Splitting a PCB

Minskleip

07 Feb 2011, 22:50

What components would I need to create this keyboard with physical separation of the hands?

1. Design the PCBs similar to how it would look if it was one large which was cut in half, and connect the traces with wires. That's too much wire, and I'd like to be able to remove the connecting cable.
2. Do it the right way. Any suggestions?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Feb 2011, 23:01

I would suggest two split PCBs, connect them with a thin ribbon cable. The ones that look like old IDE ones.

Sometime in 2006 some Korean guys re-created the PCB for the rare Cherry G80-5000, because US Layout versions were nearly impossible to find. They came up with this solution:

Mounting:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Feb 2011, 23:02

Optionally if you go with a design like this, you can use mounting pins instead of permanent solder. That way the ribbon cable will be easy to remove whenever you feel the need.

Minskleip

07 Feb 2011, 23:07

That's a good suggestion, thanks! The ribbon can be made round with MDPC sleeve and it wouldn't look too bad.

Having the cable removable or not would depend on the quality and design of the case. I wouldn't want to bring it to work and back anyway, so having it as easily detachable as the USB cable isn't necessary.

Input Nirvana

17 Apr 2011, 06:52

Is this a project you are doing, or just collecting info? I've got some questions if you are moving forward with this.

Thanks.

Minskleip

18 Apr 2011, 03:12

Research for building the XYNV keyboard (own thread). It's going slow, but I'll definitely finish before I expire ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Apr 2011, 03:16

That's easy to say. Who are we gonna hold accountable if you don't?

Minskleip

18 Apr 2011, 03:21

Jesus!

I'm not spending all my money on keycaps without using them, but I'm not going to order the pcb without income either. The case is just the finishing touch.

cactux

11 Oct 2011, 13:49

[Account and posts deleted on request]

cactux

11 Oct 2011, 14:50

[Account and posts deleted on request]

blainchen

13 Oct 2011, 12:47

Hey Minskleip,

If you are situated in Europe, you should give http://www.bilex-lp.com a try.
They have low prices and help you very well if you have any problems with a PCB.

Minskleip

13 Oct 2011, 19:18

Thanks for the tip, however I already ordered 10 pcbs (from pcbwing.com) :)

Now I just have to make time assembling it :oops:

Return to “Workshop”