Great/Interesting Finds

thefarside

26 Jul 2021, 02:59

Another pricey Northgate NIB. I’m not a fan of the ergo layout, but it’s interesting:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omnike ... 4382324493

raoulduke-esq

26 Jul 2021, 21:48

Oh my- another “NASA” board. Same seller as before?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mo ... 5067230394

orihalcon

27 Jul 2021, 02:40

raoulduke-esq wrote:

I can't say I've really heard of painting the stabilizers along with the top plate (suggests they weren't removed for cleaning/painting). Also feel like 2 hours of ultrasonic cleaning is overkill as I don't notice any difference after 3 minutes myself. Otherwise looks like an ok restoration, but I feel would be worth more unrestored, or at least without the case color modifications. White case with beige caps just seems to clash a bit to me.

hellothere

27 Jul 2021, 03:42

Polecat wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:36
hellothere wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 01:28

Reminder to self: sell all my OmniKeys after I put blue Alps in them (I'm typing on one right now). $898. Hey, Polecat, wanna make some cash?
Well, none of mine are NOS, or NIB. Or NIBIB.
It was actually, "It appears to have been used very minimally before being repacked and stored." So, "Used, in a Northgate box."

I think I said I had four or five unsold OmniKeys. I'm most definitely listing the one I'm currently typing on at the end of the week.

thefarside

27 Jul 2021, 04:15

I noticed the Northgate auctions ended, but I’m curious if the sellers got their price. I’m not an eBay expert and can never determine what the selling price was for auctions like that.

Weezer

27 Jul 2021, 04:40

orihalcon wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 02:40
raoulduke-esq wrote:

I can't say I've really heard of painting the stabilizers along with the top plate (suggests they weren't removed for cleaning/painting). Also feel like 2 hours of ultrasonic cleaning is overkill as I don't notice any difference after 3 minutes myself. Otherwise looks like an ok restoration, but I feel would be worth more unrestored, or at least without the case color modifications. White case with beige caps just seems to clash a bit to me.
Did you miss the one that sold for over $1000 a few months back from the same seller? A cool grand can be yours for thw price of a paint can.

hackser

27 Jul 2021, 10:01

https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk/p ... 0-7404544/

Looks like an IBM model M, but the wear on this one seems bad

Jan Pospisil

27 Jul 2021, 12:52

I'd say some kind of M clone, since it's so yellowed.

Sheepless

27 Jul 2021, 13:27

raoulduke-esq wrote:

Yes, it's the same seller. And since the last one sold for $1169, it's not surprising they do this. Such a shame, though.

JP!

27 Jul 2021, 14:40

Sheepless wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 13:27
Yes, it's the same seller. And since the last one sold for $1169, it's not surprising they do this. Such a shame, though.
That blue just doesn't do it for me and for that kind of the money the paint either needs to be original/vintage or at least professionally done rather than a cheap rattle can job which will now take more time to have redone properly.

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Jul 2021, 14:56

I am a bit curious about the stickers. They could be real.

raoulduke-esq

27 Jul 2021, 15:46

fohat wrote:
Hard to say with this seller.

“Original, vintage NASA decals removed, then replaced after repainting.”

“Original” can mean “came on it like that” or can mean “I created them for this keyboard.” “Repainting” implies “painting again” though I strongly suspect it’s actually “painting” as in “for the first time” because a government agency would not have paid extra to have a plate painted red and a case painted blue/white were that even something IBM was willing to do for them. Note Orihalcon’s point about the painting of the wire stabs. Odd.

thefarside

27 Jul 2021, 16:24

raoulduke-esq wrote:
fohat wrote:

“Original” can mean “came on it like that” or can mean “I created them for this keyboard.” “Repainting” implies “painting again” though I strongly suspect it’s actually “painting” as in “for the first time” because a government agency would not have paid extra to have a plate painted red and a case painted blue/white were that even something IBM was willing to do for them. Note Orihalcon’s point about the painting of the wire stabs. Odd.
The aged Loral Space Information Systems sticker on the back of the keyboard makes me think it’s genuine, but it does seem strange they’d paint the keyboard - especially the the barrel plate. Although I have seen similar things like that in labs I’ve worked in. It also seems strange the seller knows so much about the internals like the foam, given they seems to be a surplus reseller.

Sheepless

27 Jul 2021, 17:31

thefarside wrote:
raoulduke-esq wrote:
fohat wrote:

The aged Loral Space Information Systems sticker on the back of the keyboard makes me think it’s genuine, but it does seem strange they’d paint the keyboard - especially the the barrel plate. Although I have seen similar things like that in labs I’ve worked in. It also seems strange the seller knows so much about the internals like the foam, given they seems to be a surplus reseller.
Painting the barrel plate is not totally unreasonable. My F122 has some corrosion on the barrel plate, so at some point (when I've summoned the courage) I intend to sand it down and repaint it. But I won't paint it red, and I won't paint the case blue and white, because I'm not a psychopath.

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Jul 2021, 22:56

Sheepless wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:31

I won't paint it red
Actually a red plate can look pretty sharp. Also "hammered copper" can be impressive.

Weezer

28 Jul 2021, 03:34

I'm not so sure. I've seen multiple restorations with red barrel plates and they always look bad to me. A muted gray or an electroplated look might be nice.

xxhellfirexx

28 Jul 2021, 05:28

Weezer wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 03:34
I'm not so sure. I've seen multiple restorations with red barrel plates and they always look bad to me. A muted gray or an electroplated look might be nice.
Really? I think these two look quite nice.

viewtopic.php?t=19349

viewtopic.php?t=17712

Weezer

28 Jul 2021, 05:34

Yeah actually those both do look pretty good. I think because the first has red legends and the second has a giant red badge. The red on the barrel plate ties in nicely with the colors.

ro0llo

28 Jul 2021, 13:39

thefarside

28 Jul 2021, 19:00

NIB UNI Keyboard with Tai-Hao Aruz switches. The price and shipping is way to high for me:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144129067369

shine

28 Jul 2021, 19:50

Industrial model M from the same guy selling the 3277 posted by ro0llo

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers- ... usPage=VIP

raoulduke-esq

29 Jul 2021, 00:05

thefarside wrote:
raoulduke-esq wrote:
fohat wrote:

I'm just as amused with this one, who is trying to command a similar price by claiming all of his 122-key F and M were props in Halt and Catch Fire. At least the NASA guy is putting in some effort.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133821648723

Weezer

29 Jul 2021, 01:05

electric coyote also charges $300 for M122s. They just don't know what things are worth.

hellothere

29 Jul 2021, 01:35

thefarside wrote:
NIB UNI Keyboard with Tai-Hao Aruz switches. The price and shipping is way to high for me:
I'm pretty sure that this is the one that's been on ebay for about a month. I've not tried Tai-Hao switches, but I think the market is telling the ebayer, "Your price is too high."

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Jul 2021, 01:45

Weezer wrote:

electric coyote also charges $300 for M122s. They just don't know what things are worth.
Electric Coyote has been deeply involved in the business for quite awhile. There are patient sellers as well as patient buyers.

That F-122 is dated 4th of July - I am surprised that the factory was open that day.

Weezer

29 Jul 2021, 02:06

fohat wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 01:45
Weezer wrote:

Electric Coyote has been deeply involved in the business for quite awhile. There are patient sellers as well as patient buyers.

That F-122 is dated 4th of July - I am surprised that the factory was open that day.
There's patient, and then there's a $300 M122, the same price they were asking for their F122s. They didn't know the difference.

thefarside

29 Jul 2021, 03:38

hellothere wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 01:35
thefarside wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this is the one that's been on ebay for about a month. I've not tried Tai-Hao switches, but I think the market is telling the ebayer, "Your price is too high."
I agree. If the seller dropped a 4 from the price I might consider it. I’ve never sold a keyboard on eBay and I’m curious how sellers come up with prices - especially for the rare and obscure models.

hellothere

03 Aug 2021, 02:15

raoulduke-esq wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 00:05
thefarside wrote:
raoulduke-esq wrote:

I'm just as amused with this one, who is trying to command a similar price by claiming all of his 122-key F and M were props in Halt and Catch Fire. At least the NASA guy is putting in some effort.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133821648723
Making all this more interesting, the "NASA" KB sold today and I'm now acquainted with the buyer, as he bought one of my keyboards, too. Any questions you'd like me to ask?

There was also a much more probable NASA keyboard that was sold. It's this one. At this very moment, y'all missed out by about 1/2 hour: I saw the ad go up and immediately sell. Well, it's not as ugly ummm ... interesting looking ... as the Models F, but it's not beige.

raoulduke-esq

03 Aug 2021, 02:32

hellothere wrote:
Any questions you'd like me to ask?
I'm wondering why they were willing to pay double for a bastardized F122. Is JSC special to them? Are they obsessed with the space program? Did they believe that's what keyboards at NASA actually looked like?

thefarside

03 Aug 2021, 03:51

hellothere wrote:
Any questions you'd like me to ask?
I’m also curious if there are going to use it or just collecting it.

Return to “Other external”