Great/Interesting Finds

User avatar
digital_matthew

Unread post by digital_matthew » 04 Jan 2019, 03:26

The retirement placard is actually kind of cute...

User avatar
JP!

Unread post by JP! » 04 Jan 2019, 03:32

What's funny is that I was actually looking for a gold bicycle chain on eBay but this came up first :lol:

User avatar
ekeppel

Unread post by ekeppel » 04 Jan 2019, 04:07


User avatar
JP!

Unread post by JP! » 04 Jan 2019, 04:22

digital_matthew wrote: The retirement placard is actually kind of cute...
I just noticed that the numbers on that placard match the numbers on the bottom label of this keyboard. :lol:

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

Unread post by kbdfr » 04 Jan 2019, 15:15

Cherry G80-2511 HCX:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/332978233832
(undocumented in the wiki)
Spoiler:
Yes, Cherry. With Cherry switches and Cherry keycaps. Made by Cherry :lol:

User avatar
Keybug

Unread post by Keybug » 05 Jan 2019, 12:59

NIB Acer switch board for 10€ + 1€ + shipping: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... pp_android

They're great clicky switches really, give them a shot!

Howarddj

Unread post by Howarddj » 05 Jan 2019, 17:54

Keybug wrote: Amazing bit of typewriter / computing history here on eBay: an Olivetti XP 1076 computer with a Hermes branded screen and keyboard. Apparently, Olivetti took over the Hermes typewriter business in 1981, then shut it down in 1989. This must be one of the very rare attempts to transport the Hermes brand name into the age of computing. Probably one really, really rare keyboard! Clearly with Olivetti internals and design...
I won the auction for this machine on eBay. I wanted it for the keyboard and the pc case for a sleeper build.
Sadly the keyboard is an olivetti rubber dome :(

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Muirium
µ

Unread post by Muirium » 05 Jan 2019, 18:14

Pity. Seeing all those domes mounted in a sheet like that really does remind me of Topre. Wonder what it would take to mod this board to capsense… or indeed if anything much would be gained in doing that!

User avatar
Keybug

Unread post by Keybug » 05 Jan 2019, 22:28

Oh, congrats on getting that! What exacltly is 'sleeper build'??

User avatar
samuelcable

Unread post by samuelcable » 05 Jan 2019, 22:31

Keybug wrote: Oh, congrats on getting that! What exacltly is 'sleeper build'??
outdated look or exterior, greatly modified interior to be the best//modern

User avatar
Hypersphere

Unread post by Hypersphere » 05 Jan 2019, 22:31

Muirium wrote: Pity. Seeing all those domes mounted in a sheet like that really does remind me of Topre. Wonder what it would take to mod this board to capsense… or indeed if anything much would be gained in doing that!
My thoughts exactly!

User avatar
Keybug

Unread post by Keybug » 05 Jan 2019, 22:41

Wanna try Taiwan jet axis?

User avatar
zrrion

Unread post by zrrion » 06 Jan 2019, 00:27

Muirium wrote: ...Topre. Wonder what it would take to mod this board to capsense.
How hard is that sort of thing? I don't recall seeing any custom topre stuff that isn't a cap/chassis/dome swap sort of thing.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

Unread post by Muirium » 06 Jan 2019, 01:07

Surely needs a custom PCB, with capsense pads. CommonSense could definitely drive it, though, so involved but not impossible. Oh, and don’t forget the conical springs!

User avatar
zrrion

Unread post by zrrion » 06 Jan 2019, 04:35

Yeah, a PCB, domes, and the springs. The PCB and domes wouldn't be hard to get, but the springs would probably need to be harvested. Come to think of it, the springs are probably why you don't see too many custom topre projects.

User avatar
Keybug

Unread post by Keybug » 06 Jan 2019, 20:20

Two cheap white space invaders boards for you Americans. Good for spares, caps could be nice, given a wash...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADDS-Keyboard- ... SwUHBcMhDe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADDS-Keyboard- ... SwJ~xcMhBx

User avatar
Gamuholic

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Gamuholic » 08 Jan 2019, 06:30

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401612629095
Compaq glued a scanner onto a keyboard.

Red_October

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Red_October » 09 Jan 2019, 00:00

Gamuholic wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 06:30
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401612629095
Compaq glued a scanner onto a keyboard.
We had one of these at work a while ago, it was NIB and it took a while to sell and for not much money. The mechanism was, IIRC, rubber-dome and not of particular note. The scanner also isn't much by today's standards and I'm not at all sure you could even get it to work on a modern system.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

Re:

Unread post by abrahamstechnology » 09 Jan 2019, 00:04

zrrion wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 04:35
Yeah, a PCB, domes, and the springs. The PCB and domes wouldn't be hard to get, but the springs would probably need to be harvested. Come to think of it, the springs are probably why you don't see too many custom topre projects.
Can't we get some factory in China to make custom springs? I'd imagine it would be a wildly successful group buy.

User avatar
Keybug

Re:

Unread post by Keybug » 09 Jan 2019, 20:43

kbdfr wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 15:15
Cherry G80-2511 HCX:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/332978233832
(undocumented in the wiki)

Yes, Cherry. With Cherry switches and Cherry keycaps. Made by Cherry :lol:
X Used for special orders. Does not signify layout.
Price has gone down dramatically to 120€ with free shipping and you can make offers. Not that bad now - a keeper with some nicer caps?

Slom

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Slom » 09 Jan 2019, 21:44


Lanrefni

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Lanrefni » 09 Jan 2019, 21:52

Found an interesting looking Wyse terminal board- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WYSE-m ... :rk:9:pf:0

User avatar
TheInverseKey

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by TheInverseKey » 09 Jan 2019, 21:56

Lanrefni wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 21:52
Found an interesting looking Wyse terminal board- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WYSE-m ... :rk:9:pf:0
That's the dome version of the Wyse PCE.

Lanrefni

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Lanrefni » 10 Jan 2019, 00:11

TheInverseKey wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 21:56
Lanrefni wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 21:52
Found an interesting looking Wyse terminal board- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WYSE-m ... :rk:9:pf:0
That's the dome version of the Wyse PCE.
That would explain the low price then.

Slom

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Slom » 10 Jan 2019, 08:17


User avatar
Keybug

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Keybug » 10 Jan 2019, 17:00

Got this, but did I overpay? What would have been a good price for it? (I assume it has ALPS plate springs.) Yummy!-

Howarddj

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Howarddj » 10 Jan 2019, 17:55

Congrats to whoever just outbid me to that uk model M on ebay.
£25 +p&p
That's a bargain right there.

Slom

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by Slom » 10 Jan 2019, 20:28

Keybug wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 17:00
Got this, but did I overpay? What would have been a good price for it? (I assume it has ALPS plate springs.) Yummy!-
It is this one I think, so yes alps plate spring.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150730015 ... l#5576-002

User avatar
hansichen

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by hansichen » 11 Jan 2019, 21:34

waltervercetti wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 20:57
Guys, what do you think about purchasing keyboards on eBay? Do you know something about scams here or how to detect them? My friend persuades me that there's nothing to fear. He says 'just enter your address carefully, check your zip code here https://worldpostalcode.com/united-stat ... is/chicago and everything's OK'. But in news, I read more and more often about different frauds. So I still hesitate.
Many people here buy stuff on ebay, craigslist and other platforms and normally everything goes well. I personally never had issues when buying a keyboard. If you want to stay save use paypal or other payment services which give the buyer a protection.

User avatar
madrobby

Re: Great/Interesting Finds

Unread post by madrobby » 11 Jan 2019, 21:38

waltervercetti wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 20:57
Guys, what do you think about purchasing keyboards on eBay? Do you know something about scams here or how to detect them? My friend persuades me that there's nothing to fear. He says 'just enter your address carefully, check your zip code here https://worldpostalcode.com/united-stat ... is/chicago and everything's OK'. But in news, I read more and more often about different frauds. So I still hesitate.
eBay is 100% fine as long as you use PayPal. If anything goes wrong with your purchase the worst thing that can happen is that you have to wait for a couple of weeks to get a refund though opening a case with eBay. As a buyer eBay will always side with you if anything goes wrong, no questions asked.

Post Reply

Return to “Other external”