Fresh paint for an old battleship

quantalume

31 May 2014, 22:19

As we all know, sometimes you walk away with a real gem from eBay auctions, while at other times you end up with a pig in a poke. I fell victim to the latter when I bought a silver-label M-122 from a seller who advertised having multiple boards in the same great condition but only bothered to photograph one of them. I regret not taking any "before" photos, but the original case had a number of flaws including deep cuts which looked like they were put there with a knife and areas in which the plastic had been worn smooth from many years of hard use. I had actually tossed the case in the garbage at one point but fished it back out when I decided to do a full restoration.

Most of us got bored long ago with the IBM beige color scheme, but one thing you have to admit is that it is tasteful. They obviously put some thought into the pearl-and-pebble combination, compared to the tacky gray-and-black combination that Unicomp came up with on their own. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to find keycaps as nice as IBM originals, I decided to work within the existing color scheme.

This is what I came up with. The color is called Satin Fossil, and, depending on the light source and angle, it appears gray, green or taupe.
1.jpg
1.jpg (510.96 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
You can see that it works very well with the pebble keys.
2.JPG
2.JPG (204.6 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
I've found that there is a bit of variation in hue, sheen and legend quality even among genuine IBM caps, so I selected a set from my inventory that had the sharpest, blackest legends and the most uniform hue.
3.JPG
3.JPG (199.13 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
Due to the imperfections in the original case, I had to sand the entire surface totally smooth and then recreate the texture using the appropriate (satin) paint. I applied four coats, with 7 days' drying time and light sanding between coats two and three. I think the surface texture came out pretty nice.
5.jpg
5.jpg (152.31 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
While I was at it, i modernized the layout a bit.
4.jpg
4.jpg (185.22 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
The feet are a contrasting Matte Deep Forest Green. Pro tip for anyone painting the feet: mask off any areas that aren't visible with the feet extended as any paint on the internal areas will cause the retraction mechanism to bind.
6.jpg
6.jpg (314.35 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
As with most of my old IBM boards, I've fitted a Soarer's converter and custom Techflex "rattlesnake" USB cable.
7.jpg
7.jpg (423.94 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
Internally, there were a total of 23 popped rivets. I've sourced these delightful hex pan head screws locally, which are low enough in profile to even use on the front row.
8.jpg
8.jpg (423.4 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
What I've found is that the early Model Ms appear to be better made than the later Lexmark and Unicomp boards. For one thing, the steel backplate is thicker. To me, a properly bolt-modded, early M is almost as nice to type on as an F.

Hypersphere

31 May 2014, 23:18

Looks great! It's unfortunate that the paint company came up with a name that has "fossil" in the title! These keyboards may be old, but they are far from fossilized!

How did you deal with the IBM badge while painting? Did you remove it and then put it back, or did you carefully mask it?

Madhias
BS TORPE

31 May 2014, 23:40

Perfect paint job! I'm zooming around your pictures to find some faults :)

That looks very nice, sadly you don't have a before/after shot! The color 'Satin Fossil' fits perfect, better not to make some experiments in that case.

scottc

01 Jun 2014, 00:12

Beautiful! You're making me really crave an IBM 122-key of my own... :D

quantalume

01 Jun 2014, 00:56

Thanks for the compliments, folks.

Regarding the IBM badge, I knew from experience that they can be stuck on there pretty tenaciously, except when you want them to be, in which case they fall off and get lost. :lol: Not wanting to damage anything visible, I used a small end mill chucked in a rotary tool to make a hole in the plastic behind the badge, then pressed the badge out from the rear.
9.jpg
9.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 7024 times
I used the same hole to squirt hot glue back in to hold the badge in place once I'd finished painting.

Hypersphere

01 Jun 2014, 01:37

quantalume wrote:Thanks for the compliments, folks.

Regarding the IBM badge, I knew from experience that they can be stuck on there pretty tenaciously, except when you want them to be, in which case they fall off and get lost. :lol: Not wanting to damage anything visible, I used a small end mill chucked in a rotary tool to make a hole in the plastic behind the badge, then pressed the badge out from the rear.
Spoiler:
9.jpg
I used the same hole to squirt hot glue back in to hold the badge in place once I'd finished painting.
Glad I asked! I never would have thought of this! Thanks!

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2014, 01:48

scottc wrote:Beautiful! You're making me really crave an IBM 122-key of my own... :D
I have one that's spare. The later style of Model M without the rotating feet or big top deck from the Model F's case design. I bolt modded it and cleaned it up, but 122 keys just aren't my thing and it is my least used but working board.

Nice work, Quantal. Reminds me that I need some spare buckling spring caps, too. These caught my eye the other day:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/NEW/USAPLSET

APL! But Unicomp. Anyone know if they're any good?

Hypersphere

01 Jun 2014, 01:52

Muirium wrote:
scottc wrote:Beautiful! You're making me really crave an IBM 122-key of my own... :D
I have one that's spare. The later style of Model M without the rotating feet or big top deck from the Model F's case design. I bolt modded it and cleaned it up, but 122 keys just aren't my thing and it is my least used but working board.

Nice work, Quantal. Reminds me that I need some spare buckling spring caps, too. These caught my eye the other day:

Haven't tried their APL set yet, although I am tempted. Some of their keycaps are excellent. For example, I had some red and green 1x return keys made for my XT. They rendered the return arrow quite nicely. On the other hand, I got their OS X set, and the "Command" lettering on the modifier was too bold and slightly askew; I ended up replacing it with a blank!

quantalume

01 Jun 2014, 02:20

I have the Unicomp APL set. They are not bad. Actually, they are better than what's pictured on their web site. In person, the APL legends are a little lighter, but at least the F8 legend is not off-center as it appears in the photo. Just don't mix IBM and Unicomp keys. The hue of both pearl and pebble is off a bit. For that reason, make sure you order a spacebar with it.

I have plans to embed an APL engine inside an M-101 at some point. The idea would be that you plug a monitor directly into the keyboard and start hacking away in APL.

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2014, 02:50

Thanks for the info.

I've not as much as touched a Unicomp board, so let me just check: the difference between the 101 and 104 key sets is that the 101 is classic winkeyless with 1.5u mods, while the 104 has more mods but they are 1.25 units instead? Are these guys single piece caps? Is the whole ANSI US layout included, mods too? And presumably I'm after a "large" space bar for my classic Model Ms?

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/SB

Looks like RGB mods are for the original 101 key layout as well. Although I'm still not quite convinced by those!

quantalume

01 Jun 2014, 03:30

Yes, the 101 set has the classic 1.5u modifiers. I'm not sure about the 104 APL set. Unicomp changed the design of their 104-key layout last year by restoring the classic locations and sizes of the Ctrl and Alt modifiers and then adding back the extra 3 keys: one 1u win key between each pair of Ctrl and Alt keys, and a 1.25u win key in place of the righmost part of the space bar. They also have a 103-key version, my favorite layout of theirs, where they restore the full space bar but leave the other keys. Since the other keys between the modifiers are 1u, you can replace the ugly win keys with whatever you like. Anyway, I have no idea if their APL set fits the old or new 104-key layout.

Oh, and yes, you want the large space bar.

7bit

01 Jun 2014, 10:23

Why didn't you paint it in industrial grey?
:?

quantalume

01 Jun 2014, 18:45

7bit wrote:Why didn't you paint it in industrial grey?
:?
I considered it. In fact, I actually have the paint. I just decided that this other color looked a little nicer to my eye. It's hard to explain, but the Fossil color seems to have its own personality that changes based on how you look at it and whether the light is fluorescent, incandescent or natural sunlight. I may still use the industrial gray paint on another board.

Hypersphere

01 Jun 2014, 19:01

What brand and color of paint would closely match the IBM industrial gray? I do not have an IBM industrial gray keyboard, but I have seen it described as something between gray and olive drab.

scottc

01 Jun 2014, 21:17

I'd be very interested if you would like to share some details on the IBM industrial colour paint! I've got a spare Model M case that I'd love to industrialise...

phosphorglow

02 Jun 2014, 01:51

Well this is just downright gorgeous. Lovely work, sir! ^_^

What type of paint did yo use by the way?
I'm rather tempted to try my hand at painting and the route I was considering is the vinyl dye method. Any suggestions?

(also: excellent idea for the badge removal!)

quantalume

02 Jun 2014, 02:16

I don't consider myself an expert on the original IBM industrial gray color, and I've never seen one in person, so I've had to go by the photos I've seen on the web. That being said, I averaged the CMYK values from various web photos and came up with 0% cyan, 3.5% magenta, 11 % yellow and about 50% black. The closest match color-wise to spray can products available in North America that I could find is Krylon Gloss Stone Gray. However, you want a satin finish, so you would have to put a satin clear on top of that. The next two closest colors are Rustoleum Satin Granite and Satin Fossil. Satin Granite has a little less yellow than IBM industrial gray and Satin Fossil a little more. Fossil has a lighter tone, too, but I think it's closer to the pebble in that regard. The best thing to do would be to take an actual industrial case to a custom paint shop. Expect to pay a lot though, and then you have the hassle of cleaning up your spray equipment (which is why I stick with cans mostly these days).

quantalume

02 Jun 2014, 04:45

@phosphorglow, thanks for the compliment. That means a lot coming from you. Regarding dyeing, I've never had much luck getting the color I want that way, but I don't really have a lot of experience with it. The final color will be some mix of the dye and the original plastic color. The best thing to do would be to take an old case which is just about worthless and cut it up into chunks and experiment. The other problem is that you need to have a tank big enough to hold the case. I suppose you could use a stainless food-service pan.

Hypersphere

02 Jun 2014, 05:09

Regarding industrial gray, another quality paint job that caught my eye was one done on a Kishsaver. He said he used something called RAL 7030 Stonegrey, but he had the painting done by an automotive paint shop:
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/kishs ... t7483.html
He was trying for something close to the elusive IBM industrial gray, but I think perhaps it needs more of a textured surface and a metallic tone.

quantalume

02 Jun 2014, 05:28

That looks really nice. I don't know why anyone would need to match the IBM industrial gray exactly, unless they were trying to pass it off on an unsuspecting buyer.

Hypersphere

02 Jun 2014, 14:31

quantalume wrote:That looks really nice. I don't know why anyone would need to match the IBM industrial gray exactly, unless they were trying to pass it off on an unsuspecting buyer.
To speculate, the motive for matching IBM industrial gray might be the challenge of reproducing it. In addition, despite the dullness usually associated with the monikers "industrial" and "gray", there is something pleasing about the color. Nevertheless, given that it can be quite difficult to match a color exactly, it might be well to take the opposite approach and choose something entirely different. In any event, I very much like what you have done with your IBM case.

Muirium
µ

02 Jun 2014, 15:12

Forgery is a rational explanation. But our interest in doing things right goes well beyond that. Accuracy becomes an art.

Mind, I like Phosphor's wild colours too. Those are just as creative! Either end of the accuracy spectrum is more interesting and noble than the wide sea of "meh" in the middle.

Hypersphere

02 Jun 2014, 16:37

Muirium wrote:Forgery is a rational explanation. But our interest in doing things right goes well beyond that. Accuracy becomes an art.

Mind, I like Phosphor's wild colours too. Those are just as creative! Either end of the accuracy spectrum is more interesting and noble than the wide sea of "meh" in the middle.
Well said.

To combat the meh in the middle, I would be interested in an anodized aluminum look in bold colors for IBM cases.

xwhatsit

06 Jun 2014, 05:11

Beautiful! Love the constrast with the feet.

My F-122 is in similarly crappy condition to how yours sounded. Big gouges in the case here and there. I started sanding it back but never got around to painting it, apart from the thin little cable cover thing that goes at the underside back.

I used so-called `vinyl dye' as I was worried about the case wearing, and vinyl dye is supposed to penetrate the plastic somewhat and be more robust. Will be interesting to see how your satin paint stands up?

scottc

07 Jun 2014, 13:26

Muirium wrote:

I may take you up on that at some point! Though I think I might already have too many buckling spring boards. Two Ms (one broken, one converter terminal board), one SSK, an M2, and my F AT... so if I get a 122-key board, it might be an F. Or even better, one of the "space saver" terminal boards without a numpad.

...Unless I find a kishsaver. There will always be room in my collection for one of those.

I was considering the APL keyset too, but I'll have to wait until I've got some extra cash. Their shipping is ridiculous, too. GB, anyone?

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2014, 14:34

You're thinking of the Space Unsaver (ten keyless 122s) which have one of the best nicknames of all IBMs. Dorkvader says they show up quite frequently in the US, but I haven't seen one over here. Although I am a very lazy searcher…

scottc

07 Jun 2014, 14:36

Yep! I quite like their look.

I found one the other night, but it was the rubber dome variant. Thanks to HyperSphere for letting me know. So be careful!

mbodrov

08 Jun 2014, 02:25

I think the Satin Fossil color is an exceptionally tasteful choice. Can you perhaps post a link to the exact paint that you used?

quantalume

08 Jun 2014, 19:54

mbodrov wrote:I think the Satin Fossil color is an exceptionally tasteful choice. Can you perhaps post a link to the exact paint that you used?
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo ... r-2x/satin

If you click on the color square on the end of the second-to-last row, it will bring up the product number, 249080. It's available in North America and the UK, but I'm not sure about elsewhere. This particular formulation sprays very uniformly out of the can. That's more than I can say about a lot of Rustoleum's products. I've been trying for a couple of weeks now to get a decent final coat out of a particular metallic product of theirs. :evil:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

11 Jun 2014, 17:59

Gorgeous paint job.

Return to “Gallery”