Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2015, 13:22

While white goes with everything!

zslane

20 Nov 2015, 21:32

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion as well. As much as I'd like to see beige/brown sets, without a ready supply of modern cases in beige, there isn't much point in pushing for them.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2015, 21:47

For what it's worth, everything also goes with a black keyboard. Including white alphas!

zslane

20 Nov 2015, 23:23

Such intense contrast would not be my first choice. But as an experiment in novelty, I could be okay with it for about a week.

niomosy

21 Nov 2015, 02:27

There you go. We just need a run of beige cases and you're set.

vsev

16 Jan 2016, 10:55

I knew there was some post about hipro pbt !
Sorry for digging out(dated) matt3o ><

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jan 2016, 12:44

no worries, it's still in my schedule. I just have to complete the whitefox first.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Jan 2016, 13:45

matt3o wrote: no worries, it's still in my schedule. I just have to complete the whitefox first.
I think I'm far to late for the party but do you have all the beam spring key caps that you need from Mu? I'm happy to loan some from the IBM 51xx line, if you need them.

stuplarosa
AltGr

22 Jan 2016, 17:42

Is it possible to do something like this? Not quite spherical... elliptical???
elliptical.jpg
elliptical.jpg (844.37 KiB) Viewed 7341 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jan 2016, 17:49

snuci wrote: I think I'm far to late for the party but do you have all the beam spring key caps that you need from Mu? I'm happy to loan some from the IBM 51xx line, if you need them.
we should be fine, but thanks!
stuplarosa wrote: Is it possible to do something like this? Not quite spherical... elliptical???
well, anything is possible, but I wouldn't go as far...

romevi

22 Jan 2016, 20:03

stuplarosa wrote: Is it possible to do something like this? Not quite spherical... elliptical???
elliptical.jpg
What is that? A typewriter cap?

stuplarosa
AltGr

22 Jan 2016, 20:35

romevi wrote:
The attachment elliptical.jpg is no longer available
What is that? A typewriter cap?
Yes. From a beautiful old Adler
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (94.79 KiB) Viewed 7367 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Feb 2016, 11:09

I'm now 24/7 on this project. Unfortunately the first round of 3d models didn't come out as well as expected. I had to send the vintage keycaps back to Murium and I'm in need of more samples.

Does anyone have some surplus? I'm willing to buy them.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Feb 2016, 14:02

Matt3o,

You have access to borrow caps from any of my keyboards, if you like. I know you want beamspring, and I can do that, but you might want to look over my Hipro vs 10 Old-School Keyboards thread or maybe consider my vintage Cherry that was not in the first thread line-up.

There are some options there. If it must be beam spring, perhaps my Displaywriter will do?

One more thing... I may have access to a 3d scanner as I work in higher education and we have various programs that have special equipment including 3d printers, CNC equipment, etc. If you can PM me some specs on what format you need, I can see if we have something that will do it.

Note: I did find something in our course catalog about "white light 3D scanning technology". I don't know what that is but we must have one of them.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Feb 2016, 15:21

When I asked around about 3D scanning key caps, the answer I got was, why not just draw up new ones? That may end up being faster and easier.

Engicoder

14 Feb 2016, 15:28

I think the consensus on 3D scanning at this point is that, for simple shapes, you will spend more time cleaning up the scan than it would take to build one from scratch.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Feb 2016, 15:29

we can't interfere with the manufacturers' process. Each one works differently and with different hardware, if we want the best result we have to let them do their thing following their methodology. That unfortunately it's not what we did the first time.

Muirium
µ

14 Feb 2016, 15:54

Half of my Beamspring caps are now in Seebart's hands (on his 3276 of course). I do still have the blue and grey punchcard machine set and some spare deep dish tripleshot J keys. My other full keyboard is still in America. Didn't have enough luggage to haul it this time either!

Can you describe the process you mentioned?

mtl

14 Feb 2016, 15:58

Could you start with these and carve out the stems?

Muirium
µ

14 Feb 2016, 16:01

Nah. SA sucks compared to Beamspring. It's far too flat. And it's currently in the process of being GBed to death.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Feb 2016, 16:11

Muirium wrote: Can you describe the process you mentioned?
the problem is that we don't know, because we don't have a fixed manufacturer yet. One day I'll talk about how manufacturing in China works in details, but basically you have to go through a "facilitator" because the actual factories don't even know what they are capable of. They just have the machines and the man power. So you have to test various options and each manufacturer works differently... quite a mess my friend.

Muirium
µ

14 Feb 2016, 16:22

Indeed, I expect so.

How did it go with your famous Topre mount PBT spacebars?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Feb 2016, 16:35

Muirium wrote: Indeed, I expect so.

How did it go with your famous Topre mount PBT spacebars?
that was a bit different because we had direct contact with the manufacturer, we were referenced directly to them by a previous customer, but it's pretty rare.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Feb 2016, 17:07

matt3o wrote:
Muirium wrote: Can you describe the process you mentioned?
the problem is that we don't know, because we don't have a fixed manufacturer yet. One day I'll talk about how manufacturing in China works in details, but basically you have to go through a "facilitator" because the actual factories don't even know what they are capable of. They just have the machines and the man power. So you have to test various options and each manufacturer works differently... quite a mess my friend.
This is very interesting and explains quite a bit. Would love to hear more.

Vizir

14 Feb 2016, 18:16

matt3o wrote:I'm now 24/7 on this project. Unfortunately the first round of 3d models didn't come out as well as expected. I had to send the vintage keycaps back to Murium and I'm in need of more samples.

I know a guy who refurbs IBM Selectric typewriters and I know he has some surplus keys lying around. The big issue is that he is located in Arkansas, so shipping to Europe might be time consuming.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Feb 2016, 20:43

Vizir wrote:
matt3o wrote:I'm now 24/7 on this project. Unfortunately the first round of 3d models didn't come out as well as expected. I had to send the vintage keycaps back to Murium and I'm in need of more samples.

I know a guy who refurbs IBM Selectric typewriters and I know he has some surplus keys lying around. The big issue is that he is located in Arkansas, so shipping to Europe might be time consuming.
I have proxies in US

Vizir

14 Feb 2016, 22:01

matt3o wrote:
Vizir wrote:

I have proxies in US
Do you want his info?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Feb 2016, 18:36

There is a Selectric on Craigslist here in Austin for $25. I already have one but this one is red! :evil:

I believe the TechShop locations in either San Francisco or San Jose have a NextEngine 3D laser scanner capable of 0.13mm (0.005 inch) resolution. http://www.nextengine.com/products/scan ... s/accurate. I am working to confirm this.

I wonder if someone in the Bay Area or San Jose could use one of these to get scans. Or maybe I can use it the next time I come visit. I don't know anyone with one of these here and I'm not enough of a high roller to buy my own ($3000 list price).

stuplarosa
AltGr

15 Feb 2016, 20:45

matt3o wrote: I'm now 24/7 on this project. Unfortunately the first round of 3d models didn't come out as well as expected. I had to send the vintage keycaps back to Murium and I'm in need of more samples.

I can send you the Adler keys ;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 May 2016, 13:19

just wanted to revive this because we are finally getting close to the final 3D models. I will post some pictures in the coming days.

After that we will proceed with 3d printed prototypes (1-2 weeks), then molded prototypes (1 month) and finally production.

geez... it takes time!

Return to “Workshop”