle! Stay nutty!) My current plan is to pop 39 or so of them into a THKB (Neophyte's long running 40% project) but I'll wait until he has a case I can grab as well. The good thing about PCB mount is I can forget a plate (those aren't always a good thing for keyfeel, I find, especially for 60% and smaller) and keep my options open. Ergo clears. Then failing that, straight to light Korean spring ninja* reds. I bought a bunch of different spring weights from DanielT, see. He's one of my many enablers!

*There's nothing ghetto about wearing black.

andrewjoy

14 Oct 2015, 15:48

Muirium wrote: @Andy: My plan was to use my spare AppleDesign Keyboard caps for something much like Sth's board there, preferably with Creams. And to test it out with my AEK I caps first…
Why do that when you can have RAINBOW ALPS!

https://goo.gl/photos/s4fvYcvUD2FMfL4z5

updated link for photos

please excuse crappy photos , its dark in the server room

I just found this today in work. New in box. Going to let our production guys use it, its better than this piece of shit

http://www.logickeyboard.com/images/htm ... s/FCP2.asp

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 16:53

Hmm… pinstripes don't make me feel good about which era of Apple keyboard this fella is meant to be:

Although, speaking of Apple keyboards, they did just update them yesterday. I should write a news post. Okay, so I did:

http://deskthority.net/product-news-f44 ... 11802.html

andrewjoy

14 Oct 2015, 17:44

For a dome with slider it aint 1/2 bad , think of it as a more tactile brown with soft landing and loads of wobble , but very smooth.

( the one i linked)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Oct 2015, 11:11

Muirium wrote: Damped tactile is Alps at its best.
i would love to pop some damped sliders into brown SKCM, partially to test the feel and partially to further enrage the alps police with my alps mad science :evilgeek:

if i dont end up getting rid of my excess brown alps, i might throw in some damped sliders to try damped linears :ugeek:

andrewjoy

15 Oct 2015, 11:16

how many extras do you have ?

You also don't happen to have a few white alps do you i broken one of mine :( too much lube always its too much lube!

i would also like to try a dampened slider in a blue alps ! that would be interesting !

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Oct 2015, 11:20

andrewjoy wrote: how many extras do you have ?

You also don't happen to have a few white alps do you i broken one of mine :( too much lube always its too much lube!

i would also like to try a dampened slider in a blue alps ! that would be interesting !
i have a frankenboard I can harvest a few white alps from, assuming they arent actually smk or something. gotta pop the keys to check.

i have about 40 extras, enough for alphanums on another board + a few spares i would like to pass around to people who are interested. once i know how many i need for myself i will probably post a lil thread for the leftovers. spread the alps joy!!!

andrewjoy

15 Oct 2015, 11:22

or i could just put a tester brown on the escape key and nab that one to replace my A, the omnikey will live again ! I have a quick blast with the old girl, i forgot how much i love proper tactile and click alps.

Loverly caps as well on them omnikeys, if only they where proper ansi and not big ass enter !

HzFaq

15 Oct 2015, 11:23

I'd take a couple of browns if there are spares going. I think I have some oranges and blacks kicking around and some white clones from a modern FK-2001 so can spread some love around.

scottc

15 Oct 2015, 11:25

I'd like to try out a couple of browns. I can swap you some blue Alps, though I know you don't like clicks.

andrewjoy

15 Oct 2015, 11:39

And i have a huge bag of super light liner blacks i made from an old dell , if anyone wants some!

Muirium
µ

15 Oct 2015, 11:44

When you say huge… how many?

We need to make an Alps bank!

andrewjoy

15 Oct 2015, 11:58

at least 100

scottc

15 Oct 2015, 12:00

Can I try a couple too andrewjoy? I'll swap you for that blue alps switch I mentioned once I finish my 60%. :D

HzFaq

I have (102w less a 60% boards) worth of black alps too. Not willing to mod them to linear, alps are too fiddly for my clumsy fingers.

andrewjoy

I think we should start an alps swap thread !

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Oct 2015, 12:10

sure if someone wants to swap me some brown tactiles, i support this swap thread :evilgeek:

HzFaq

17 Oct 2015, 22:48

It's so very very nearly a keyboard...diodes soldered, firmware written, switches cleaned, I'm now just waiting for the paint to dry on the plates. Super excited for this one, going to get it finally finished tomorrow evening.
Spoiler:

Return to “Gallery”