Gold badge omnikey 102

Rezene

08 Jul 2019, 21:29

I hope I'm not breaking any rules because I don't really know how the ebay tab works but I saw this and did not buy it and was wondering if I made a mistake or not. it was this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3958361440. What's the chances that this board has white alps and not blue? with how much shine on the caps would the switches still feel smooth? How can you tell if a board has white or blue alps?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

08 Jul 2019, 21:36

You'd need a pic of the back label to determine if it's blue or white. If you saw it and didn't buy it I would say that yes, that was a mistake, hahaha. More likely blue alps than white.

An insane deal for whoever picked that one up!

User101

09 Jul 2019, 04:43

//gainsborough wrote:
You'd need a pic of the back label to determine if it's blue or white. If you saw it and didn't buy it I would say that yes, that was a mistake, hahaha. More likely blue alps than white.

Ebay is strange sometimes. I put up a keyword notification of omnikey but I didn't find this one at all. Just like last time something put up two displaywriter keyboard for sale at
100 I didn't receive anything so I missed that insane steal. Looks like my Ebay is actively trying to steer me away from steals! :cry:

adamcobabe

09 Jul 2019, 13:16

User101 wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:

Ebay is strange sometimes. I put up a keyword notification of omnikey but I didn't find this one at all. Just like last time something put up two displaywriter keyboard for sale at
100 I didn't receive anything so I missed that insane steal. Looks like my Ebay is actively trying to steer me away from steals! :cry:
Ebay also seems to have dramatically increased the visibility of it's stupid sponsored posts. It's like spam level now. There will be one item that matches your saved search and like five old sponsored garbage posts.

ball00n

09 Jul 2019, 13:22

User101 wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:

Ebay will notify you about new items only once a day, not when new item matching your search appears. It will also only notify you if the item wasn't sold. This keyboard listing was up for about 10 minutes or so. If you don't want to miss new items there are 2 options: manual page refresh or bots.

adamcobabe

09 Jul 2019, 14:00

ball00n wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 13:22
User101 wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:

Ebay will notify you about new items only once a day, not when new item matching your search appears. It will also only notify you if the item wasn't sold. This keyboard listing was up for about 10 minutes or so. If you don't want to miss new items there are 2 options: manual page refresh or bots.
I think the eBay app works differently. You can refresh the updates whenever you want. Probably not as good bots, but better than eBay's daily email updates. I still miss the old RSS feeds.

Polecat

09 Jul 2019, 17:42

Rezene wrote:
I hope I'm not breaking any rules because I don't really know how the ebay tab works but I saw this and did not buy it and was wondering if I made a mistake or not. it was this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3958361440. What's the chances that this board has white alps and not blue? with how much shine on the caps would the switches still feel smooth? How can you tell if a board has white or blue alps?
Certainly not by the sound or feel in the case of the early white SKCM switches as found in the gold label Northgates.

If the slider color is important just for bragging rights you'll need to pull a cap. Nothing on the outside of the keyboard will tell you that for sure, although an early or late inspection number will stack the odds somewhat. It appears that the change from blue to white does not correspond exactly to either inspection number, serial number (if the fragile paper label is still present), or label date (likewise).

From my own list I have 36 Gen 1 (gold label) Northgates on record by serial number. 24 of those have blue SKCM, 7 have white SKCM, and 5 are unknown.

Rezene

10 Jul 2019, 03:09

Polecat wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 17:42
Rezene wrote:
Certainly not by the sound or feel in the case of the early white SKCM switches as found in the gold label Northgates.

If the slider color is important just for bragging rights you'll need to pull a cap. Nothing on the outside of the keyboard will tell you that for sure, although an early or late inspection number will stack the odds somewhat. It appears that the change from blue to white does not correspond exactly to either inspection number, serial number (if the fragile paper label is still present), or label date (likewise).

From my own list I have 36 Gen 1 (gold label) Northgates on record by serial number. 24 of those have blue SKCM, 7 have white SKCM, and 5 are unknown.
So early white alps are practically the same thing as blue alps? Is that universal for all keyboards or just omnikeys.

Polecat

10 Jul 2019, 06:42

Rezene wrote:

So early white alps are practically the same thing as blue alps? Is that universal for all keyboards or just omnikeys.
It's actually much more, uh, complicated than that. The simple version would more accurately be that late blue Alps sound and feel the same, or nearly the same as very early white Alps. I would suggest that the condition of the switches would make much more of a difference than slider color.

The Alps SKCM switches apparently went through a bunch of changes. I'm not sure if anyone has documented them all, or if it's even possible to accurately do so. There were several versions of blue Alps switches, and many different versions of white Alps. So it's never as simple as "blue is better than white". Perhaps that needs to go in the Unpopular Opinions thread?

I have two gold label Northgate keyboards built three weeks apart; one with blue switches, the other with whites. I've owned them almost since new, and both are in pristine unrestored condition. I can't tell the two apart in sound or feel, and I'd challenge any of the experts to do so in a blind test.

Northgate was not the only company to switch over from blue to white SKCM switches as a running change. Focus, Multitech/Acer, Leading Edge, and many others did the same thing. Nobody worried about slider color back in the day, it was simply clicky, tactile, or linear. We don't know why the slider color was changed from blue to white on the clicky switches (or at least I don't think we do...) but again it was just one of many running changes in the clicky SKCM switches. And in my opinion the changes in internal parts made much more of a difference than the color of the sliders.

It should also be mentioned that some people prefer the later white SKCM switches over the early white or blue versions, and there's not a thing wrong with that.

Don't be afraid to buy an Alps keyboard because it has white switches instead of blue ones. Try as many different versions as you can get your hands on, and make an intelligent decision based on your own feelings, not on what someone else likes or thinks they do based on misconceptions or internet hype.

Rezene

10 Jul 2019, 07:03

Polecat wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 06:42
Rezene wrote:

It's actually much more, uh, complicated than that. The simple version would more accurately be that late blue Alps sound and feel the same, or nearly the same as very early white Alps. I would suggest that the condition of the switches would make much more of a difference than slider color.

The Alps SKCM switches apparently went through a bunch of changes. I'm not sure if anyone has documented them all, or if it's even possible to accurately do so. There were several versions of blue Alps switches, and many different versions of white Alps. So it's never as simple as "blue is better than white". Perhaps that needs to go in the Unpopular Opinions thread?

I have two gold label Northgate keyboards built three weeks apart; one with blue switches, the other with whites. I've owned them almost since new, and both are in pristine unrestored condition. I can't tell the two apart in sound or feel, and I'd challenge any of the experts to do so in a blind test.

Northgate was not the only company to switch over from blue to white SKCM switches as a running change. Focus, Multitech/Acer, Leading Edge, and many others did the same thing. Nobody worried about slider color back in the day, it was simply clicky, tactile, or linear. We don't know why the slider color was changed from blue to white on the clicky switches (or at least I don't think we do...) but again it was just one of many running changes in the clicky SKCM switches. And in my opinion the changes in internal parts made much more of a difference than the color of the sliders.

It should also be mentioned that some people prefer the later white SKCM switches over the early white or blue versions, and there's not a thing wrong with that.

Don't be afraid to buy an Alps keyboard because it has white switches instead of blue ones. Try as many different versions as you can get your hands on, and make an intelligent decision based on your own feelings, not on what someone else likes or thinks they do based on misconceptions or internet hype.
Thanks for this reply really helpful. I have a model f xt right now and it's my only mechanical besides a cherry mx black board and my pingmaster. I want to try out alps other than skcc green because I don't think they do alps justice on that board; I can't stand the profile. I was thinking about getting either a focus fk2001 with white alps or an apple m0116 with orange alps, because they are pretty cheap and I can get my foot in the door and see if I would use them over my model f because that thing is pretty amazing. Do you know any other boards that are worth buying or should I not buy one of the two that I am looking at? I can spend up to 150usd or so if I need. Any information is appreciated.

cli

10 Jul 2019, 12:56

Rezene wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 07:03
Thanks for this reply really helpful. I have a model f xt right now and it's my only mechanical besides a cherry mx black board and my pingmaster. I want to try out alps other than skcc green because I don't think they do alps justice on that board; I can't stand the profile. I was thinking about getting either a focus fk2001 with white alps or an apple m0116 with orange alps, because they are pretty cheap and I can get my foot in the door and see if I would use them over my model f because that thing is pretty amazing. Do you know any other boards that are worth buying or should I not buy one of the two that I am looking at? I can spend up to 150usd or so if I need. Any information is appreciated.

Early 1'gen Alps white switches are very nice. Look for boards between 88 and 90, Focus FK2001, Monterey K102, Omnigate, Acer 6011... ZedTheMan has some boards on sale viewtopic.php?f=55&t=21138&p=438843

Polecat

11 Jul 2019, 06:47

cli wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 12:56

Early 1'gen Alps white switches are very nice. Look for boards between 88 and 90, Focus FK2001, Monterey K102, Omnigate, Acer 6011... ZedTheMan has some boards on sale viewtopic.php?f=55&t=21138&p=438843
cli's advice is spot on. I would add Monterey K104 to the list, since those are common and usually inexpensive. Look for an early one with fat arrow key legends so you can have doubleshot caps instead of pad printed ones.

The first FK-2001 models had a plain bottom row with gaps between Ctrl and Alt on both sides. The second generation had a blank key in the left gap, and the backslash on the right. Third gen had Windows keys, and by then most had clones rather than genuine Alps switches. The first gen 2001s are more likely to have the early switches, which most people seem to prefer.

Silitek/Liteon SK-0002 is also a nice white Alps keyboard. There was a really clean one on ebay a few days ago that I almost went for, which might still be available.

I'd also recommend buying from a reputable DT member if possible. You're much more likely to get an honest description and a fair price. I recently bought a couple keyboards on ebay, including a white Alps K102 (Laser branded, about $60). Both turned out to be in really nice shape, but that was luck more than anything else.

Return to “eBay”