Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

SL89

03 Sep 2016, 14:42

slightly off topic but whatever happened to rsbseb and his project?

zabuza1997

08 Sep 2016, 06:00

Bump!!!

zabuza1997

Bump!!!

zabuza1997

Bump!!!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

08 Sep 2016, 06:06

SL89 wrote:slightly off topic but whatever happened to rsbseb and his project?
Oh, man. I got so excited when he said he was going to make sphericals for buckling spring. Oh what could have been.

SL89

08 Sep 2016, 14:55

I just hope he's ok, I remember he had a lot going on irl.

Orpheo

12 Sep 2016, 16:52

I am really excited about this project!
I make my voice heard for French ISO AZERTY user out there who are crying for this set!
Also we need this M3 profil for Ergodox ISO FR user with modifier in horizontal 1.5u with modifiers printing, 1.5u in vertical configurations, and also vertical 2u.
Make it happen, I am sure a lot of french user will adopt this one and only solution for custom PBT keycaps in ISO FR if it's a reality!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Sep 2016, 17:01

When was the last time an AZERTY kit made MOQ?

Where do AZERTY folks get their custom keycaps?

Ichigo87

12 Sep 2016, 18:40

Wodan wrote: When was the last time an AZERTY kit made MOQ?

Where do AZERTY folks get their custom keycaps?
The last ones, if I remember correctly are Granite thanks to Matt3o and R5 thanks to 7bit.

With R5, I had to buy 9 sets to offer more chance to the set. I sold them easily in a few weeks without price drop.

I think that French people are still scared to preorder stuff but there is a real request. Everyday there is a new post on an other french forum to ask for PBT Azerty keycaps.

The community grows every month but older french typist usually advice people to use Qwerty instead of Azerty, not only for the speed and comfort arguement but also for the keycaps. I can understand the point but I love keeping our difference with French Azerty, and I am good to pay a little more or take some financial risk when there is great GB.

Orpheo

12 Sep 2016, 18:57

I dont even know an Azerty made it to MOQ... I saw some international child sets grouping most ISO language but no FR! And the only one that was a FR kit didn't made MOQ (chocolatier or navy set I believe).
But I can assure you that they are out there, just that FR GB visibility is so low that French enthusiasts don't find it. If option is created for M3 profile set, please include it in an international child set so that every ISO users French included can meet MOQ.

French user don't have custom keycaps!

Bring some GB love pour L'Amour de Dieu!

zslane

12 Sep 2016, 19:22

We don't even know what the MOQ thresholds will be for this new vendor. Matt3o is usually quite accomodating of international and alternate layout requests, but it always comes down to economic feasibility. I wouldn't be surprised if the first set off the production line is a modest one, and not nearly as extravagant (in terms of options) as, say, Granite. And then if that is a success, something more ambitious would be proposed for the next set.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Sep 2016, 19:34

The latest Granite round did not include FR any more.

It's really a shame there's hardly any overlap with other locales.

Offering FR as a kit sounds great, would be interesting to see how that performs.
So far, everyone but GMK had quite reasonable MOQs ;)

zslane

12 Sep 2016, 19:46

And only the first round offered Cyrillic. The oddball kits were scattered around the various rounds of Granite, but at least FR was offered at some point. Like all keycap group buys, you have to get in on them when they happen or be prepared to endlessly hunt for what you want in the classifieds after the fact.

Kouni

12 Sep 2016, 20:08

Another one for ISO FR here, too few of those sets lying around.

zslane

24 Sep 2016, 22:50

So what's the status of this?

Are the key molds being made yet? If not, what is the hold up? Is it purely a financial obstacle (i.e., our mystery vendor does not want to dedicate any meaningful resources to it yet)?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Sep 2016, 23:49

we are setting up the jig to make nice and sharp dye-sub legends :) slowly but progressing.

lot_lizard

24 Sep 2016, 23:52

For what it is worth on the laser engraving front, I just printed my jig this afternoon. It appears to work well. I am not sure your dimensions, but mine is a 10x10 keys (100 per swatch). If it helps, I would be happy to share my plans (19.05mm cap dimensions)

zslane

25 Sep 2016, 02:35

matt3o wrote: we are setting up the jig to make nice and sharp dye-sub legends :) slowly but progressing.
When do you plan to begin discussing the first set design?

zslane

25 Sep 2016, 18:57

Now that SP is potentially getting into the hi-profile dyesub PBT keycap market, it will be interesting to see who will be first out with a fully sculpted colorway I would want to purchase, SP or Matt3o.

The odds would seem to favor SP since they have already made and shipped a set, but it was all white and uniform row3. A promising, if somewhat uninspired, first step. On the other hand, Matt3o has the distinct advantage of excellent design sense, and the chances are good I'd like his very first effort out of the gate. Unfortunately, M3 is still stuck in the R&D phase, and has an unknowable timetable.

I think if there was a Las Vegas (betting) book on this race, the odds favorite would have to be SP since they have a proven track record of producing and shipping product, even if their future plans for this particular keycap format are entirely uncertain and unpredictable.

face

25 Sep 2016, 19:20

I don't see why anyone should buy row 3 only. That's basically DSA with a smaller surface to touch for the fingers, right? Beside from the looks...

zabuza1997

04 Oct 2016, 00:43

Bump!

niomosy

04 Oct 2016, 02:39

R3 only was an easier and more const-effective solution for SP to be able to offer dyesub SA sets. I can understand it from a business perspective. Hopefully they can expand on that with time as I'd like to see sculptured SA PBT dyesub sets out of them.

zabuza1997

09 Oct 2016, 02:14

Bump!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Oct 2016, 14:55

we had the stepped caps lock designed as well as a couple of missing keys. Now we've got quite a complete set of keycaps. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll be able to have the ISO enter for this first batch. We'll try.

zabuza1997

10 Oct 2016, 18:37

matt3o wrote: we had the stepped caps lock designed as well as a couple of missing keys. Now we've got quite a complete set of keycaps. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll be able to have the ISO enter for this first batch. We'll try.
I have a thirst of the pics of the caps :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Oct 2016, 18:42

matt3o wrote: we had the stepped caps lock designed as well as a couple of missing keys. Now we've got quite a complete set of keycaps. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll be able to have the ISO enter for this first batch. We'll try.
Something inside me just broke. Are you offering DCS ISO enter instead ? ;)
How much for ISO enter? :)

Laser
emacs -nw

10 Nov 2016, 20:56

When? How much? BTW I propose a name for the 1st theme (?): "pted" :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Nov 2016, 10:27

I should get more prototypes soon. This is taking forever

zslane

11 Nov 2016, 18:59

There is clearly a lack of motivation/priority somewhere in the development chain, and I don't think it is Matt3o...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Nov 2016, 22:07

The sooner these come into production, the sooner they can be a default on a keyboard that I like. ;-)

Return to “Workshop”