Contact Systems CS-400C

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

28 Apr 2016, 06:01

I recently acquired a Contact Systems CS-400C (as well as a CS-400D which will be my next post) on ebay. Both were from separate sellers, but being able to get the pair was an intriguing idea so I went for it :)

The Contact Systems CS-400C was the keyboard to a component locator machine with automatic cut an clinch, produced from 1988 through 1992.
My keyboard was dated 11-28-88.
Spoiler:

The keyboard has Futaba complicated linears and a single Futaba linear locking switch for the Shift Lock.

Another shot from above:

The keyboard uses an Intel 8031A-P controller, and has a EPROM, which can be erased with UV light. The ROM chip appears to have been last updated 11-30-88, 2 days after the keyboard was manufactured.

The caps are very similar in height to row 3 SA caps, though slightly shorter, and a bit more square on top. They have a nice iron cross mount on the underside and are very thick doubleshot ABS.

Comparison to SA Caps:
Spoiler:
Finally for those interested, a typing test video so you can hear how it sounds. :)
Thanks to Engicoder for helping me do some of the digging and giving me the scoop of parts of this board ;)
Last edited by livingspeedbump on 28 Apr 2016, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.

Engicoder

28 Apr 2016, 06:05

Nice find and great photos. The squeak is delightful!. I love the old school Kensington lock on the left ;P

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

28 Apr 2016, 06:07

The lid squeak may be the best part about this keyboard haha.

emdude
Model M Apologist

28 Apr 2016, 06:14

I'll say! Neat keyboard!

Chyros

28 Apr 2016, 11:05

Hahaha I knew my Futabas weren't the only squeaky ones! xD Nice find, I like the metal dust cover :D .

Ratfink

28 Apr 2016, 12:34

What exactly is "automatic cunt an clinch"? :lol:

Engicoder

28 Apr 2016, 14:12

Ratfink wrote: What exactly is "automatic cunt an clinch"? :lol:

Freudian slip?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Apr 2016, 14:37

Engicoder wrote:

Freudian slip?
- Written in awful grammar, and worse sentence structure!
:mrgreen:

Very nice find BTW livingspeedbump, thanks for sharing!

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

28 Apr 2016, 18:19

Engicoder wrote:

Freudian slip?
Oh you guys haven't heard of that? Sorry, didn't mean to start talking about my past dating life in the middle of a keyboard review :?

:lol:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

28 Apr 2016, 18:30

A keyboard made by George Risk Industries. Very nice.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

28 Apr 2016, 19:48

snuci wrote: A keyboard made by George Risk Industries. Very nice.
Yup, and for a fraction of the cost of the other one on Ebay right now.

Touch_It

29 Apr 2016, 17:11

You ended that video like a boss! How smooth are the switches? Also I'm assuming these are not cherry compatible.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

03 May 2016, 18:54

Touch_It wrote: You ended that video like a boss! How smooth are the switches? Also I'm assuming these are not cherry compatible.
Haha thanks!

Sadly not. They are honestly not that smooth, though compared to the Cherry M5s in my CS-400D they are smooth as butter :lol: They are relatively comparable to SKCC linear Alps.

Return to “Gallery”