Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

zslane

17 Apr 2017, 20:03

I'm kinda bummed there are no R3 arrow keys. I like to put arrows on R2/R3 on 60% boards where key clusters like IJKL or PL;' serve as arrow keys with the FN key held down.

DarKou

17 Apr 2017, 20:44

A little question:

Why no ANSI enter in the Cyrillic set? :(

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Apr 2017, 22:34

I have a question regarding the colors, which look very nice and 'muted' (or dirty with some black color added to CMY and RGB). I like that, but how will it be in reality? Especially the Triumph Adler green? I remember in the GMK group buy it was funny to see the different pictures of the green or teal color, maybe because of being out of color space of various sensors. But will it be in general like in the renders, or like the original TA set, or from the newer GMK set?

Of course this is not that important because basically everything goes with white and beige caps... But just to know a little bit more about the final plastic colors - if I have not overseen it here when it was already discussed.

When I got the GMK caps, it was really hard for me to reproduce the teal color, and looking at all other pics from other users one can see the wide range of green color tones.

zslane

17 Apr 2017, 22:41

It looks to me like the BLUE mods for /dev/tty are a little lighter and slightly less saturated than the teal mods from the TA set. Roughly the same hue though.

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Apr 2017, 22:55

Yes, on the renders everything looks very good, like more desaturated and not so clean, but will it be like that or is it just how the design template looks like?

zslane

17 Apr 2017, 23:00

Well, as you've noted, it can be difficult to tell from renders and photos because of the differences in monitor calibration, colorspace conversions, the lighting environment of photographs (which don't apply in this case because there is nothing to photograph yet), and the fact that with CG renders an approximate RGB value has to be chosen since we never get access to a properly measured RGB value from the manufacturer.

I honestly think you will only know for sure once you get to see them, in the flesh (plastic?), with your own eyes.

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Apr 2017, 23:15

I am not talking about calibration here, re-read my question. I am just curious what the plan is - like the renders or straight Cyan or Magenta or P485C instead of P485U for example (red).
Last edited by Madhias on 17 Apr 2017, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

nnc-tlb

17 Apr 2017, 23:23

how heavy are those keycaps vs normal non sculpted thin cheap sets ?
do I need to worry about switch selection for my future keyboard ?

background story:
I'm still new to the mechanical keyboard party/hype, although using mechanical keyboards on and off for 31-32 years.
I'm currently on a Steelseries 6G v2 w/ MX Black (which I don't like that much) as main keyboard.
I like the Matias Quiet Click from my KBP V60.
I had an ErgoDox, but I prefer a full 104/105 form factor, so I sold it.

But now I also want pretty and sculpted spherical keycaps like 30 years back, but this is not gonna happen for ALPS-stem (at least not for now).

I plan to buy a new keyboard for this new Hi-Profile set.

So which MX switch is close to this Matias Quiet Clicks and are not overloaded by this heavier keycaps ?

MX brown - to light ?
MX clear - to heavy ?
Gateron brown - rumors: currently better quality as cherry ?
Purple Zealio ?

(remark: I can not go with Clicky Switches, I tried some MX Blues and got headaches everyday.)

Phenix
-p

17 Apr 2017, 23:46

I like stock mx clears.

@matt3o

Is the next round going to offer the same kits as this round, but maybe add a few kits more? (so comparable to Granite)?

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Apr 2017, 23:54

What is really funny is that the Cyrillic set can't be (yet?) shipped to Russia :)

tobsn

18 Apr 2017, 00:13

matt3o wrote: I still miss ergodox, international and novelty keys.
Is the ergodox kit coming to massdrop or is whats currently on there final?

zslane

18 Apr 2017, 00:18

The lack of 1.5u keycaps with the correct profile prevents this set from having proper ErgoDox support. That will have to wait for a future run after the necessary molds have been made.

ohaimark
Kingpin

18 Apr 2017, 02:57

I really like the aesthetic, but I can't justify the purchase due to the composition of my collection. I only have two MX mount keyboards (!). I hope you sell tons of these -- they're beautiful.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

18 Apr 2017, 03:08

ohaimark wrote:I really like the aesthetic, but I can't justify the purchase due to the composition of my collection. I only have two MX mount keyboards (!). I hope you sell tons of these -- they're beautiful.
I only have two MX keyboards as well, but one of them is getting a set of /dev/tty triumph. I'm justifying it to myself by selling off a number of other, lesser MX key cap sets I have collected over the years.

sgtpopwell

18 Apr 2017, 07:22

All in! Can't wait for this one, it's gorgeous.

FearsomeCubedWarrior

18 Apr 2017, 08:36

ohaimark wrote: I really like the aesthetic, but I can't justify the purchase due to the composition of my collection. I only have two MX mount keyboards (!). I hope you sell tons of these -- they're beautiful.
You should buy yourself more! one for work, one for laptop, one for battlestation gaming, one for typing.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Apr 2017, 08:36

zslane wrote: So what is the procedure for proposing a custom set using this family? Do we go through you, matt3o? Do you have total approval authority over all such proposals?
you either contact me or the people responsible of the keyboard community on Massdrop.
Vizir wrote: are we going to see other colors with this profile? will you let others use this profile for their keysets, eg. carbon?
yes, but remember it's dye sublimated: no white/light text.
zslane wrote: I'm kinda bummed there are no R3 arrow keys. I like to put arrows on R2/R3 on 60% boards where key clusters like IJKL or PL;' serve as arrow keys with the FN key held down.
remember that our R3 is not flat (if that is what you are after)
DarKou wrote: A little question:

Oversight (fixed)
Madhias wrote: I have a question regarding the colors, which look very nice and 'muted' (or dirty with some black color added to CMY and RGB). I like that, but how will it be in reality? Especially the Triumph Adler green? I remember in the GMK group buy it was funny to see the different pictures of the green or teal color, maybe because of being out of color space of various sensors. But will it be in general like in the renders, or like the original TA set, or from the newer GMK set?
I start to believe that I picked the wrong name for the "teal" mods. It was just a tribute to the TA colorway, but the green/blue needs to be lighter to better serve our black sublimated legends. So do not expect a TA green, it will be much muted and lighter.
nnc-tlb wrote: how heavy are those keycaps vs normal non sculpted thin cheap sets ?
do I need to worry about switch selection for my future keyboard ?
I don't have a final value at the moment. I'm still waiting for the pre production samples. The walls are pretty thick, I believe they will be slightly lighter than the SA counterparts (being SA doubleshot).
Phenix wrote: Is the next round going to offer the same kits as this round, but maybe add a few kits more? (so comparable to Granite)?
IF there will be a new round (I bet there will be, but of course it not 100% certain) we will possibly have more spacebars and all 1.5u molds. The kits will vary a little for sure and probably we will drop Cyrillic and put something else. BUT Massdrop might want to run a 1.5-drop before making updates.
Madhias wrote: What is really funny is that the Cyrillic set can't be (yet?) shipped to Russia :)
yeah, that is funky.
tobsn wrote:
matt3o wrote: I still miss ergodox, international and novelty keys.
Is the ergodox kit coming to massdrop or is whats currently on there final?
Unfortunately we miss some keys for ergodox, I could have released it with R5 1.5u, but I don't like half-finished things, I preferred to postpone the ergodox to better times.

richard912

18 Apr 2017, 08:40

Is R0 and R1 profile the same? There is a R1 1u "DEL" in the Novelties kit but I don't relish the idea of getting into that kit all for the sake of one "DEL" key though. Could you consider adding a R0 (or R1) 1u "DEL" key to the Extra Mod kit?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Apr 2017, 08:49

richard912 wrote: Is R0 and R1 profile the same? There is a R1 1u "DEL" in the Novelties kit but I don't relish the idea of getting into that kit all for the sake of one "DEL" key though. Could you consider adding a R0 (or R1) 1u "DEL" key to the Extra Mod kit?
R0 and R1 are not the same. R0 DEL is in novelties.

richard912

18 Apr 2017, 09:17

matt3o wrote:
richard912 wrote: Is R0 and R1 profile the same? There is a R1 1u "DEL" in the Novelties kit but I don't relish the idea of getting into that kit all for the sake of one "DEL" key though. Could you consider adding a R0 (or R1) 1u "DEL" key to the Extra Mod kit?
R0 and R1 are not the same. R0 DEL is in novelties.
Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like it will just be a TKL build for me.

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Apr 2017, 09:43

matt3o wrote:
Madhias wrote: I have a question regarding the colors, which look very nice and 'muted' (or dirty with some black color added to CMY and RGB). I like that, but how will it be in reality? Especially the Triumph Adler green? I remember in the GMK group buy it was funny to see the different pictures of the green or teal color, maybe because of being out of color space of various sensors. But will it be in general like in the renders, or like the original TA set, or from the newer GMK set?
I start to believe that I picked the wrong name for the "teal" mods. It was just a tribute to the TA colorway, but the green/blue needs to be lighter to better serve our black sublimated legends. So do not expect a TA green, it will be much muted and lighter.
That is great to know, then it will be a perfect fit for the white/beige other caps! The TA colorway was a little bit too blueish for my taste.
matt3o wrote:
Madhias wrote: What is really funny is that the Cyrillic set can't be (yet?) shipped to Russia :)
yeah, that is funky.
There will be for sure a community solution like a proxy for example :) But I really had to smile when I read the comments from Russian users.

Sythe

18 Apr 2017, 11:46

This set is so nice, so good job on that Matt3o + everyone else who has contributed.

So I'm looking at the possibility of putting base + RGB/CMY kit for my 60% but its missing caps lock and tab. I don't like the idea of having to spend $40-50 on 2 keys and it seems a little odd to have a caps/tab in beige/triumph when the rest of the mods are RGB/CMY.

My other option would be to go for a Whitefox set up, but I don't think that will look as good without getting colourful arrow cluster, but then I would be having to go base + mods + extra mods(just for R2/3 Pg up/dn) + RGB/CMY + novelties, but I think that it might be too much, lol. So I'm hoping I can just fill out a 60% with base + RGB/CMY.

@Matt3o: I don't know if anything can be done/adjusted, but I would really hope that a caps lock + tab could be added to the RGB/CMY set?

Loligagger

18 Apr 2017, 12:00

Would the second round have the same teal color available? Would like to get in on this round but no ergodox set means I'd end up mixing profiles with the SA set I have now.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Apr 2017, 12:04

Sythe wrote: @Matt3o: I don't know if anything can be done/adjusted, but I would really hope that a caps lock + tab could be added to the RGB/CMY set?
the RGB/CMY kits are the most expensive to produce and we did this madness of offering 2 bottom row options. We already lowered the cost to the minimum to make the kits appealing and I don't think we can add any more key. We will see at the very end based on the success of the set, which is indeed already successful, but still not enough considering this is the first batch of a new profile.
Loligagger wrote: Would the second round have the same teal color available? Would like to get in on this round but no ergodox set means I'd end up mixing profiles with the SA set I have now.
I really don't know, sorry. I would say, yes, a teal version will still be available, but can't really be sure.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Apr 2017, 12:36

It's a bit late for this round but looking at the kits a little closer and working on my order for these cuties, I realized that the mod kits usually have keys for 2-3 alphanumerics kits if it wasn't for the "cornerstone keycaps" like TAB and Backspace.

It's just ... i'm looking into how many alphanumerics kits I can get to fill at least a 60% with the required mods ... and it seems I can't really go beyond 1:1 even though many mod kits include so many "redundant" (except for the row profile) keys and options.

DarKou

18 Apr 2017, 13:00

matt3o wrote:
DarKou wrote: A little question:

Oversight (fixed)

Thank you!

Sythe

18 Apr 2017, 13:05

matt3o wrote:
Sythe wrote: @Matt3o: I don't know if anything can be done/adjusted, but I would really hope that a caps lock + tab could be added to the RGB/CMY set?
the RGB/CMY kits are the most expensive to produce and we did this madness of offering 2 bottom row options. We already lowered the cost to the minimum to make the kits appealing and I don't think we can add any more key. We will see at the very end based on the success of the set, which is indeed already successful, but still not enough considering this is the first batch of a new profile.
Fair enough. I will have to think about what I want to get from the drop, but I don't want to go to crazy on what I spend, lol.

Will have to cross my fingers that you will be able to add the other 2 keys! :D

kokokoy

18 Apr 2017, 16:18

Is there actually no R5 numpad return? I'm in for the angled bottom but still wanted to know if that's actually not included.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Apr 2017, 16:29

kokokoy wrote: Is there actually no R5 numpad return? I'm in for the angled bottom but still wanted to know if that's actually not included.
what do you mean by R5 return?

kokokoy

18 Apr 2017, 16:40

matt3o wrote:
kokokoy wrote: Is there actually no R5 numpad return? I'm in for the angled bottom but still wanted to know if that's actually not included.
what do you mean by R5 return?
A matching return key for the R5 keys here:
IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3525.JPG (29.51 KiB) Viewed 5083 times

Return to “Workshop”