Great/Interesting Finds

User avatar
hellothere

26 Jul 2020, 19:22

The Marquardt is a really interesting one. I don't think I've seen one for sale in the year or two I've been doing the vintage keyboard thing.

The NMB? I'll come out and say that I'll sell you mine that has prettier keys, but isn't NOS, for an awful lot less than $173 :D. I'd be interested to see if it has the same Space Invaders grey switches as mine, tho.

User avatar
wobbled

26 Jul 2020, 22:08

dcopellino wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 19:21
wobbled wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 16:49
Quick post to say I've sold every other keyboard I own, this F62 is all I need.

Cheers
Oh shit! So you are clean now! You got out of the tunnel. Lucky you. I am still in, addict! ... And it's growing up... :D
Good thing is these keyboards hold their value, if not sky rocket so we can always get back what we put in to them.

User avatar
VelonicV

27 Jul 2020, 10:48

Image

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sperry-Univac- ... 4377613988

Apparently has the tall linear versions of ITW Magnetic Valve switches, supposedly super smooth.

According to the seller, these are the last three he has left.

More info: wiki/Sperry_UNIVAC_UDS-2000_2502

User avatar
ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Jul 2020, 14:40

HHKB serial number 000140 with original case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HHKB-Happy-Hac ... 4267021499

kelvinhall05

27 Jul 2020, 15:47

ramnes wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 14:40
HHKB serial number 000140 with original case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HHKB-Happy-Hac ... 4267021499
Banana hhkb

User avatar
dcopellino

27 Jul 2020, 16:39

kelvinhall05 wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 15:47
ramnes wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 14:40
HHKB serial number 000140 with original case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HHKB-Happy-Hac ... 4267021499
Banana hhkb
iam yellow.png
iam yellow.png (604.59 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
:mrgreen:

beepbloop

29 Jul 2020, 04:29


latemodel24

29 Jul 2020, 05:48

shhhhh

User avatar
JP!

30 Jul 2020, 17:27

FYI, new beamspring price. And no I did not get this one :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-56 ... SwMoRfIr3m

User avatar
ddrfraser1

30 Jul 2020, 17:47

JP! wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 17:27
FYI, new beamspring price. And no I did not get this one :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-56 ... SwMoRfIr3m
...wut :?:

User avatar
JP!

30 Jul 2020, 17:57

ddrfraser1 wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 17:47
...wut :?:
Reminds me of better times when we could find good deals...

Image

User avatar
Weezer

30 Jul 2020, 18:02

Do you think that the prices as they are will likely hold since there's a limited supply and an always growing amount of collectors or do you think that the high prices on some of these are fad prices and that people will lose interest again as they did in the 90's?

User avatar
E3E

30 Jul 2020, 18:18

I feel like part of the lack of care came from less awareness, less information about these, and also generational differences. In the 90s, this equipment was becoming useless and getting phased out and there were so many advances going on that I'm sure made it easy to cast the old, dated stuff aside back then. There wasn't a wide community for it and many of these boards would stay unconverted and unusable on modern systems for ages, which put the only ones who actively cared about it all in a small niche.

Though there are and will always be collectors amongst every generation, I feel that younger buyers who have money and are fascinated by this kind of gear they've never been able to experience will search for it, and that stirs competition and demand which ratchets up the prices for particularly rare or sought-after stuff.

I personally don't see the collectors market surges dying down unless there's a huge persistent economic decline again like there was post 2008 recession.

User avatar
JP!

30 Jul 2020, 18:42

E3E wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 18:18
I feel like part of the lack of care came from less awareness, less information about these, and also generational differences. In the 90s, this equipment was becoming useless and getting phased out and there were so many advances going on that I'm sure made it easy to cast the old, dated stuff aside back then. There wasn't a wide community for it and many of these boards would stay unconverted and unusable on modern systems for ages, which put the only ones who actively cared about it all in a small niche.

Though there are and will always be collectors amongst every generation, I feel that younger buyers who have money and are fascinated by this kind of gear they've never been able to experience will search for it, and that stirs competition and demand which ratchets up the prices for particularly rare or sought-after stuff.

I personally don't see the collectors market surges dying down unless there's a huge persistent economic decline again like there was post 2008 recession.
Pretty much this. When I got my first Model F XT from an older coworker he told me that he was glad when keyboards got quieter! I've also acquired items on multiple occasions from the older generation who thought their old electronics had no value. There are a growing number of collectors globally even though this is a very niche hobby. I've seen local items end up in Asia for example.

I've seen lots of collectibles including vintage tech move pretty consistently with prices either holding steady or slightly increasing with limited supply during this pandemic. More people working from home and spending their stimulus or unemployment checks but this easy money won't last. We are in a recession but we might not fully realize the economic effects for months or years down the road. For some people this pain may even be felt for the rest of their lives.

User avatar
Weezer

30 Jul 2020, 18:58

Yeah...I was thinking similarly which is unfortunate. I was hoping that someone here would tell me that I'm wrong lol. I suppose it's a curse and a blessing since it means as awareness grows, fewer will be trashed. I picked up a keyboard from a very nice fellow yesterday who said that the other people in his office were going to trash it. But then in the same vein he also said he'd received countless messages about it and quizzed me about whether I was going to flip it or split the keyboard up from the rest of the computer, which of course I won't.

I agree on the recession JP!, there's going to be a huge housing crisis soon when the extended unemployment runs out and people still can't go back to work because the places they worked for went belly-up, or are still quarantined because we still do not have the virus under control in the US. Unfortunately I've seen the corporate powers that be use the pandemic as an excuse to further consolidate power by laying off employees at the start of the pandemic and then hiring them back for base wages less than they made before. :( As for whether this will impact the prices of keyboards, I'm not sure, since many of the collectors seem to work I.T. jobs which pay reasonably well.

User avatar
zrrion

30 Jul 2020, 19:38

I think the best way to get decent prices is to become friends with other people in the hobby and do trades and the like and to watch for good deals. I've scored some good deals because someone tipped me off to something that I wouldn't have seen myself, and I've gotten other stuff from folks directly before that stuff could even enter the market. Market prices aren't really going to go down unless a lot of the itch that vints scratch are addressed by modern manufacturers. like if ALPS brings back blue alps that are comparable to the old ones then the price of blues would likely drop, but that specific example isn't likely to happen.

At this point I've more or less got all the stuff I want to use, with a few exceptions, and everything for me is either an attempt to help my RSI or out of curiosity. A lot of the stuff I'm curious about is stuff that isn't documented and therefore there's no demand and that helps, but it results in me getting a lot of typewriters, calculators, and numpads that even if they had something cool in them are unlikely to be especially valuable just as a function of not being keyboards.

User avatar
Weezer

30 Jul 2020, 20:36

That's true. I've been incredibly fortunate to have received the help that I did with acquiring and repairing keyboards. I'm really grateful for that. Having nice keyboards has really changed how I enjoy my job since I have to type 8 hours a day and I no longer go home with my wrists and fingers aching and prickling all over. Cherry's worked okay, but I hated the scratchiness of them, particularly on the clicky variants, so Model F has really been a godsend for me, not to mention they look cool as hell and last forever.

The only other keyboard I'd seriously want outside of a curiosity is the one from the 4978, but I probably have a better chance of landing on the moon than I do finding one.

User avatar
dcopellino

31 Jul 2020, 10:33

Weezer wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 20:36
The only other keyboard I'd seriously want outside of a curiosity is the one from the 4978, but I probably have a better chance of landing on the moon than I do finding one.
It's nice to read your thoughts about how you got into this hobby. But I have some doubts on the possibility of using an IBM 4978 keyboard as a daily driver or even for some sporadic uses due to its dated layout without modifier keys or others amenities we are used to. Btw, I'll enjoy and follow with the usual nice mood the tryout clip chyros promised for the next 1st of August.
At least we know where commodore took inspiration for the c64 design.

juspek

31 Jul 2020, 11:06

Nice looking Sony keyboard: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Monitor-K ... 3669596739
Comes with additional monitor :)

User avatar
ddrfraser1

31 Jul 2020, 14:44

juspek wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 11:06
Nice looking Sony keyboard: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Monitor-K ... 3669596739
Comes with additional monitor :)
Oof, I would get that whole package if it was in the US

EnthusiastDude

31 Jul 2020, 15:14

ddrfraser1 wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 14:44
juspek wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 11:06
Nice looking Sony keyboard: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Monitor-K ... 3669596739
Comes with additional monitor :)
Oof, I would get that whole package if it was in the US
Any clue for what to expect with this keyboard?
I think I've seen the keycaps before, but I can't remember where :?:

juspek

31 Jul 2020, 16:21

Oof, I would get that whole package if it was in the US
Yeah, too bad it doesn't even ship to EU, only to UK. Like these TI boards are "Endast köpare inom Sverige":https://www.tradera.com/item/340854/410 ... ntbord-2st

User avatar
ddrfraser1

31 Jul 2020, 16:40

Good price considering the BKE domes and mods. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topre-Realforc ... %7Ciid%3A1

good price for an M 122 with a square badge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264813962596?ul_noapp=true

forter4

31 Jul 2020, 18:06

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283963853594?s ... Track=true

This looks exactly like the one that sold a few weeks ago...kinda skeptical

Unless he has a whole storage full of these and takes the pics at very specific angles


kmnov2017

31 Jul 2020, 22:44

Unicomp case, so not worth more than 60 IMHO...

zzxx53

31 Jul 2020, 22:52

kmnov2017 wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:44

Unicomp case, so not worth more than 60 IMHO...
Ah - didn't see the swapped case part.
At least the seller bothered to transfer the label to the new case; but agree that definitely not worth $300.

kmnov2017

01 Aug 2020, 02:02

zzxx53 wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:52
kmnov2017 wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:44

Unicomp case, so not worth more than 60 IMHO...
Ah - didn't see the swapped case part.
At least the seller bothered to transfer the label to the new case; but agree that definitely not worth $300.
What makes you think it's an original label? Anybody can make a label in minutes ...

User avatar
JP!

01 Aug 2020, 02:14

kmnov2017 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 02:02
What makes you think it's an original label? Anybody can make a label in minutes ...
That label looks legit from the printing and the wear. Probably was easily removed with the aid of a heatgun or hair dryer. Besides if you wanted to go through the trouble of making a label at least make one with a desirable part number like a proper Industrial should have.

User avatar
ddrfraser1

01 Aug 2020, 03:55

zzxx53 wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:52
kmnov2017 wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:44

Unicomp case, so not worth more than 60 IMHO...
Ah - didn't see the swapped case part.
At least the seller bothered to transfer the label to the new case; but agree that definitely not worth $300.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23581

Post Reply

Return to “Other external”