Anyone know the exact IBM Industrial color?

User avatar
ddrfraser1

11 Apr 2021, 15:34

Trying to color match for a project.

User avatar
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Apr 2021, 16:01

RAL 7030 is NOT it. Ellipse would know since he had his boards color matched to a Mopar SSK but I don't know if he'll tell you. Best bet is finding someone with a spectrophotometer (try saying that three times fast!) such as an auto body shop.

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Apr 2021, 16:10

My Unicomp industrial case seems brighter and greener that the old ones. Is that the result of aging or did IBM (or Lexmark) not reveal the secret formula in the sale?

User avatar
ddrfraser1

11 Apr 2021, 16:33

XMIT wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 16:01
RAL 7030 is NOT it. Ellipse would know since he had his boards color matched to a Mopar SSK but I don't know if he'll tell you. Best bet is finding someone with a spectrophotometer (try saying that three times fast!) such as an auto body shop.
That was gonna be my next move. It doesn’t have to be exact. Just better than the generic gray a lot of people paint their keyboards.

User avatar
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Apr 2021, 17:08

What's old is new again.

RAL 7030 powder coat: viewtopic.php?t=11432
Smith's Gray Cerakote: viewtopic.php?t=11573

User avatar
ddrfraser1

11 Apr 2021, 18:47

I mean, RAL 7030 looks pretty good to me... Maybe it's a shade lighter?

User avatar
E TwentyNine

11 Apr 2021, 20:00

ddrfraser1 wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 18:47
I mean, RAL 7030 looks pretty good to me... Maybe it's a shade lighter?
It's not the shade, it's the hue. It's too pure of a grey.

Razerban

11 Apr 2021, 20:59

Ellipse told me that he wasn’t able to match the colors by RAL or PANTONE. He is using a custom made one for the New Model F keyboards

User avatar
ddrfraser1

11 Apr 2021, 21:17

Yeah, I think having Sherwin Williams hit my industrial M with a light gun is the best option. They can make custom spray paint colors.

User avatar
ddrfraser1

12 May 2021, 03:58

My result:
Industrial M 122.jpg
Industrial M 122.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 1054 times

latemodel24

12 May 2021, 04:07

Wow that looks really good!

User avatar
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 May 2021, 04:34

Wow! I have a Sherwin Williams just up the road, can you share some info so they can mix me up a batch?

User avatar
ddrfraser1

12 May 2021, 04:44

XMIT wrote:
12 May 2021, 04:34
Wow! I have a Sherwin Williams just up the road, can you share some info so they can mix me up a batch?
Sure thing. Just take your industrial M into the store, have them hit it with the light gun and they'll whip up a batch for you. It only comes in gallons. No more custom spray paints unfortunately. But there is hope! Pick up this preval sprayer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NXNE6CO?ps ... ct_details

and mix up 3 parts pain with one part water and get to work. The primer you choose will be important. I went with a gray primer and it was slightly less brilliant than the original. White would probably be better. Then, hit it with a semi gloss clear coat. I originally used Matte clear coat but the original M actually has a fair amount of sheen to it so I definitely could have used more.

User avatar
ddrfraser1

12 May 2021, 04:46

0th gen for comparison
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1022 times

User avatar
Bjerrk

12 May 2021, 08:42

ddrfraser1 wrote:
12 May 2021, 04:44
mix up 3 parts pain with one part water and get to work.
I had a feeling that would be the recipe.

User avatar
ddrfraser1

12 May 2021, 13:33

Bjerrk wrote:
12 May 2021, 08:42
ddrfraser1 wrote:
12 May 2021, 04:44
mix up 3 parts pain with one part water and get to work.
I had a feeling that would be the recipe.
Haha

User avatar
raoulduke-esq

12 May 2021, 14:00

ddrfraser1 wrote:
12 May 2021, 04:44
Just take your industrial M into the store
404 - resource not found.

You have to have money to make money and you have to have industrial to make industrial.

Does SW give some kind of code or recipe that could be shared with the have nots?

User avatar
ddrfraser1

12 May 2021, 14:39

Yes. I bring glad tidings.
5F374753-A74D-4C05-85BB-9ABF34E40C29.jpeg
5F374753-A74D-4C05-85BB-9ABF34E40C29.jpeg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 885 times

User avatar
raoulduke-esq

12 May 2021, 14:41

ddrfraser1 wrote:
12 May 2021, 14:39
Yes. I bring glad tidings.

5F374753-A74D-4C05-85BB-9ABF34E40C29.jpeg
Heroes don't always wear capes... some just share their custom paint colors.

Thank you!

User avatar
E TwentyNine

12 May 2021, 15:34

It looks good but it seems that these color matches always need just a *little* more olive/green, they're too gray.

I doubt you'd notice it in person unless, like here, it's up against an original.

I wonder if many who have industrials got them color matched what we'd all get for the values.

User avatar
ddrfraser1

12 May 2021, 15:39

E TwentyNine wrote:
12 May 2021, 15:34
It looks good but it seems that these color matches always need just a *little* more olive/green, they're too gray.
I agree completely. I wondered if it was down to the gray primer I used. OG has slightly more sheen too but that could have been solved with another coat or two of satin clear coat.

latemodel24

20 May 2021, 23:38

Is that a f122 or a m122 you pained in that industrial color.

Post Reply

Return to “Workshop”