Let's create the FSSK/FEXT = DONE !!!!

idollar
i$

21 Jan 2016, 07:24

XMIT wrote: No promises but I'll see what I can do.
Thank you XMIT

My idea was to "cut" the piece in the middle to allow the cable to go through. We could glue these two parts together, but there may be better options to deal with the issue of the size of the USB connector.

pcaro

21 Jan 2016, 09:42

Awesome! Can't wait for testing
idollar wrote:
XMIT wrote: Note that, you really don't need an SSK for FSSK. A full sized Model M will do nicely.

Without the pesky membrane in the way this is an easy chop. You'll need to cut the barrel plate, the steel back plate, and the top and bottom case, and epoxy and sand the case back together in an aesthetic way. But, if there was ever a super easy way to turn a full sized Model F into a TKL board, this is it. (You don't need to cut the rubber sheet or the membrane, they are no longer needed.)

Great work again, idollar. I'm looking forward to seeing the test results.
Yes you are fully right but for a comment: the top holes and cuts will need to be done in one side of the in the back metal plate after cutting it. They are needed to hold the internals.
That's a great idea. I have a Model M I could improve! The model Ms are easy to buy at decent prices too. But the problem with the holes has to be solved first.

chzel

21 Jan 2016, 16:06

A bit of testing I did last week shows that rubber dome M's can be used too. The back plate is really thin metal, but it should work. I need to test it a bit more...
If it all works out, the RD M's will be a good cheap source for FEXTs. You'd still need BS M caps, of course.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Jan 2016, 23:50

I didn't envision so many holes. I'm sure that made the design a bit more challenging.

idollar
i$

22 Jan 2016, 05:01

vivalarevolución wrote: I didn't envision so many holes. I'm sure that made the design a bit more challenging.
Let's simply say that the production draft is the v0r51

idollar
i$

23 Jan 2016, 14:41

All,

First things first:

- Thanks to wcass for all his help !
- Thanks to xwhatsit for his controller !

The first of all the FSSKs is being used to type this post :-)

Let me quickly summarise the mayor findings and progress:

1) The PCB fits perfectly. All the holes are aligned and the screws go through without any problem
2) The holes on top of the PCB where the inner part fits in the case are perhaps too small It works fine but removing it during the testing was complicated. It works anyhow.
3) I have installed a connector between the controller and the pcb. It works. It helped a lot to test the set.
4) The connector in 3) swaps the connections in pairs (1 = 2 / 2 =1 ; 3 = 4 / 4 = 3 ....). As the controller GNDs are set in pairs, this is not a problem. The only issue is that if anyone connects the controller directly it will need to adapt the xwhatsit configuration.
5)I have isolated the bottom metal plate with tape. I may add a foam layer underneath also.
6) If one tight the screws too much some keys may not work.
7) Initially I thought that it would be difficult to curve the PCB inside the sandwich, but some heat and pressure helped to make it curved. It worked very nicely.

In the down side:

There are two buts in the PCB

a) A missing trace
b) A top trace in the down button connected to the wrong pad

I could solve both with a little of wire and some handcraft ability with in soldering. I will offer the repair to the prototype contributors.

I do not have time to take and post pictures. I will post some this weekend, hopefully.

;-) ;) ;) :) :) :lol: :lol:

I will organise a group buy with the correct version after some time, when I test the keyboard properly, I mean, I type with it for a longer period.

scottc

23 Jan 2016, 14:44

Amazing work, idollar! I expected some small difficulties with the first run, but it seems like you have them all figured out. Now for the most important question... how does it feel?!

idollar
i$

23 Jan 2016, 14:45

scottc wrote: Amazing work, idollar! I expected some small difficulties with the first run, but it seems like you have them all figured out. Now for the most important question... how does it feel?!
Very similar to my F122

pcaro

23 Jan 2016, 15:44

Yes yes yes! Great work!

scottc

23 Jan 2016, 16:02

Fantastic! That's great news! Really, well done idollar. I really regret not being able to take one of these! The next time I'm at home, my worse-condition SSK is my #1 target.

idollar
i$

23 Jan 2016, 16:17

deleted
Last edited by idollar on 24 Jan 2016, 00:04, edited 2 times in total.

tigpha

23 Jan 2016, 17:02

Congratulations! Wonderful to see you succeed.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jan 2016, 17:13

idollar wrote: I will organise a group buy with the correct version after some time, when I test the keyboard properly, I mean, I type with it for a longer period.
This may be the best news of all! :D Thank you for that, and this whole project!

You said you needed to curve the PCB with heat? Maybe I missed it, but were they not able to do that during manufacturing?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jan 2016, 17:17

Oh, I thought of something else. For reassembly, did you use the plastic screws as proposed early in the project, or metal ones?

Hypersphere

23 Jan 2016, 20:28

@idollar: Please count me in for at least one and maybe three FSSKs when the final version is ready.

Are you thinking of making these available as complete finished FSSK keyboards, or will these be in the form of a kit for modding one's already-owned SSK into an FSSK?

Thanks!

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Jan 2016, 20:31

I've been quietly lurking this thread.. So happy to hear that it's a success. I'd definitely like to get some PCBs!

Perhaps it would be possible to get flippers from Ellipse for use with this project..

I have one question. Is the PCB curved? Surely it would need to be in order to be used with the curved upper plate of the SSK? Or am I missing something?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

23 Jan 2016, 22:30

photekq wrote: Perhaps it would be possible to get flippers from Ellipse for use with this project..
Hopefully. It would be a huge boon to the community if Ellipse were able to sell Model F parts for a reasonable price for all sorts of projects. We now have the expertise to make any conceivable Model F keyboard layout, and provide a controller, plate, barrels, and flippers from scratch. The only piece we're missing for a true grassroots keyboard is a consistent, cheap source of buckling spring key caps that is not Unicomp.

I don't know what pricing will be like but I hope it is reasonable. (I think Zealio switches are overpriced.)

wacko78

23 Jan 2016, 22:38

That looks very interesting

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Jan 2016, 23:35

XMIT wrote:
photekq wrote: Perhaps it would be possible to get flippers from Ellipse for use with this project..
Hopefully. It would be a huge boon to the community if Ellipse were able to sell Model F parts for a reasonable price for all sorts of projects. We now have the expertise to make any conceivable Model F keyboard layout, and provide a controller, plate, barrels, and flippers from scratch. The only piece we're missing for a true grassroots keyboard is a consistent, cheap source of buckling spring key caps that is not Unicomp.

I don't know what pricing will be like but I hope it is reasonable. (I think Zealio switches are overpriced.)
Well said.

Unicomp is that expensive if you don't mind stock layouts. Layouts for custom projects are going to expensive no matter where you get them.

Also, idollar, I hope it feels good to finally have this project complete. A major contribution to the vintage IBM community.

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 00:09

Techno Trousers wrote: Oh, I thought of something else. For reassembly, did you use the plastic screws as proposed early in the project, or metal ones?
I have used the screws that I have been using for any Model M mod since I read [url=workshop-f7/ibm-model-m-screw-nut-and-b ... tmlMadhias' post

DIN/ISO 7982 A2 2,2x6.5

There are cheaper places to order btw.

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 00:11

Hypersphere wrote: Are you thinking of making these available as complete finished FSSK keyboards, or will these be in the form of a kit for modding one's already-owned SSK into an FSSK?

Thanks!
I am thinking of making a group buy for the PCBs. If anyone is very interested getting a SSK modded from me I will be open to be PMed. but ... wait until I test the keyboard long enough.

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 00:18

photekq wrote: I've been quietly lurking this thread.. So happy to hear that it's a success. I'd definitely like to get some PCBs!

Perhaps it would be possible to get flippers from Ellipse for use with this project.
It is possible at 0.5 euros the flipper. I have bought XTs for 10 euros each !
My real problem is to find broken XTs. I hate to sacrifice good old keyboards

In my opinion it only makes sense to get flippers at a lower price.
I have one question. Is the PCB curved? Surely it would need to be in order to be used with the curved upper plate of the SSK? Or am I missing something?
The PCBs are regular flat PCBs. When I first had one on my hands I realised that it would be impossible to force it into the curved shape of the Model M without any curve. I applied some heat with a "good" hairdryer (1000W) and force it curve in the centre and at 2/6 and 5/6 in sequence. I maintained the pressure during until it cold down at the risk of getting my hands burned (I recommend gloves). The PCB got curved and fitted perfectly between the original plates. A 5 mins simple job.

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 00:21

vivalarevolución wrote: Also, idollar, I hope it feels good to finally have this project complete.
Feels good, thanks. It was a relieve when I saw that the keypresses were registered after I lowered the threshold.
A major contribution to the vintage IBM community.
Thanks a lot !

xwhatsit's contribution was mayor. wcass opened the PCBs path. I have just continued with their job. ;)

Hypersphere

24 Jan 2016, 01:17

idollar wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: Are you thinking of making these available as complete finished FSSK keyboards, or will these be in the form of a kit for modding one's already-owned SSK into an FSSK?

Thanks!
I am thinking of making a group buy for the PCBs. If anyone is very interested getting a SSK modded from me I will be open to be PMed. but ... wait until I test the keyboard long enough.
Okay, sounds interesting. I have an SSK that I would like to mod into an FSSK with your PCB. I hope that you might be willing to post (and/or include with the PCB) a thorough set of illustrated instructions for the mod, even if parts of it might be repeats of other mods, such as soldering controllers, doing a bolt or machine-screw mod of the SSK, and programming the controller. Thanks again.

Muirium
µ

24 Jan 2016, 03:02

Muahahaha!

Super glad I yoinked this out of the Surprise Box:

I have a slightly wonky blue label SSK that's looking nervous now! So consider me interested indeed.

pyrelink

24 Jan 2016, 05:29

I have both an XT and an SSK in pieces currently, and would love to build a FSSK. Add me to the eventual list for PCBs!

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 09:42

I have been typing with the keyboard now for a couple of hours and it seems that it works.

The patches that I had to apply to the PCB are working. I have covered the short cables with some contact glue to make it durable. It is not giving me any error.

I have also added a very thin layer of foam between the PCB and the metal plate. It improved the performance of the xwhatsit which was, sometimes registering wrong. The F feeling was not affected by it. I came to the conclusion that the F feeling is a mix of the long flippers and the solid hit in the PCB. It is actually a very nice keyboard. It will probably become my new all-day one !

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 10:03

pyrelink wrote: I have both an XT and an SSK in pieces currently, and would love to build a FSSK. Add me to the eventual list for PCBs!
I am now certain that the FEXT works. I will open a group buy in the proper place

@all the prototype contributors - I will need your addresses. I will repair the PCBs 0.51, test them to the possible extend and ship them to you. I cannot completely test the PCB with the 0001FSSK. It will take a very long time that I do no have.

You may be wonder why this name: 0001FSSK. Well, I have created the FSSK registration page.

pcaro

24 Jan 2016, 10:13

@idollar We are crazy waiting to hear the sound of the first FSSK! Remember compare it with your other SSK too.

Great idea the FSSK registration page

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 10:19

pcaro wrote: @idollar We are crazy waiting to hear the sound of the first FSSK! Remember compare it with your other SSK too.

Great idea the FSSK registration page
I have forgotten the other SSK in the office :-(
I am taking some pictures now

Return to “Workshop”