Keycaps get caught on switch housing

Stabilized

26 Mar 2015, 17:52

Has anyone experienced this happening with their switches (be it Cherry, Gateron, etc) that when you push down on the lower part of the keycap it seems to get caught on the switch housing. I am having this problem on my first Gateron build and it's driving me crazy!!

Edit: Video showing the problem:
Last edited by Stabilized on 26 Mar 2015, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

CeeSA

26 Mar 2015, 17:58

I never faced this problem until now. But I never tried Gateron ;)

Stabilized

26 Mar 2015, 17:59

I am just uploading a video showing the problem, FWIW I have never experienced it on a Cherry keyboard :/

beltet

26 Mar 2015, 21:21

I cant really recall but think I had the same problem with cherry switches. If I remember correct I think it was that the switch wasn't aligned correct in the plate.
But take this with a grain of salt. Can't really remember...

Stabilized

26 Mar 2015, 22:29

It's a PCB mount keyboard, so I don't think it would be the plate.

I had a look to make sure the key switches were seated properly in the PCB and they seem to be.
I even looked at the tops of the key switches to see if there was any left over plastic from the molding process but it seems to be fine.

Will have to do some more investigation, will try and get some Cherry switches and see if they do the same.

Stabilized

27 Mar 2015, 21:48

Seems like I have found a possible reason for this problem.
I tried a Cherry switch top and it didn't have the same problem as the Gateron, I then put the two side by side for comparison and it seems like the Gaterons are missing a little cut out at the bottom of the switch top; here's two pictures for reference:

Cherry:

Gateron:

As you can see the Gateron switch housing is completely flat at the bottom.
This seems to be the problem, but I will have to do some more testing. I have some abostring switch tops some where and some OEM keycaps to try out; will report back with my findings ;)

sectionpedia

30 Aug 2022, 06:21

Keycaps get caught on switch housing

A common problem with the older mechanical keyboards is that the keys can be difficult to press. The most common cause of this is that the keycaps are too big and they get caught on the switch housing.

The problem comes from how the switch housing is made. It's a metal plate that covers a smaller plastic plate with switches on it. This creates a gap between them, which allows you to put your fingers through it and press down on the switches.

The problem comes when you have thick keycaps and they're pressed down right against this gap. The pressure of your fingers against the switch housing will cause it to bend or deform slightly, which makes it harder for you to press down on it with enough force to register a keypress.

Muirium
µ

30 Aug 2022, 10:18

Thanks to lanrefni for spotting this necrotic themed spam. A peek at the spammer’s puppet account while dissolving him in acid made me laugh:
Username:
sectionpedia [ Banning ]
Groups:

Main keyboard:
space
Main mouse:
mouse
Favorite switch:
esc
Escape? Come on. Every spammer’s favourite “keyboard” is Control V! :lol:

Return to “Workshop”