Post your keyboard/keycaps!

AnnoyedWalrus

17 Dec 2021, 11:41

Wow, thank you for your comment! I had read about the Soarer converter but I sort of assumed that it was basicly one of those PS/2 to USB converters but for another protocol but it turns out that it can do everything I want it to! The Kishsaver is possibly the best looking keyboard I have seen, I love how clean it is but that it still has the all important pen tray.
I am waiting for my repro F77 (I like my numpad and arrowkeys) to arrive from Ellipse but as I am a late arrival to the party I expect it to take a while longer. When I think about it I should probably add some relegendable keycaps and replacement foam for the F122 (I hope mr Ellipse won't get tired of me adding more stuff to my order).

Muirium
µ

17 Dec 2021, 15:05

You’re welcome. Never underestimate Soarer!

digital_matthew

19 Dec 2021, 02:32

As someone who daily drives an F122 I can confirm that there is a Soarer's converter especially for that terminal connector. A converter for an F AT won't fit. It's also super convenient to be able to remap all of those glorious keys. You can contact orihalcon and he may be able to sell you one. Enjoy!

AnnoyedWalrus

19 Dec 2021, 20:27

Thank you for the help, I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282575692501?h ... Sw-VtbGeV7 on orihalcons eBay-store, it seems to have the correct connector. I also noticed that orihalcon had those cool buckling/beamspring keychains so I expect that my order might become rather expensive.
On a sidenote, I tried connecting my old Model M to my computer to see how it would be to play some games on and I have to say that it worked much better than I expected. I've had some bad experiences with the hysteresis on Cherry Blue switches and was afraid of a similar experience with the buckling spring but my fears were completely unfounded.

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2021, 20:56

:lol:

MX blue is just a nasty kludge. Buckling spring doesn’t fake it, so no such problem.

You may want to avoid using WASD keys for movement on an M, however. They’re 2KRO, and though well implemented, that was a decade before Quake made arbitrary alphas as vital to chord as the arrow keys.

Model F is of course NKRO so nothing to worry about there. The king has regal ways. :D

zrrion

19 Dec 2021, 21:55

never had issues with WASD on an M lol, unless Muirium knows of some specific combinations of keys that both don't work and would be common to press I think they're talking out their ass

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2021, 22:10

Mu: he / him / that Scottish bugger, thanks. ;)

I vaguely recall playing Battlefield on my SSK long ago and having real trouble with WASD movement. I tend to go a bit mental with fidgety arrow movements when lining up sights and have zero patience whatsoever for input devices getting between me and my epic sniper shots. Switched back to F and never looked back. (Metaphorically. You check your six constantly in any war zone. There’s always some bastard sneaking around…)

digital_matthew

20 Dec 2021, 03:05

Try PMing orihalcon here. He may give you a better price since he won't have to deal with eBay fees.

AnnoyedWalrus

20 Dec 2021, 21:44

Muirium wrote:
MX blue is just a nasty kludge. Buckling spring doesn’t fake it, so no such problem.
Yeah, buckling springs klang because they have to klang, I don't know why I ever stopped using it.
Muirium wrote:
You may want to avoid using WASD keys for movement on an M, however. They’re 2KRO, and though well implemented, that was a decade before Quake made arbitrary alphas as vital to chord as the arrow keys.
I didn't notice any KRO problems but it's good to be aware of the possibility. By the way, the latest official updates for Quake makes it really easy to get going. Sure, everything the updates does could be done with mods but it's really nice to have everything done for you. The game really holds up, the "logo screens" are pretty obnoxious but I am going to pretend that they are done for some sort of satiric purposes.
Muirium wrote:
Model F is of course NKRO so nothing to worry about there. The king has regal ways. :D
I am looking forward to finding out!
digital_matthew wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 03:05
Try PMing orihalcon here. He may give you a better price since he won't have to deal with eBay fees.
Yeah, I should probably have done that but I placed the order at the same time I made the post. But oh well, the guys and gals at eBay got to eat as well. :)

mrprofessor

24 Dec 2021, 05:38

Muirium wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 22:10
Mu: he / him / that Scottish bugger, thanks. ;)

I vaguely recall playing Battlefield on my SSK long ago and having real trouble with WASD movement. I tend to go a bit mental with fidgety arrow movements when lining up sights and have zero patience whatsoever for input devices getting between me and my epic sniper shots. Switched back to F and never looked back. (Metaphorically. You check your six constantly in any war zone. There’s always some bastard sneaking around…)
Gib that SSK to me😋

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2021, 10:50

mrprofessor wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 05:38
Gib that SSK to me😋
If the Model MF project cools off again, I should really sell at least one of my hoarded SSKs. Indeed, if I do get around to upgrading one to FSSK level, the other two may start getting anxious. :roll:

schwi

25 Dec 2021, 00:26

Clickerclack wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 14:27
Maybe not much compared to the other keyboards in this thread, but I would like to show my first vintage keyboard.
20211130_161949.jpg

20211130_162011.jpg

Found this in a attic. It's a SK-2300H, possibly from BTC (1.25U ESC). Types much better than my previous Skiller Pro and has a more bassy sound :D
It is pretty yellowed though.
domes deserve more love than they get, often times its "oh, it's just domes" but there are a lot of domes wayyy better than a lot of mechanical switches!!

AnnoyedWalrus

25 Dec 2021, 14:56

schwi wrote:
25 Dec 2021, 00:26
domes deserve more love than they get, often times its "oh, it's just domes" but there are a lot of domes wayyy better than a lot of mechanical switches!!
It's a bit like the people who say they "Hate CGI in movies", no you don't hate CGI in movies, you hate bad CGI in movies.

shine

27 Dec 2021, 12:57

Anyone knows if there is a better choice of color than RAL 7030 for industrial gray?

This 3276 was powdercoated in ral7030 with black imprimation. I think a better result would be achieved with a dark green color imprimation instead of black....
Attachments
grey industrial.JPG
grey industrial.JPG (4.51 MiB) Viewed 11367 times

Bjerrk

27 Dec 2021, 14:09

shine wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 12:57
Anyone knows if there is a better choice of color than RAL 7030 for industrial gray?

This 3276 was powdercoated in ral7030 with black imprimation. I think a better result would be achieved with a dark green color imprimation instead of black....
Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25598

SK-8K

29 Dec 2021, 02:20

UnattributedCC

11 Jan 2022, 06:08

Hi!

I'm new to Deskthority. Found the site from Chyrosran22's videos on YouTube.

Didn't see a place to introduce myself, so I thought posting my current (just built) keyboard would be a good introduction...

This is a Feker 71-key keyboard. It's a die-cast aluminum case (1270g!), plate mount, hot swap, Cherry MX style keyboard. I've outfitted this one using Kaihl Box jade switches and Akko Silent key caps.
Top-down view.
Top-down view.
feker_Keeb_001.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 11057 times
Side view.
Side view.
feker_Keeb_002.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 11057 times

schwi

11 Jan 2022, 08:15

UnattributedCC wrote:
Hi!

Didn't see a place to introduce myself, so I thought posting my current (just built) keyboard would be a good introduction...

This is a Feker 71-key keyboard. It's a die-cast aluminum case (1270g!), plate mount, hot swap, Cherry MX style keyboard. I've outfitted this one using Kaihl Box jade switches and Akko Silent key caps.

feker_Keeb_001.jpg

feker_Keeb_002.jpg
I like the case this board has. I bought a KBD67 Lite but i'm still waiting on other parts to get here before i can build it.

UnattributedCC

11 Jan 2022, 08:21

schwi wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 08:15
UnattributedCC wrote:
Hi!

feker_Keeb_001.jpg

feker_Keeb_002.jpg
I like the case this board has. I bought a KBD67 Lite but i'm still waiting on other parts to get here before i can build it.
I had to order this on Banggood - took over two months for it to get here... I've seen the KBD67 Lite - it's a nice looking keyboard, but is missing some of the keys I consider to be necessary (like the Ins, Del and right Ctrl).

Clickerclack

14 Jan 2022, 22:24

20220114_221525.jpg
20220114_221525.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 10815 times
20220114_221548.jpg
20220114_221548.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 10815 times
The vintage keyboards keep coming :). I am typing this on a D-91275 obtained from my work. They were throwing it away and just asked if I could keep it. This is a freebie from my company. This is my first small keyboard I've typed on. I am used to full sizes, so this 75% layout is a bit weird at the moment.
Cherry ML; Heard quite a lot about it, both positive and negative. These do have a LOT of spring ping though.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2022, 22:56

G84s are fun, but yeah you spotted it. Scuffy feeling and noisy too. Nice to keep around for when something small is vital (I was on a tiny board earlier during my soldering, which takes up all the desk). But, like an ultra compact car, an unlikely daily driver.

stratokaster

15 Jan 2022, 11:03

Personally, I don't mind ML switches, but the G84 layout is kinda meh.

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2022, 11:09

Briefly tried one, back in the DT Surprise Box touring days. As one who hits space right under the N and M keys, you can imagine what I made of it!

A keyboard like that is for keeping tucked away with the server. Occasional use, in an occasional form factor. ;)

ITX-Fan

15 Jan 2022, 12:08

Clickerclack wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 22:24
I am typing this on a D-91275 obtained from my work.
Sorry, but that's funny. :mrgreen:

"D" means Germany and "91275" is the zip code of Auerbach/Opf., where Cherry is based. You are typing on a G84-4100PCMEU.

schwi

22 Jan 2022, 08:51

there is something so foolishly lovable about things that are terrible and weird

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2022, 10:37

Ah, that temptingly abominable little keyboard! I want it to be good, but I know it truly isn't, but I Want to Believe… :D

TNT

22 Jan 2022, 15:47

It's a good doorstopper, that's what it is

AnnoyedWalrus

22 Jan 2022, 17:43

Please forgive a newbie but what is that... thing? I dont know why but I kinda like it!

jsheradin

22 Jan 2022, 17:52

AnnoyedWalrus wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 17:43
Please forgive a newbie but what is that... thing? I dont know why but I kinda like it!
Datalux SpaceSaver

I have an NIB one with MEI switches. It's super cute and well built but it's a phenomenally bad typing experience. The caps aren't standard spacing and the switches feel almost non-Newtonian. It's also the only board I've come across that has a 2U tall enter key.

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2022, 18:15

Chyros loves it!

Return to “Gallery”