Great/Interesting Finds

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Mar 2018, 18:00

I'd enjoy /r/mk a lot more if it wasn't just a everyone trying to outdo each other in how "riced up" they can make their keyboard.

xxhellfirexx

01 Mar 2018, 18:20

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Mar 2018, 18:25

The MSI badge is pretty cool but $235 for rusty Mitsumis? :lol:

digital_matthew

01 Mar 2018, 19:06

F XT case top that apparently still has the feet. Could be good for a restoration...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-MO ... SwSS5alxMg

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

01 Mar 2018, 19:15

digital_matthew wrote: F XT case top that apparently still has the feet. Could be good for a restoration...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-MO ... SwSS5alxMg
jeez this came a few months too late, I sold a model f xt inner assembly awhile back because I couldnt find a case to put it in. The original was severely damaged.

green-squid

01 Mar 2018, 19:48

http://www.vatera.hu/zenith-regi-billen ... 34600.html

ZKB-2R in Hungary. I was bidding on it, but I will do another project instead. Still up.

FXT
XT

01 Mar 2018, 20:17

UnFocused wrote:
green-squid wrote: I have started to like the keyboard subreddit less and less because of thia. And also because of the repetitive nature of the posts (custom 60%, hhkb, gmk set, few IBMs here and there, and shitposting).
I'd enjoy /r/mk a lot more if the artisan keycaps posts were somewhere... anywhere, else.
They have a lot of variety without actually having variety if that makes sense. Every keyboard there is a needlessly small form factor littered with artisans. Their preferences are just so backwards IMO. I can't stand the whole flipped spacebar (it's only more comfortable if you have poor posture to begin with), artisans, while I can appreciate the effort behind them, make any keyboard look awful, and don't get me started on their love for ortholinear. Ugh.

j0d1

01 Mar 2018, 20:31

I went full /r/mk in the beginning: I bought artisans, keycap sets, Zealios, etc. I even built a keyboard from scratch (sorry FXT, an ortholinear one)... with RGB LEDs. Then I bought a Model M and started spending more time here.

Now I sold the artisans, I'm currently selling my keycaps and I'm focusing on my modest IBM collection.

I don't dislike /r/mk like I don't dislike Geekhack, it's just a different focus on the hobby and I found out that I LOVE the vintage side of it. To each their own, I guess.

FXT
XT

01 Mar 2018, 20:34

Maybe I am being a bit harsh. To be fair, I never got into modern keyboards. I've tried them, but never got interested in them because my first mechanical keyboard was a full size M. You are right, there are different focuses in this hobby and I, along with most of the people on here, much prefer the vintage side of the hobby.

FXT
XT

01 Mar 2018, 20:38

Was about to jump on this, but that shipping cost is insane.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mo ... SwGvZamCgW

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Mar 2018, 20:38

FXT wrote: They have a lot of variety without actually having variety if that makes sense. Every keyboard there is a needlessly small form factor littered with artisans. Their preferences are just so backwards IMO. I can't stand the whole flipped spacebar (it's only more comfortable if you have poor posture to begin with), artisans, while I can appreciate the effort behind them, make any keyboard look awful, and don't get me started on their love for ortholinear. Ugh.
I think some artisans can look tasteful, but typically only as an Esc key. I have a few myself but they are nothing too out of the ordinary. For example, my purple key:

On the other hand, I saw this one the other day, and wonder how anyone can actually type on it:

P.S. I especially hate the word "endgame".

depletedvespene

01 Mar 2018, 20:45

FXT wrote: Was about to jump on this, but that shipping cost is insane.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mo ... SwGvZamCgW
That's the problem with shipping from where the seller is located. FWIW, I did buy a keyboard from him and everything was OK.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Mar 2018, 21:06

Is Taiwan Post really that expensive? Shipping a board from Japan is far cheaper.

idlethock

01 Mar 2018, 21:14

webwit wrote: Yes! This is good! :evilgeek:

Industrial SSK, I want :o :shock:

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Mar 2018, 21:34

I'll sell one of those later. :twisted:
In the Boutique or on eBay.

digital_matthew

01 Mar 2018, 22:46

webwit wrote: I'll sell one of those later. :twisted:
For a moment I thought I was in the wrong thread, and that all of these were for sale in your boutique. :cry:

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

01 Mar 2018, 22:46

webwit wrote:I'll sell one of those later. :twisted:
Webwit, have I ever told you that you are my favorite community member of all time?

On an unrelated note, do you happen to have an industrial SSK for sale? For say, $250? :D

snoopy

01 Mar 2018, 23:36

I hope I can resist...

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Mar 2018, 23:51

Could post on reddit. For parts, 1k.

Khronokrator

01 Mar 2018, 23:59

FXT wrote: Maybe I am being a bit harsh. To be fair, I never got into modern keyboards. I've tried them, but never got interested in them because my first mechanical keyboard was a full size M. You are right, there are different focuses in this hobby and I, along with most of the people on here, much prefer the vintage side of the hobby.
Harsh, perhaps, but it's not an unfair criticism, IMO.

Like others, I got into the 'fandom' through r/mk, but my interests quickly split off into the vintage market after first trying out a few Cherry boards (first Browns, then Blues). Even a moderate-condition old Focus FK-2001 with pine Alps was such a vastly superior typing experience over the aptly-named 'hysterical' Cherry switches that I could never go back, and once that bridge had been crossed I very quickly got tired of r/mk itself.

If you're not into their niche (Zealios, Cherry MX, artisans, 40% boards, HHKBs, Topre, etc.) the sub has basically no appeal and the content that gets posted has very little variety. There's very little content there for vintage keyboard collectors aside from the random odd Model Ms that pop up from time to time.

(Though ironically Chyros' project with the WYSE did convince me to buy a GMMK and pick up some of the new box Kailh switches, my first modern keyboard in almost 4 years.)

E TwentyNine

02 Mar 2018, 00:24

clickityClackity wrote: This two bottom right, definitely. They're smaller so they must be cheaper. Looks like the numpad broke off.
Don't laugh too much, originally the SSK's *were* cheaper because they were seen as lesser functionality than a fullsize. They were targeted for home use (e.g PS/2 Mod 30 which is exactly the same width) and priced appropriately less than the keyboards designated for "business use".

clickityClackity

02 Mar 2018, 00:55

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253461429978?rmvSB=true
3279 Keyboard - Starting bid $500

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

02 Mar 2018, 00:57

clickityClackity wrote: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253461429978?rmvSB=true
3279 Keyboard - Starting bid $500
That appears to be fire damaged... :?

hansichen

02 Mar 2018, 00:57

Looks like chemical damage on the right, I wouldn't go too deep on it

j0d1

02 Mar 2018, 01:58

Annnnd it's sold for 1k! :lol:

digital_matthew

02 Mar 2018, 02:11

j0d1 wrote: Annnnd it's sold for 1k! :lol:
Gentlemen, we are through the looking glass... :?

tron

02 Mar 2018, 02:14

Wow that was fast lol. Maybe the damage is just superficial. The case can be plasti dipped and the caps can be replaced with selectric. I wonder what melted the caps like that? Did someone spill acid on it or something..... :lol:
Last edited by tron on 02 Mar 2018, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.

JP!

02 Mar 2018, 02:20

...wow just wow. Hell I remember some of us giving Mr. Duul crap about paying $800 for a mint 3278. I gave a fraction of this for my 3279... :shock:

Sangdrax

02 Mar 2018, 03:02

Makes me wonder if I should put up my special snowflake 3278 1983 with the plastic case and third function engraved caps for like $3K and see if there are any takers. I mean those prices are just insane. And yet the monitor and controller gear I have would probably still go for less than $50 apiece :lol:

clickityClackity

02 Mar 2018, 03:06

Return to “Other external”