Various resto-mods

jsheradin

30 May 2022, 22:47

headphone_jack wrote:
30 May 2022, 22:37
Whoa, that Viatron. How close did you ever get to figuring out the protocol? I've seen more than a few of those now and would love to see one in actual operation. From what I understand the keys are locked without power, like a Selectric. Did you ever manage to get them to unlock?
It's about as mechanical as it gets! Fortunately there's no lock or anything on my board at least. Protocol (if you can call it that) is very, very simple. It's basically raw parallel output from the photo-transistors with each key giving a unique 1/0 combination by blocking different light channels and triggering a strobe channel. Downside is that apart from CTRL/Shift keys it's 1kro.

The board needs 120V input to power the bulbs. 5V seems to work fine for the photo-transistors but they were intended to run at -14V from what I can tell in the manuals. The indicator bulb needs around 14V to get reasonable brightness.

I got it working with a proof of concept converter but the KRO limitation really just makes it a show-piece.

MathematicalJ

06 Jun 2022, 15:23

I love the HP 264x keyboard! So many satisfying buttons and switches. There's one on eBay, but I can't afford the expense right now. :(

That BM 5251 is also sexy.

sefixmm

06 Jun 2022, 16:47

Very impression collection and nice restoration works :shock:

jsheradin

09 Jul 2022, 01:36

Chameleon luggable
Spoiler:
TG3 cop car
Spoiler:
Forward FDA-102F
Spoiler:
Someone evidently 'upgraded' to a Chicony and stuffed their old board in the box
G81-3000SAD
Spoiler:
How a QWERTZ board ended up in a US dump is a mystery to me
Datacomp DFK-777
Spoiler:
Gould AS-9002
Spoiler:
It weighs 11.4lbs (5.17kg)
Same protocol as the Cortron CT-64
Wyse AT
Spoiler:
AT&T Buckling Spring
Spoiler:
IBM F XT
Spoiler:

inozenz

09 Jul 2022, 02:46

its always a pleasure to look through this threat- i espacially like the gould keyboard, looks so unique and the color scheme is very charming!

jsheradin

07 Oct 2022, 20:02

These DT posts are getting a bit heavy and slow to load with all the photos so I'm trying out Github wiki pages:

Microswitch

NMB RT-101+

IBM M2

Wyse WY-30

TG3 medical

IBM 4979

Nixdorf 8850

Return to “Workshop”