Great/Interesting Finds

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 Feb 2017, 22:14

seebart wrote:
62580792.jpg
Indeed.
Tuntematon wrote: I got a late, single word response from the seller this morning about the $75 Tandem 6526 that sold yesterday: Brown.

Maybe we can assume they are all SKCL Brown. In any case, if you see another nasty old Tandem pop up, remember that SKCL Brown is just like every other linear Alps switch, only slightly different. It will change your life. Buy no matter what the cost!
Even if you're being facetious, there do seem to be people who drop big bucks on switches that are only marginally better, if at all. :roll: :lol:

Tuntematon

22 Feb 2017, 22:22

This hobby isn't even that bad compared to some others. Step into the world of the audiophile, it's pure madness.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Feb 2017, 22:29

Tuntematon wrote: This hobby isn't even that bad compared to some others. Step into the world of the audiophile, it's pure madness.
I believe that, audiophile must also be A LOT more expensive ?!? I can tell you guys after about 3-4 years in this keyboard madness one can come to a point where you've tried 90% of all the relevant switches and keyboards (minus the unobtanium) and then it's all projects or just post mindless memes all day like me. :lol:
223798.jpg
223798.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 Feb 2017, 22:32

Tuntematon wrote: This hobby isn't even that bad compared to some others. Step into the world of the audiophile, it's pure madness.
I can see this too, I can imagine sound being a very subjective (and 'hype-able') thing. Meanwhile, I am happy with my cheap Monoprice earbuds.. :lol:

Hypersphere

22 Feb 2017, 22:41

seebart

22 Feb 2017, 22:46

I've seen that Tandem 6530 somewhere here before. Of those three that would be my choice but do we even know what switches it uses?
Crafted with pride by Bill Robertson.
:o

Hypersphere

22 Feb 2017, 22:49

seebart wrote: I've seen that Tandem 6530 somewhere here before. Of those three that would be my choice but do we even know what switches it uses?
No idea about the switches. It is certainly a handsome board.

Harshmallow

22 Feb 2017, 23:01

Hypersphere wrote:
seebart wrote: I've seen that Tandem 6530 somewhere here before. Of those three that would be my choice but do we even know what switches it uses?
No idea about the switches. It is certainly a handsome board.
I mentioned that one yesterday when I first posted my 6526 find in the club forum. I was wondering if they might be a vintage linear SMK switch or something similar. Those spherical caps typically mean linear switch to me. It is a handsome board indeed.

Yeah I had no idea the Tandem 6526 was that high in demand before I bought mine. I just remembered seeing it and since it was at $45 I figured I'd jump on it, because it doesn't seem to come up often. I would be happy to get SKCL Browns - for some reason I thought they were just as common as SKCM Brown when I bought it...I guess that's not the case! I'm currently really enjoying these Monterey blues in my KB-5181 and am really impressed with the two HMB/Oki's I received yesterday - such a simple, 1 part design, yet fun to type on!

Jimi14

22 Feb 2017, 23:09

3 84 key AT style boards, cant properly identify the switch. (linear Mitsumis?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-working ... Swx6pYqe8K
Last edited by Jimi14 on 22 Feb 2017, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Harshmallow

22 Feb 2017, 23:10

Vintage calculator collectors (especially those old nixie tube ones), photographers/camera and lens collectors...there are many hobbies more expensive than ours!

seebart

22 Feb 2017, 23:11

Harshmallow wrote: ...really impressed with the two HMB/Oki's I received yesterday - such a simple, 1 part design, yet fun to type on!
Oh Oki Gourd Spring? I quite like that switch, it improves my typing technique, my usual brute hacking is no good when I'm typing on Oki Gourd Springs. Highly underrated switch IMO.

Believe it or not I have not been able to find SKCM Brown Alps in three years! WTF ?!? :roll: :x

Hypersphere

22 Feb 2017, 23:16

The seller sent me a pic of a switch in the Tandem 6530. Looks like linear switches I've seen in other terminal emulator keyboards with a white plunger and external return spring. Definitely not SKCL brown, amber, or striped amber.

ohaimark
Kingpin

22 Feb 2017, 23:35

This one looks like space invaders...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandem-Computer ... 2248426087

E3E

22 Feb 2017, 23:41

I stepped into that ring again and then immediately realized why I generally stay out of it. Aside from cost, that plus the added aspect of heavily diminished returns at the high end part of the spectrum is just ridiculous.

Spending hundreds if not thousands on cables just to squeeze out a level of improvement that is below what you'd see from upgrading from a $40 pair of headphones to a $300 pair.

Ugh.

Hypersphere

22 Feb 2017, 23:48

E3E wrote:
I stepped into that ring again and then immediately realized why I generally stay out of it. Aside from cost, that plus the added aspect of heavily diminished returns at the high end part of the spectrum is just ridiculous.

Spending hundreds if not thousands on cables just to squeeze out a level of improvement that is below what you'd see from upgrading from a $40 pair of headphones to a $300 pair.

Ugh.
You can tell you're an audiophile if you go to a live concert and complain that the sound lacks presence.

Harshmallow

22 Feb 2017, 23:49

seebart wrote:
Harshmallow wrote: ...really impressed with the two HMB/Oki's I received yesterday - such a simple, 1 part design, yet fun to type on!
Oh Oki Gourd Spring? I quite like that switch, it improves my typing technique, my usual brute hacking is no good when I'm typing on Oki Gourd Springs. Highly underrated switch IMO.

Believe it or not I have not been able to find SKCM Brown Alps in three years! WTF ?!? :roll: :x
Yep, Oki Gourd Springs. I thought they would be a little louder for some reason, but I really like the light tactility and softer noise - plus the keys just feel...bouncy? If I were to make an analogy, I would equate it to bouncing around on a pogo stick - so simple, but just so fun.

I quite like the shape of the keycaps too, they're very similar to those low profile magnetic valve switch keycaps. Plus they're dye sub PBT, so bonus points there :) I'm sure you'll find some SKCM Brown soon enough, you've tried pretty much every other switch at this point anyway!

E3E

22 Feb 2017, 23:53

Harshmallow wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: Yeah I had no idea the Tandem 6526 was that high in demand before I bought mine. I just remembered seeing it and since it was at $45 I figured I'd jump on it, because it doesn't seem to come up often. I would be happy to get SKCL Browns - for some reason I thought they were just as common as SKCM Brown when I bought it...
Yep, they're among the hardest to find Alps SKCM/SKCL switches, and they're also one of my top favorites if not my overall favorite.

I've been using this one for weeks and weeks without rotation now. :P

The ones in this board were indeed sourced from a Tandem as well. I even used the brown SKCL lock switch on the Caps Lock position even though it doesn't work properly on this PCB. I heard a circuit can be wired up to make it work properly but I never looked into how difficult or easy it is to rig one up.

Hypersphere

23 Feb 2017, 00:10

seebart wrote: <snip>...
There have been quite a few IBM 5140 computers on eBay during the past six months or so. As you probably know, these come with SKCM brown Alps and very nice dye-sub PBT caps.

Some of them have been at reasonable prices for the entire machine. On more than one occasion, I have been able to persuade the seller to sell just the keyboard at a reasonable price, which then dramatically cuts down the shipping cost as well. However, these have all been within the continental US; I haven't followed sales within the EU or Germany.

@E3E: That modded NCR keyboard is very handsome indeed.

Nuum

23 Feb 2017, 00:14

Finding IBM 5140's in Germany is hard, especially in German ISO layout. I was searching over a year for mine and it was the only one that appeared on ebay.de over the whole period. I paid around 40€ just for the keyboard.

cumwagondeluxe

23 Feb 2017, 00:27

Will do my best to do a typing video of the 250 - can also compare them to SKCM Orange in a super mint M0116 i've got on the way as well if anyone's interested. I'll probably do a writeup on the review section, since I can compare two really good condition SKCM <orange/brown> with two average condition versions of each in the same keyboard.

Super jelly of the 6526 purchase - Not sure how SKCL Browns compare to SKCL Greens but given how nice the greens are I'd imagine they'd probably be at the very least in my top 5 favourite switches had I bought 'em. Still, glad somebody here got it so we know it'll be in good hands and we can get more info on the boards, but I think I've learned my lesson about waiting to buy stuff until I get home from work after this :^) Also, I think I'm gonna get a membership soon to support the site - you guys are great, easily the nicest online community I'm a part of and I'd love to give back what I can.

Slom

23 Feb 2017, 00:46

No idea about the keyboard ... but the name of the seller made me smile :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-KB-301-Dum ... 1493870348
(edit: slider over dome AT&T KBD 301 ... http://imgur.com/a/58n9M, still great name :D)

is this interesting?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mechani ... 2765061296
Last edited by Slom on 23 Feb 2017, 08:45, edited 2 times in total.

E3E

23 Feb 2017, 00:56

cumwagondeluxe wrote: Super jelly of the 6526 purchase - Not sure how SKCL Browns compare to SKCL Greens but given how nice the greens are I'd imagine they'd probably be at the very least in my top 5 favourite switches had I bought 'em. Still, glad somebody here got it so we know it'll be in good hands and we can get more info on the boards, but I think I've learned my lesson about waiting to buy stuff until I get home from work after this :^) Also, I think I'm gonna get a membership soon to support the site - you guys are great, easily the nicest online community I'm a part of and I'd love to give back what I can.
Yeah, that second of hesitation can be killer. Most of my great finds have been through a thought process of *notices great deal/rare board* HOLY SHIT *scrambles to click buy it now and check out ASAP*. That moment of hesitation is often all that ends up letting that deal slip away.

As far as SKCL Browns go? They're every bit as smooth as SKCL Greens, just heavier. I've weighed them in at being almost exactly the same weight as SKCL Creams. They are pretty much their equivalent, so if you have an SKCL Cream, you can get a good idea of what SKCL Brown feels like.

The Bondwell Pro 8T that has around 70 or so SKCL Creams is rather difficult to find though. There's also a Sharp board that I think has them? XMIT posted it in the Alps Appreciation thread, I believe.

I still have yet to type much on SKCL Striped Ambers, but they're like SKCL Greens with a touch more cushion. Waiting to finish my build with them, but the parts haven't come in yet.

alh84001
v.001

23 Feb 2017, 01:02

E3E wrote:
cumwagondeluxe wrote: As far as SKCL Browns go? They're every bit as smooth as SKCL Greens, just heavier. I've weighed them in at being almost exactly the same weight as SKCL Creams. They are pretty much their equivalent, so if you have an SKCL Cream, you can get a good idea of what SKCL Brown feels like.
If I remember correctly, the main difference between skcl brown and striped amber on one side and other switches is a characteristic cushion they have. Or have I misinterpreted some of your previous posts?

(BTW, check your PMs :))

Mattr567

23 Feb 2017, 01:05

cumwagondeluxe wrote: Will do my best to do a typing video of the 250 - can also compare them to SKCM Orange in a super mint M0116 i've got on the way as well if anyone's interested. I'll probably do a writeup on the review section, since I can compare two really good condition SKCM <orange/brown> with two average condition versions of each in the same keyboard.

Super jelly of the 6526 purchase - Not sure how SKCL Browns compare to SKCL Greens but given how nice the greens are I'd imagine they'd probably be at the very least in my top 5 favourite switches had I bought 'em. Still, glad somebody here got it so we know it'll be in good hands and we can get more info on the boards, but I think I've learned my lesson about waiting to buy stuff until I get home from work after this :^) Also, I think I'm gonna get a membership soon to support the site - you guys are great, easily the nicest online community I'm a part of and I'd love to give back what I can.
SKCL Brown is basically a heavier version of SKCL Green or Yellow. Comparable to SKCL Cream or Grey but they are not the same weight. The real difference is has the "cushion" that heavier Alps have, its not so harsh bottoming out like Green or Yellow is. The claim to fame about SKCL Striped Amber is that while it is 5g lighter than Yellow (55g) it still retains this cushion. It's down to the spring really. It's my favorite linear switch, swapped my Zenith with them from my Tandem ;) Also did a XT badge swap.

Tuntematon

23 Feb 2017, 01:36

I wonder what striped amber would go for at auction. I don't think we've seen that yet.

*hurries off to linearize SKCM Amber, borrows girlfriend's lipstick*

E3E

23 Feb 2017, 01:47

E3E wrote: Approx bottom out weights:

SKCL Brown - 70g

SKCL Cream - 70g

SKCL Green - 50g

SKCL LED Green - 67.5g

SKCL Yellow - 60g

SKCL Striped Amber - 55g

SKC[L] Blue - 55g

SKCL Grey - 80g
SKCL Amber was heavier than the other space bar switches, strange as it is. Almost 90g.

I'd say Creams and Browns are the same weight. I'm not sure if any differences are a placebo or not. It's really hard to quantify the difference between them.

SKCL Striped Ambers would probably not attract the same kind of attention SKCM Green has since Green has spread enough to become well-known. If it was as well-known and we're just taking current known quantities into perspective, and then using the most ridiculous prices as a comparison (like $8 per SKCM Green switch), a Tandem would be around $1000 or more because of how little S. Amber we've seen.

If NONE of these Tandems are Striped Ambers, then that just shows how these are not easy to find and possibly a one off in a small batch.

The way to tell if you've got fakes or not would be to check the slider for notches on both sides at the bottom. Also, it should have a 55g weighting.

I'd hate to see Tandem prices get inflated too. So yo, you eBay sellers with Tandems. Don't list them for $1000 just because of this post. They're worth $10. List them for $10.

I have expert advice.

Hypersphere

23 Feb 2017, 02:20

@E3E: Thanks for posting the [approximate] data on bottoming out weights of the various SKCL switches. I suppose the relative weights of the linear switches would mainly be due to the return springs. However, with SKCM switches, the tactile/click leaf adds to the resistance, with the tactile assembly in SKCM brown Alps making these switches feel particularly heavy. It would be interesting to know the actual bottoming out weights of "clickified" or "tactilified" linear switches resulting from modding them with the appropriate top housings and click/tactile leaves.

orihalcon

23 Feb 2017, 02:47

Where are we getting this $8 each pricing for SKCM Greens? Never seen them go for those prices.

Tuntematon

23 Feb 2017, 02:52

Some guy on reddit paid that much for NOS SKCM Greens from a parts supplier. I don't know what possessed him, but it's unlikely anyone would pay that much again.

cumwagondeluxe

23 Feb 2017, 02:58

Tuntematon wrote: Some guy on reddit paid that much for NOS SKCM Greens from a parts supplier. I don't know what possessed him, but it's unlikely anyone would pay that much again.
Those parts suppliers don't even care which one you get - they'll quote you just as much for super common switches as well. Ask them for a quote on SKCM whites if you want a good laugh, IIRC one of them wanted $10/pc that I talked to..

Return to “Other external”