Let's create the FSSK/FEXT = DONE !!!!

idollar
i$

07 Jan 2016, 17:09

hammelgammler wrote: Just send you a PM about the order.

Sadly I realized that I need about 10-15 F flipper to have enough for two FSSK's, I think 10 should be alright though, and 15 would defnitly be enough.
Does anyone have about 10 extra flippers that they wouldn't need? That would be great! :)
... langsam ;-) Before asking for 10 extra flippers lets ensure that the PCB works.

I will also need some extra flippers to test the FEXT in a second step. I do not have enough for the two projects ...

I have sent you a PM.

idollar
i$

07 Jan 2016, 17:50

Compgeke wrote:
idollar wrote: I like your idea of the stickers.
Only one comment, It should read Design in Europe. Made in the USA :-)

The round labels are glorious !
A little more work done and some comparisons to original labels. http://imgur.com/a/GkRcz
@Compgeke

It is time to progress this also :)
What about an aluminium front label ? It would be nice

Compgeke

08 Jan 2016, 03:18

I've honestly got no idea on who to use for producing anything, whether stickers or aluminum badges. From a quick web search finding people to do custom size white labels is pretty easy, however not finding much on clear custom size labels. Problem with white would be it'd look odd against the otherwise beige casing.

I can do a test to see if I can do a run of my own using clear address labels. I'm thinking print then laser cut the custom shape out would work. I'll need to find out if I can use a laser cutter (know a place with one I was able to use before) and if so how well they stick to the case and how bad they look. I also have a new package of Avery 5660 labels so doing tests wouldn't cost anything.

As for alumimium, I have no idea where I'd start on that. I can't imagine it'd be cheap being as they aren't a rectangle and printing would be even more expensive, unless a batch was just cut then hand toner transferred (not exactly practical for batches). Does anyone have experience with custom metal badges?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Jan 2016, 03:40

Compgeke wrote: Does anyone have experience with custom metal badges?
I would do:
- apply heat resistant tape to aluminum
- use laser cutter to selectively remove tape
- powder coat and/or paint sections with no tape

wcass

08 Jan 2016, 04:07

I got a bunch of 1" square aluminum badges with the IBM logo printed on them about 4 or 5 years ago at a trophy shop; the quality was superb. I gave out most that i had at the first Geekhack KeyCon in Chicago. They were only able to do square badges because they had the 1" square aluminum blanks. They could not cut custom shapes then, but things may have changed in 4 or 5 years.

We might hit up Etsy to see if anyone doing laser engraving would be able to do something for us. I still have the artwork.

wcass

08 Jan 2016, 04:17

I just got a crazy idea; PCB badges; black mask; immersion gold IBM logo.
PCB badge.jpg
PCB badge.jpg (67.83 KiB) Viewed 6920 times
Last edited by wcass on 08 Jan 2016, 04:56, edited 2 times in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

08 Jan 2016, 04:36

Laser engraved aluminum?

idollar
i$

08 Jan 2016, 10:53

Some progress with the PCBs ...

The producer approved the PCB design. We can order !.
I had to made some modifications to ensure that the connector was seen as a PAD buy the manufacturer. I also added a silk layer to the top with the key distribution (rows and columns).

idollar
i$

08 Jan 2016, 11:38

----------------
LAST Reminder ?
----------------

I have created the following spreadsheet to collect the interest and contributions in this project.

Click here

Please write down your interest/preferences. And send me a PM.

idollar
i$

08 Jan 2016, 17:30

Status update of the order with pbcway.com

1.- The service is impressive. There is a person following the order that I can email ! It is always the same person so there is no need to explain again an again the history. It is the first time that I see such a good service.

2.- They have questioned the designed in a number of places:
  • 2a - the PADs where the controller will go were not marked as PADs in the Gerber file. The reason for this is rooted in the import process from the generic CAD tool (Deltacad) in the PBC tool (Diptrace). During the import, one can state if the import shall be done as "traces" of "pads". I used traces so our PAD was marked as trace and therefore would have been covered by the green isolation layer.
    PAD location explanation.jpg
    PAD location explanation.jpg (155.32 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
    This has been resolved in a version 0.49 that I have sent them. I separated the PAD components in a different Deltacad layer that I imported separately into Diptrace. They confirmed that this trick did the job.

2b.- the have also questioned all the PCB areas that are not connected anywhere.

I have sent this explanation (included the typos):
    PADS explanation.jpg
    PADS explanation.jpg (95.67 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
    Hello,

I know that is strange.
    The PCB is kind of tricky.

SHORT VERSION

I think that it is correct in the version 0.49. Please confirm that you will use the version 0.49.
    The PADS are isolated from the rest.
    The complete PCB shall be covered by isolation layer but for the connector that I have sent you (and I send again)

LONG VERSION

As I said, it is not a normal one. It is used to create capacitors between the rectangles on the upper and bottom layers. There are areas that are not connected. They are just sitting there, to act as capacitors.
    The PCB will be used to sense key presses of a keyboard.

In any case (attached an image that explains also), each key is a pair of two PADs on the top layer (rows) and one on the bottom (columns).

In the top layer, one (BIGGEST) of the two pads is disconnected. Isolated
    The other (SMALLER) is connected to the sensing row.

On the bottom layer, the BIGGEST pad matches the disconnected one on the top layer.

The complete PCB shall be covered with isolation but for the PADS on the connector that I have already sent you and I send again.

Hopefully this clarifies.

Please confirm that the version 0.49 will be used !!!

Cheers
I have been told that an engineer with review the new version and the comments tomorrow.

scottc

08 Jan 2016, 17:39

Very impressive service from them! I'll definitely consider them for any PCB projects of mine.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

08 Jan 2016, 18:29

Thanks for posting your explanation to their support. That actually helped me to understand how the capsense PCBs work (I've never dug into the science behind it--I just know I love their typing feel). :D

wcass

08 Jan 2016, 18:37

Yes, I was happy with the XTant boards that PCBWay printed for me. Delivery was quick too.

Sorry, I should have given you a heads-up about needing a mask layer if you create your pads in DeltaCAD. I usually create the through/surface pads in Diptrace - the mask is created automatically there.

chzel

08 Jan 2016, 19:16

Idollar you have a PM.

idollar
i$

08 Jan 2016, 20:18

chzel have told me that we miss a hole in the latest version. It got probably deleted by mistake with the latest changes. It has been tricky.

I have emailed pcbway to tell them about it.

The issue is not major: if they cannot change the order we can drill the hole manually or leave the screw out.
It will be good to have the hole in the prototype anyhow.

We will see ...

idollar
i$

08 Jan 2016, 20:46

wcass wrote: Yes, I was happy with the XTant boards that PCBWay printed for me. Delivery was quick too.

Sorry, I should have given you a heads-up about needing a mask layer if you create your pads in DeltaCAD. I usually create the through/surface pads in Diptrace - the mask is created automatically there.
No need to say sorry, you have helped a lot . Actually you somehow started this project with the xtant

idollar
i$

09 Jan 2016, 10:35

idollar wrote: chzel have told me that we miss a hole in the latest version. It got probably deleted by mistake with the latest changes. It has been tricky.

I have emailed pcbway to tell them about it.

The issue is not major: if they cannot change the order we can drill the hole manually or leave the screw out.
It will be good to have the hole in the prototype anyhow.

We will see ...
It seems that PCBway will use the version 0.50, which means that the missing hole will not be missing ;-)

idollar
i$

09 Jan 2016, 10:39

@ all the PCB prototype potential contributors:

The idea behind the call for the contributors is to cover the cost/risk of this phase. Once the PCBs are tested, the risk will not be there and therefore the "discount" will not apply.

This will not forbid anyone to order by yourself from pcbway or any other supplier ... If you choose this option, be prepared to explain what to do with the soldering masks. I am still exchanging emails with them.

idollar
i$

09 Jan 2016, 12:33

----------------
LAST Reminder Again ?
----------------

I have created the following spreadsheet to collect the interest and contributions in this project.

Click here

Please write down your interest/preferences. And send me a PM.

idollar
i$

09 Jan 2016, 14:30

These are the best members in deskthority (or at least the ones that have already contributing to the fssk test phase):

Idollar
2 - hammelgammler
1 - shreebles
1 - chzel
1 - guk

Is there any other altruist reading these lines ? :)

chzel

09 Jan 2016, 14:37

LOL guilt trip for the rest of you cheapskates!!

There are plenty of better members on DT than me at least!
And my motives are not altruistic at all! I WANT AN FSSK!

And we shouldn't forget wcass for the XTant and his insights on this project, and xwhatsit for his capsense-ninja prowess!

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

09 Jan 2016, 15:01

Too bad I don't have any ssk to mod it to FSSK haha

shreebles
Finally 60%

09 Jan 2016, 16:57

I might put one up for sale soon. However, you need a bolt modded one for the FSSK : O

idollar
i$

09 Jan 2016, 16:58

bocahgundul wrote: Too bad I don't have any ssk to mod it to FSSK haha
If this is the case, your should follow the evolution of the FEXT :)

idollar
i$

09 Jan 2016, 16:59

shreebles wrote: I might put one up for sale soon. However, you need a bolt modded one for the FSSK : O
Even better

idollar
i$

11 Jan 2016, 10:24

Status update:

Date: 11 January 2016 at 08:39:05 GMT+1

Hi dear,

Sorry for the late reply.

I've sent version 0.51 to our engineer and mentioned the pads in the rectangle.

I think it is ok now.

Thank you for your efforts!
Last edited by idollar on 11 Jan 2016, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

neverused

11 Jan 2016, 10:40

Compgeke wrote:I've honestly got no idea on who to use for producing anything, whether stickers or aluminum badges. From a quick web search finding people to do custom size white labels is pretty easy, however not finding much on clear custom size labels. Problem with white would be it'd look odd against the otherwise beige casing.

I can do a test to see if I can do a run of my own using clear address labels. I'm thinking print then laser cut the custom shape out would work. I'll need to find out if I can use a laser cutter (know a place with one I was able to use before) and if so how well they stick to the case and how bad they look. I also have a new package of Avery 5660 labels so doing tests wouldn't cost anything.

As for alumimium, I have no idea where I'd start on that. I can't imagine it'd be cheap being as they aren't a rectangle and printing would be even more expensive, unless a batch was just cut then hand toner transferred (not exactly practical for batches). Does anyone have experience with custom metal badges?
This thread may be of interest:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77027.0

idollar
i$

12 Jan 2016, 12:32

Status update:
status.jpg
status.jpg (48.26 KiB) Viewed 6644 times

idollar
i$

14 Jan 2016, 10:15

Status update: