Great/Interesting Finds

digital_matthew

21 Sep 2018, 04:52

I will turn that into a giant smartphone that I can strap to my belt. Hellloooooo ladies!

Sangdrax

21 Sep 2018, 05:54

Saw an NMB OEM AT with second gen brown tactile space invaders I think based on the FCC:ID. Has some neat colored legends but I'm clicky or linear. I don't care for tactiles much. Seller also has a couple F XT's pretty cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEMOREX-PERSON ... 2569423194

Gnohio

21 Sep 2018, 06:10

Sangdrax wrote: Seller also has a couple F XT's pretty cheap.
The only issue is that the majority of the keyboards this seller lists dont have cables or they're noticeably cut for some reason.

Bass

21 Sep 2018, 08:35

Gnohio wrote:
The only issue is that the majority of the keyboards this seller lists dont have cables or they're noticeably cut for some reason.
I bought another keyboard from this seller recently, so here's a word of warning: It arrived damaged since it was packaged really poorly (they used only one layer of bubble wrap and barely padded the box at all so it shook around a lot during shipping). Not a huge issue in the end since the seller accepted my request to return the item for a full refund, but something to keep in mind since they are charging so much just for the shipping.

Elrick

21 Sep 2018, 10:16

Gnohio wrote:
Ease of storage for the seller.

Trying to fold cables up whilst piling on the keyboards into a tower, is going to be difficult hence far better to remove the imbalance of a stupid cable ;) .
Bass wrote: Not a huge issue in the end since the seller accepted my request to return the item for a full refund, but something to keep in mind since they are charging so much just for the shipping.
That is how some seller's make extra profit by charging for high shipping yet spending very little on actually sending the item to you.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Sep 2018, 10:37

I'd argue that sellers make very little profit on shipping costs, at least in my experience as a seller.

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 Sep 2018, 14:25

Blaise170 wrote: I'd argue that sellers make very little profit on shipping costs, at least in my experience as a seller.
I would second that. Besides postage, there are boxes, padding, tape, several minutes minimum of time boxing each item, time and gas driving to the Post Office, even at minimum wage that is worth several dollars.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Sep 2018, 16:55

Don't forget the 10% fee that eBay charges you for shipping.

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 Sep 2018, 23:40

Blaise170 wrote: Don't forget the 10% fee that eBay charges you for shipping.
And the additional 3% that Paypal gets.

Half-Saint

21 Sep 2018, 23:54

Ebay is forcing you to overcharge on shipping just to break even.

As for the earlier comment. I typically spend about half an hour to an hour for packaging. Can be quite a time sink :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Sangdrax

22 Sep 2018, 01:39

Ebay gives you commercial rates on postage so it pretty much evens out what they take in fees and what you save from going to the post office. Though that means in reality you aren't actually saving anything, which sucks and boy do they try to hide it under "You saved X". But then I don't charge on packaging or time stuff either, just postage. I always assume you shouldn't be selling something on ebay if you don't already have packaging for it, so I tally it as part of the auction sale price. I've also kind of found as a mental thing, somebody will be much happier paying $90+$10 shipping vs $80+20 for the exact same thing.

All that said. Looking at the seller I posted, his stuff seems to be about $5 above postage cost. So make of that what you will.

Bass

22 Sep 2018, 02:42

Not all of his listings have a ridiculous shipping cost, but the board that I got from him had a shipping cost of $35. That's close to the minimum cost for me to ship a beamspring (over 10 lb) but the entire package I got was around 5 lb.

Elrick

22 Sep 2018, 02:42

Blaise170 wrote: I'd argue that sellers make very little profit on shipping costs, at least in my experience as a seller.
You did happen to notice that golden word I used here - "SOME" sellers attribute?

I know you guys here on DT are Angels when sending well protected keyboards in bulletproof cardboard boxes. Whilst on Flebay have received some keyboards that were literally stuffed into large plastic bags and sent via post.

Flebay isn't the safest place to buy old keyboards from but would rather buy from this place here in the "Marketplace" section. In that area I know no matter what I purchase you guys treat all customers with respect and courtesy when packaging and sending keyboards off to new owners.

Have actually stopped buying off Flebay now, just not worth the risk and wasted time in receiving broken and damaged keyboards, due to SOME seller's laziness and greed.

Sangdrax

22 Sep 2018, 02:51

Bass wrote: Not all of his listings have a ridiculous shipping cost, but the board that I got from him had a shipping cost of $35. That's close to the minimum cost for me to ship a beamspring (over 10 lb) but the entire package I got was around 5 lb.
Yikes, now THAT'S a gouge. I was looking at the ones I was interested in the other day and they were $17-19 which is about $5 more than postage should be from my experience.

digital_matthew

22 Sep 2018, 14:58

zrrion

22 Sep 2018, 16:46

I'm the current top bid on that and I was hoping that wouldn't get posted here. Now someone with a bigger wallet than me is likely to nab it instead. :lol:

depletedvespene

22 Sep 2018, 23:03

JP! wrote: The ancient Romans just copied the ancient Greeks who had analog mechanical computers like the Antikythera mechanism.
One of these days I'm gonna make a custom build with for the Iberian script, just for the lulz.

If Unicode ever bothers to include it in the standard, of course...

digital_matthew

23 Sep 2018, 04:32

zrrion wrote: I'm the current top bid on that and I was hoping that wouldn't get posted here. Now someone with a bigger wallet than me is likely to nab it instead. :lol:
Sorry, dude :cry: There should be a "called it" rule on DT. I'd honor it anyway...

Leshe

23 Sep 2018, 22:20

Found this IBM 5155 for 170 Euro, it doesn't work properly though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5155/30289 ... SwFSRbmByy

Bass

24 Sep 2018, 19:42

digital_matthew wrote: SSK with Displaywriter caps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mo ... %7Ciid%3A1
Final price: $142.45 shipped :o I know it was advertised as not being in the best shape but still, pretty cheap for an SSK with displaywriter caps no less.

digital_matthew

24 Sep 2018, 19:54

Bass wrote:
digital_matthew wrote: SSK with Displaywriter caps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mo ... %7Ciid%3A1
Final price: $142.45 shipped :o I know it was advertised as not being in the best shape but still, pretty cheap for an SSK with displaywriter caps no less.
I honored my "called it" promise. It took considerable restraint not to place a bid. I hope you won, zzrion. :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Sep 2018, 21:29

digital_matthew wrote:
Bass wrote: Final price: $142.45 shipped :o I know it was advertised as not being in the best shape but still, pretty cheap for an SSK with displaywriter caps no less.
I honored my "called it" promise. It took considerable restraint not to place a bid. I hope you won, zzrion. :)
Happy to see that some can still be civil in the current absurd market for keyboards.

zrrion

25 Sep 2018, 01:30

I did not, someone sniped me at the last second. :cry:

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

25 Sep 2018, 01:33

Yoooo though - that went for cheap o.O That's gotta be one of the least expensive SSK auctions I've seen. Sorry you lost though, zrrion =(

JP!

25 Sep 2018, 01:46

zrrion wrote: I did not, someone sniped me at the last second. :cry:
Ah man that stinks. Went cheap also. Are you on the hunt for any SSK or one with the displaywriter keys?

depletedvespene

25 Sep 2018, 01:52

zrrion wrote: I did not, someone sniped me at the last second. :cry:
GFL, I hate when that happens. :(

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 Sep 2018, 02:41

Sniping always occurs at the end, that is the whole idea. Any and all early bidding only serves to drive the price up.

zrrion

25 Sep 2018, 03:09

@jp! : I was trying to beat their bid but I was a split second too late! and any ssk really, but I would eventually want to deck it out with wheelwriter caps, bigass enter included.

digital_matthew

25 Sep 2018, 15:49

XMIT wrote:
digital_matthew wrote:
Bass wrote: Final price: $142.45 shipped :o I know it was advertised as not being in the best shape but still, pretty cheap for an SSK with displaywriter caps no less.
Happy to see that some can still be civil in the current absurd market for keyboards.
Thanks. This is just a hobby to me, and I don't want to get carried away.

This seller has some Selectric keycaps for you beamheads out there. No blues, unfortunately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-lot-of-repla ... 1215!US!-1

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Sep 2018, 16:49

zrrion wrote: @j[…] I was trying to beat their bid but I was a split second too late! […]
That's exactly what sniping is for :mrgreen:
You first decide on the maximum price you are ready to pay (including shipping and other costs if any, of course), and then you fire your maximum bid just in time for it to register but too late for others to react.

Snipers are always on the winning side:
either they get the item within their price range, or it sells for more than they wanted to pay.

Return to “Other external”