Great/Interesting Finds

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 May 2017, 20:49

The Alps spherical 'board will start a serious bidding war. E3E is gunning for it.

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 May 2017, 20:50

Techno Trousers wrote: I think a good parallel might be the IBM M15 craze. Those were being bid up into the thousands of dollars range years ago, but now they're in the hundreds. Who knows when hype bubbles will be formed and burst?

My one and only attempt at a beamspring auction was three years ago when two nice examples were up for auction by the same seller. I thought I had generous snipe and contingency bids on for both, but they both ended up near $300. I just can't justify paying those kinds of prices for a keyboard I know won't become my daily driver due to layout issues, and I'm okay with that.

In the meantime I'm loving capacitive buckling spring and ergo clears. Maybe if a modern beamspring revival project gets off the ground I'll finally get to try it.
They still command an okay price. I can only imagine what Cyrillic caps would do to the $$$. ;)

alh84001
v.001

23 May 2017, 21:05

Slom wrote: anti lisp ("REPL SUCK") board
made my day

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 00:02

Slom wrote:
seebart wrote:
Stabilized wrote: I'm trying to judge the point where it becomes a worthwhile profession to become a beamspring trader.
If these prices persist and if can or did buy for less, much less...

Just on a fun sidenote our DT member jou bought a 3278 for like 20 Euros last year. Of course there are those that have found Beamsprings in dumpsters...
That 3277 would have traded for 30€ but for the "Want beam spring have $$$" threads; mind you it was still a good deal nonetheless.

Yeah man. That's my thread.

You mad bruh?

Also many people WILL use Beamspring for a daily driver. Yes we really love the switch for typing screenplays ect.
Last edited by MrDuul on 24 May 2017, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 00:09

seebart wrote:
Stabilized wrote: I'm trying to judge the point where it becomes a worthwhile profession to become a beamspring trader.

Just on a fun sidenote our DT member jou bought a 3278 for like 20 Euros last year. Of course there are those that have found Beamsprings in dumpsters...
I would rather buy a beam spring for $800 in mint condition then find one in a dumpster.

I am a business man and don't have time for full blown month long restorations.

Once again, it's worth just buying and grabbing a beamspring for $500+ then hunting and searching a freaking recycling plant I mean seriously guys?

Time is money and I don't have time to search a recycling plant or dive into a dumpster and contract a disease....

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 00:12

I wish it went above $1,000.

wobbled

24 May 2017, 00:15

MrDuul wrote:
seebart wrote:

I would rather buy a beam spring for $800 in mint condition then find one in a dumpster.

I am a business man and don't have time for full blown month long restorations.

Once again, it's worth just buying and grabbing a beamspring for $500+ then hunting and searching a freaking recycling plant I mean seriously guys?

Time is money and I don't have time to search a recycling plant or dive into a dumpster and contract a disease....
Part of the fun is getting a board in shit condition and doing it up to turn it in to something you can be proud to use. If you want to pay ridiculous amounts for keyboards to show off or whatever then that's totally fine, but there are much better ways.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 00:18

Like this in my attachment? That is fun?

Some people aren't REALLY into that.... Well worth paying some big bucks to get one in great condition.
Attachments
XjHwoDx.jpg
XjHwoDx.jpg (307.02 KiB) Viewed 5009 times

wobbled

24 May 2017, 00:23

MrDuul wrote: Like this in my attachment? That is fun?

Some people aren't REALLY into that.... Well worth paying some big bucks to get one in great condition.
A clean up and a possible powder-coat job and it'll be better condition than the one you own mate... There really isn't much to fixing up a keyboard. If you were applying this argument to a car then absolutely spend more money on them and get something far better, but keyboards are completely different. Under all that years of dirt is the exact same keyboard as the one you'd pay thousands for... So why not do them up? If you're so busy and truly are a rich businessman like you were implying earlier then pay someone on here to do the restoration for you and then at least we could get an enjoyable restoration thread out of it.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

24 May 2017, 00:25

But some people are. Like this one of mine from this:
Spoiler:
to this:
Spoiler:
I just used some cleaning products. I actually find restoration and cleaning keyboards therapeutic and that's why this is a hobby and not a business. To each his own.

wobbled

24 May 2017, 00:26

snuci wrote:

Spoiler:
to this:
Spoiler:
I just used some cleaning products. I actually find restoration and cleaning keyboards therapeutic and that's why this is a hobby and not a business. To each his own.
Absolutely stunning

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 May 2017, 00:29

That is a photo of one of three 3277s I found last year. Yes, it was fun turning that into this:

If you don't see the value of the hard work put into restoring a keyboard, you are missing out, my friend.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 00:30

Well I do, I respect this forum because of people like you. The restorations are amazing!

That is some amazing work!

However.

Also I am not saying I CAN'T do restorations. I have done PC Mods / Restorations since I was 15 years old so I probably could do it. I also took apart my Model M SSK, cleaned it inside and out, nothing serious.

Just saying I don't have to much time for it anymore like I use too and worth just purchasing one in good condition.

nsmechkb

24 May 2017, 00:37

snuci wrote:

Spoiler:
to this:
Spoiler:
That after shot is gorgeous; those caps are glowing. Great work!

j0d1

24 May 2017, 02:30

orihalcon wrote: To add to the great and interesting Beamspring thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192194351305

It's the 5251 with monitor.
I spoke with the seller.

Good news: they are open to sell the keyboard only.
Bad news: the current offer is 700$USD.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 02:44

That is actually good news.

How rare is that board? Anyone seen anything like that?

I am talking about the key layout.

JP!

24 May 2017, 02:51

Then again it is a shame separating the keyboard from equipment such as this. It probably should be in a museum. Vintage computer collectors must really hate us. I can all but guarantee we will be seeing more finds in the near future. I have been seeing a number of local Craigslist posts looking for this sort of stuff. The sharks smell blood.

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 May 2017, 03:04

Yes, I agree. I normally have no scruples with parting the keyboard from its system but I made an exception with my 3277s, which I was fortunate enough to find as complete display stations. A number of people approached me with offers but they were interested only in the keyboard!

Fortunately, two of them have went to members here who were willing to take them whole. If I ever get rid of my 3277, I will likely not do it unless whoever was interested also took the display terminal.

The VCFED people have a term for us vintage keyboard enthusiasts: Keyboard poachers! :ugeek:

alh84001
v.001

24 May 2017, 03:10

Talking about VCFED and splitting systems up:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... h-Keyboard

Leading edge computer with DC-2014 keyboard that seller will not split up.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

24 May 2017, 03:25

As a vintage computer collector, it saddens me when people split up keyboards from their computer/terminal. It would be akin to a keyboard collector watching a key switch collector split up a beam spring keyboard so they could collect the switches. I seriously hope the seller of the 5251 terminal doesn't split it up. Incidentally, the seller who is selling the DC-2014 also sold a 5251 with keyboard in the last month or so and would not split it up.

If anyone here buys the complete terminal with keyboard, drop me a line. I'll buy the 5251 terminal as I already have the matching keyboard.

codemonkeymike

24 May 2017, 03:27

I don't blame people not wanting to split a vintage monitor or computer from its keyboard. It is definitely a sin to break those up, when you kick the bucket or plan on selling your stuff you should do likewise and sell the keyboard with its respective parts (Including the old controller and cable!). Thats just my opinion though.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 03:48

Very bad to break apart the family unit :-(

Chyros

24 May 2017, 08:32

This appears to be a forerunner of the Zenith Z-150. Spherical Alps doubleshots and green Alps (not clean). Pretty funky layout. Interestingly enough it does appear to be based on the same chassis as the Z-150.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ZENIT ... SwPh5ZIyNR

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 May 2017, 09:31

Chyros wrote: This appears to be a forerunner of the Zenith Z-150. Spherical Alps doubleshots and green Alps (not clean). Pretty funky layout. Interestingly enough it does appear to be based on the same chassis as the Z-150.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ZENIT ... SwPh5ZIyNR
That's quite interesting, never seen it before.
MrDuul wrote:
I wish it went above $1,000.
You're a real "special" one aren't you? I mean WTF? Some of these noobs around here now... :? I guess that's part of why this whole place is turning to shit...

MrDuul wrote: Well I do, I respect this forum because of people like you. The restorations are amazing!

That is some amazing work!
Good thing you got the curve there, DT isn't about $$$ blowing.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 10:38

Just doing some epic trolling mah bruh. :twisted:

seebart

24 May 2017, 10:47

MrDuul wrote: Just doing some epic trolling mah bruh. :twisted:
That's right. ;) And I'm not MAD. :D Let's just hope (for you) that your $$$ Beamer is really "mint" on the inside too. Often these Beamsprings look fine from the outside and when opened... :o

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 11:01

seebart wrote:
That's right. ;) And I'm not MAD. :D Let's just hope (for you) that your $$$ Beamer is really "mint" on the inside too. Often these Beamsprings look fine from the outside and when opened... :o
I just got it today and it is mint condition on inside and out. Quite a find, no corrosion.

Keys are heaven and am going to convert to USB with solenoid installed.

seebart

24 May 2017, 11:16

MrDuul wrote:
seebart wrote:
I just got it today and it is mint condition on inside and out. Quite a find, no corrosion.
You got lucky then. Let's see some pics. :evilgeek:

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 12:21

Soon. once I get my kishsaver in the mail, I will make a thread

wobbled

24 May 2017, 12:48

MrDuul wrote: Soon. once I get my kishsaver in the mail, I will make a thread
So where do you expect to get a kishsaver from if you dont want to trash pick? No one wants to sell theirs.

Return to “Other external”