Great/Interesting Finds

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Feb 2018, 14:23

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 Feb 2018, 16:34

I would sigh at the price, but I'm honestly not surprised. If anyone wants to invest in my blue Alps, I will be holding them for another 5 years and then selling them for $20/switch.

tron

07 Feb 2018, 23:07

codemonkeymike wrote: Good god how much that brown alps board is selling for, that's about 4 dollars a switch! I need the cash right now maybe I will sell my brown alps I just desoldered from a videowriter. At $4 a switch that's about what blue alps boards sell for, 104 key selling for $400-450.
It just shot over $250 :o It appears two people are in a bidding war and willing to pay for the condition.

ohaimark
Kingpin

08 Feb 2018, 03:52

I think there may be a troll bidder. Zero feedback.

Frazzer

08 Feb 2018, 19:18

Dingster

08 Feb 2018, 19:47

Those are some pretty caps :shock:
Last edited by Dingster on 08 Feb 2018, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Feb 2018, 20:15

I've always liked ACK keys.

Gnohio

08 Feb 2018, 22:18

oh man its back up. I wonder what the original chasis for this looked like. I missed this one a few months ago and ended up getting another maxi switch board that was for the kaypro 1 or 4. Speaking of...does anyone have a chasis for it? Looks like the pic except for mine is missing the + key because the switch stem snapped. More pics. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91047.0
kaypro1.jpeg
kaypro1.jpeg (158.93 KiB) Viewed 10395 times

OldIsNew

08 Feb 2018, 23:20

Gnohio wrote:
oh man its back up. I wonder what the original chasis for this looked like.
Here's one:
foxboro.jpg
foxboro.jpg (197.28 KiB) Viewed 10366 times

Gnohio

08 Feb 2018, 23:28

OldIsNew wrote:
Gnohio wrote:
oh man its back up. I wonder what the original chasis for this looked like.
Here's one:
foxboro.jpg
Wow that looks really nice. Do you happen to know what it was used for? The layout gives POS vibes but I bet it was for some specific terminal or something.

Also, do you know what switches it has?

OldIsNew

08 Feb 2018, 23:57

Gnohio wrote: Wow that looks really nice. Do you happen to know what it was used for? The layout gives POS vibes but I bet it was for some specific terminal or something.

Looks to be part of the FOX3 industrial computer system:
fox3.jpg
fox3.jpg (340.45 KiB) Viewed 10481 times
Based on the pics in the eBay listing, the switches appear to be magnetic reed:
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (117.27 KiB) Viewed 10481 times
I haven't actually seen one of these boards in person, however, so I can't say I know for sure.

Gnohio

09 Feb 2018, 00:35

OldIsNew wrote:
Gnohio wrote: Wow that looks really nice. Do you happen to know what it was used for? The layout gives POS vibes but I bet it was for some specific terminal or something.

Looks to be part of the FOX3 industrial computer system:
fox3.jpg
Based on the pics in the eBay listing, the switches appear to be magnetic reed:
switch.jpg
I haven't actually seen one of these boards in person, however, so I can't say I know for sure.
Thanks for the info and pics. These old terminal boards always look really cool to me, especially the ones with spherical caps and a big metal chasis. I just wish I had the equipment and time to attempt conversions on them :?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Feb 2018, 14:15

Nice vintage keyboard from 1982 (other parts of the computer in other listings of the same seller):
https://www.ebay.de/itm/132498200083

Well concealed here: a Cherry G80-3000 HEMGB, i.e. with Cherry MX clears and doubleshot keycaps including 1.25u modifiers with centered stems:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273061530710

Just saying...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/122954459717

Engicoder

09 Feb 2018, 20:26

kbdfr wrote: Just saying...
Odd...the keyboard with that 5160 has a white/beige cord/cable. I don't think I have ever seen a PC/XT keyboard with anything but black. Also the font size and possibly keycap color for the German specific keys does not match.

JP!

10 Feb 2018, 01:21

Engicoder wrote:
kbdfr wrote: Just saying...
Odd...the keyboard with that 5160 has a white/beige cord/cable. I don't think I have ever seen a PC/XT keyboard with anything but black. Also the font size and possibly keycap color for the German specific keys does not match.
I agree, the white cable is really unusual for an XT. I think that is normal for the German specific keys. Also the foam in mine is white instead of the usual black stuff.

Here is a picture of my German XT.
Spoiler:
IMG_2732.JPG
IMG_2732.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 10169 times

Frazzer

10 Feb 2018, 09:50

Abstractions

10 Feb 2018, 19:01

Noobmaen

10 Feb 2018, 19:05

Some of these come with pad printed ABS caps and SKBM White switches, but I am unsure whether that's only the case for the PS2 version. Otherwise SKCM White and doubleshot caps

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

10 Feb 2018, 19:22

Noobmaen wrote:
Some of these come with pad printed ABS caps and SKBM White switches, but I am unsure whether that's only the case for the PS2 version. Otherwise SKCM White and doubleshot caps
$700 for five crap shoot keyboards. Nope.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Feb 2018, 19:26

It might be worth 1/5 that price. White Alps aren't that uncommon, and you can usually get a board in good shape for $40-50.

Slom

10 Feb 2018, 21:25

tron wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: Good god how much that brown alps board is selling for, that's about 4 dollars a switch! I need the cash right now maybe I will sell my brown alps I just desoldered from a videowriter. At $4 a switch that's about what blue alps boards sell for, 104 key selling for $400-450.
It just shot over $250 :o It appears two people are in a bidding war and willing to pay for the condition.
Aaaand it is back to 200 for now. Here is the rest of the system (I think ...)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-Video ... 2797770669

consolation

11 Feb 2018, 05:08

Polecat

12 Feb 2018, 01:10

Someone please buy this so I don't have to:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/93-Rafi-keys-o ... 0005.m1851
Attachments
ebayimg.jpg
ebayimg.jpg (387.23 KiB) Viewed 9838 times

Sangdrax

12 Feb 2018, 06:56

Interesting old keytronic it looks like. Shame the shipping is so high and it's missing a couple keys
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Parall ... SwIBxaf0XI

Also, I bought this. But I didn't see it was posted here until now. Not much slips by you guys for sure. Looks like maybe what, Futaba complicated linear or Fujitsu magnetic reed? Either way should be an easy conversion.
Frazzer wrote: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-e ... SwLgNafkJ2

Fancy keycaps, but not sure which stem ...

:shock:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

12 Feb 2018, 11:40

Sangdrax wrote: Shame the shipping is so high
Hahaha they must still think that eBay only charges fees on the sell price and not the shipping price. :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Feb 2018, 12:16

Slom wrote:
tron wrote:
Aaaand it is back to 200 for now.[…]
It is now back to $61,
and it is definitely shill-bidding:
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/33254 ... 7675.l2565

Bidder h***_ has twice set and then retracted a bid with which he was able to check how much the automatic bid of bidder u***u was. I was able to view the bid history before all bids by h***_ were deleted (which eBay does when a bid is retracted). He incrementally raised the price up to the $200 limit of u***u, who reacted by setting a new (and of course higher) automatic bid. h***_ then retracted his bid, the price went down again but u***u's automatic bid is still there - and h***_ knows how much it is.

I can predict someone (probably h***_, but perhaps another account so as not to raise suspicion) will bid somewhere between $200 and probably $250 shortly before the auction ends and manage to lose, letting u***u be the highest bidder for his maximum bid.

So when bidding on eBay, you should never set an automatic bid for the maximum price you are ready to pay, but instead fire that amount just before the auction ends, giving dishonest sellers no chance.

I'm going to report this to eBay, but their system does not allow to post an explanation, just the item number, and the experience shows they most of the time just do nothing, especially when the person reporting is not one of the bidders.

Elrick

12 Feb 2018, 12:35

kbdfr wrote: I'm going to report this to eBay, but their system does not allow to post an explanation, just the item number, and the experience shows they most of the time just do nothing, especially when the person reporting is not one of the bidders.
It's starting to be normal despite their own rules and regulations saying otherwise.

Suspect this is NOT going to be tackled by them at all, simply millions of complaints hitting them across their ebay site - worldwide.

In the end I have a feeling that eventually Ebay will fizzle out as more and more Shysters make their home on this site. Good because it helps further erode their control of Auctioning across this planet, bad because a lot of people will go elsewhere to home country auction sites, that is isolated from the rest of the World.

Helps to further isolate the world from others which of course, will lead to other more depressing scenarios for the future.

purdobol

12 Feb 2018, 12:59

kbdfr wrote: Bidder h***_ has twice set and then retracted a bid with which he was able to check how much the automatic bid of bidder u***u was. I was able to view the bid history before all bids by h***_ were deleted (which eBay does when a bid is retracted). He incrementally raised the price up to the $200 limit of u***u, who reacted by setting a new (and of course higher) automatic bid. h***_ then retracted his bid, the price went down again but u***u's automatic bid is still there - and h***_ knows how much it is.
What kind of auction site allows to retract the bids? Only used Ebay once (not an acution though) but it's beyond fucked up and defeats the whole purpose.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Feb 2018, 13:50

All the more reason to set a snipe at your realistic price and then forget about it completely.

Then, if you are notified of your win a week later, you can be pleasantly surprised.

Chyros

12 Feb 2018, 14:06

fohat wrote: All the more reason to set a snipe at your realistic price and then forget about it completely.

Then, if you are notified of your win a week later, you can be pleasantly surprised.
This is exactly how I operate nowadays. I can highly recommend it.

Return to “Other external”