Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

Laser
emacs -nw

25 Feb 2018, 00:44

Make sure you *can* change the spacebar with an MX one (I don't have a FC660C), I'm not sure that's possible.

Luna
Alt255

25 Feb 2018, 01:09

Laser wrote: Make sure you *can* change the spacebar with an MX one (I don't have a FC660C), I'm not sure that's possible.
Indeed, I just checked and the stabs aren’t cherry compatible.I wonder how hard it is to put Costar or Cherry stabs in and if it’s obvious or not.

But maybe the stabs of a NovaTouch would simply work like the sliders work in a Topre or Leopold?

But otherwise these caps should work on NovaTouch sliders? Not too deep or something?

Phenix
-p

25 Feb 2018, 10:05

matt3o wrote:
Phenix wrote:
matt3o wrote:Maybe Sindarin. Definitely not Cyrillic anymore.
Is there hope that Sindarin kits will be added to the still running massdrop?
yes
You made my day!! Now I have to join..

ShivaYash

25 Feb 2018, 18:51

I really want to join this drop. I’d like the keys for a FC660M. Any advice on the best kit(s) I should order would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazian

25 Feb 2018, 19:16

ShivaYash wrote: I really want to join this drop. I’d like the keys for a FC660M. Any advice on the best kit(s) I should order would be much appreciated.
Base kit, regular mods, and extra mods - that last one will cover you for the right shift and left Win keys, which are the only two unusual sizes.

You might get into trouble if it's an old FC660M with non-standard space bar stabilizer placement. If the label on the underside looks like this, you're okay.

ShivaYash

25 Feb 2018, 19:18

Mazian wrote:
ShivaYash wrote: I really want to join this drop. I’d like the keys for a FC660M. Any advice on the best kit(s) I should order would be much appreciated.
Base kit, regular mods, and extra mods - that last one will cover you for the right shift and left Win keys, which are the only two unusual sizes.

You might get into trouble if it's an old FC660M with non-standard space bar stabilizer placement. If the label on the underside looks like this, you're okay.
Thanks! It has MX greens so isn’t that old. I’ll double check the label.

cijanzen

25 Feb 2018, 21:07

Any chance that some of the modifier kits will be recombined in this drop? Matteo, I saw that you had posted on the Tokyo drop about some of those thoughts seeing as two different extension kits would need to be purchased to fit this.

Also, Triumph or beige mods?

ShivaYash

01 Mar 2018, 15:41

ShivaYash wrote:
Mazian wrote:

Thanks! It has MX greens so isn’t that old. I’ll double check the label.

My label. Image

What do you think?

consolation

02 Mar 2018, 06:26

matt3o wrote:
consolation wrote: Matt3o, if anybody asks what the triumph name refers to, just erase all mention of typewriters from your blog and say it's all about mother Russia and its aviators.

I never said it was inspired by a keyboard, that's all on you :) :P

matt3o, you desperately need to add a Triumph cyrillic set (with qwerty subs?)

let me just leave this picture of a Mil V12 (largest heli ever flown.)
Ми-12.JPG
Ми-12.JPG (74.87 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Doesn't that colourway look mighty familiar...

Surely, with weeks to go, it's not too late to convince MD to add it to the current drop! :wink: and maybe a baby set of ~4 novelties (2x1 2x1.25 or similar) ... Couple red stars on the mods and Mil + Mig logos on 1u and you will be a hero this drop needs.

Rowethren

04 Mar 2018, 18:54

I don't suppose you could tell me if the beige novelty kit WASD is the same colour as the RGB kit return key? If it is it would be really great to get the numpad return in the same colour added to the RGB set otherwise I will end up with a missing return key :(

Mazian

04 Mar 2018, 19:00

ShivaYash wrote: My label.
Spoiler:
What do you think?
You might be in trouble - not sure if this is correct in all cases, but it's my understanding that the China-manufactured FC660Ms have unusual spacing, and the Taiwan-manufactured boards have normal spacing.

Easy to verify: pull off your space bar and measure the distance between the centerlines of the mounts. If it's 50 mm, it's normal; if it's 42.5 mm, other space bars won't fit. Maybe you could take a new space bar, cut off the mounts, and epoxy them back into place at the right positions? I can see how you'd go about it, but I'd want to buy a spare space bar or two if I was going to try it!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Mar 2018, 15:23

Rowethren wrote: I don't suppose you could tell me if the beige novelty kit WASD is the same colour as the RGB kit return key? If it is it would be really great to get the numpad return in the same colour added to the RGB set otherwise I will end up with a missing return key :(
yes they are the same. I'm afraid we can't add more keys to the RGB kits though

Rowethren

05 Mar 2018, 15:27

matt3o wrote:
Rowethren wrote: I don't suppose you could tell me if the beige novelty kit WASD is the same colour as the RGB kit return key? If it is it would be really great to get the numpad return in the same colour added to the RGB set otherwise I will end up with a missing return key :(
yes they are the same. I'm afraid we can't add more keys to the RGB kits though
Ah that is a shame, any idea how I could get that key? The red is a bit too bright.

Laser
emacs -nw

05 Mar 2018, 22:10

Not a fan myself, but - the Elven Kit was added to MD :)

Although, it does look cool and may become actually the cheapest way to cover a TKL!

Luna
Alt255

05 Mar 2018, 22:18

Laser wrote: Not a fan myself, but - the Elven Kit was added to MD :)

Although, it does look cool and may become actually the cheapest way to cover a TKL!
WTF?
I mean ... WTF?

consolation

06 Mar 2018, 02:00

matt3o wrote: ...
matt3o, is there any chance of triumph coloured Alphas (with or without cyrillics..) ? That kit would get pounced on, imho. Especially if you added a couple of the 1u star keys from the novelty kit, just make them solid, and red if possible - which I'm guessing isn't with triumph.

I know we had cyrillics in the last drop, but I honestly think if you went dual legend with them, the uptake would be enormous.

I promise, last time I'm bugging you about it. :oops:

seaworthy

10 Mar 2018, 20:24

Damn you, Matteo. I am actually sad when I use my other keyboards with previously perfectly fine keycaps.

The cupping builds my key striking confidence so much, it’s almost a little intimidating to type on a profile with minimal surface structure such as XDA…again, a profile I really liked before. I still like it; it’s just I would rather be using MT3 due to added comfort and confidence.

I appreciate variety. I don’t want to become a Matteo disciple. Yet, I find myself avoiding MT3-less keyboards.

Yes, I get the easy solution…buy more sets. But who among us has fewer than five boards in their rotation (probably the minority).

You are a dirty bastard genius designer. Thank you for creating this angst. :D

Phenix
-p

11 Mar 2018, 00:00

@matt3o

Thanks a ton for adding the Elvish kit!!! Love it, ordering it for sure.
Any chance you can add the option for Ortho Elvish mods?
(And in general, will the current drop feature all kits in Elvish soon?)

hansichen

11 Mar 2018, 00:02

The Elven kit is pretty cool, the only thing that's missing is the iso split left shift key, the set includes the 1,25u shift but not the 1u key

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Mar 2018, 11:20

hansichen wrote: The Elven kit is pretty cool, the only thing that's missing is the iso split left shift key, the set includes the 1,25u shift but not the 1u key
there is a R4 1u key (it's dark gray)

hansichen

11 Mar 2018, 11:22

Oh, I thought that's the FN key for split shift builds

Phenix
-p

11 Mar 2018, 13:14

Is Elvish Ortho feasible to hope for in this drop?
Any chance you could change the
|\ key to a Elvish rune-Symbol?

To me it kinda breaks the design..

caligo

11 Mar 2018, 15:05

Phenix wrote: Is Elvish Ortho feasible to hope for in this drop?
Any chance you could change the
|\ key to a Elvish rune-Symbol?

To me it kinda breaks the design..
Not only that, but also somewhat defeats the purpose of having an 'otaku' style kit. In my opinion, if one want's a set for touch-typing and good looks all the keys ought to be novelty ones so that they can be mapped to whatever one feels like. For example, it might make sense to map the '|\' key to Delete on a 60 % ANSI board. But in its current state, the Elven kit doesn't really accomodate those kinds of solutions – it's an 'otaku' style kit save for one key.

The set also covers a standard ISO keyboard except for, again, one key. That is, unless one settles for using a beige key in place of what would be '|\' on an UK keyboard (the one to the right of the short left Shift key). And I know that matt3o prefers it that way for one reason or another, but different people have different preferences. I like my mods to be mods and my alphas to be alphas, thank you very much – if it's an alpha key it ought to be white. :-)

The Elven kit is really close to being the perfect kit for ISO users on a budget, being about $35 cheaper than going with the base + mods + international kits. But these slight inconsistencies makes me quite hesitant.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Mar 2018, 17:21

The \| symbols are styled like an elven rune (you can't quite see it from the renders), that being said they are wrong because they don't follow Dan Smith's standard so I had to replace them anyway.

Other keys had to be updated but MassDrop takes forever to replace the pictures.

caligo

11 Mar 2018, 19:11

matt3o wrote: The \| symbols are styled like an elven rune (you can't quite see it from the renders), that being said they are wrong because they don't follow Dan Smith's standard so I had to replace them anyway.

Other keys had to be updated but MassDrop takes forever to replace the pictures.
That's good to hear. Well, maybe not the fact that MassDrop are dragging their feet. But it's nice to know that things have been fixed.

Phenix
-p

11 Mar 2018, 23:22

indeed great to hear!

Phenix
-p

21 Mar 2018, 14:54

Did I got it right that „special“. MT3 Design like Cyrillic and Elvish are limited meaning there is no chance to be reproduced?

Based on this info I have to decide if/how many backup Sindarin I want to order..

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Mar 2018, 20:28

yeah it will be very unlikely to see more of them

Luna
Alt255

21 Mar 2018, 20:48

Damn, I’m already in for $585.
And I don’t want to decrease my order, I’m worried nothing as nice as this and the 7bit Honeywell caps in the higher profiles will come out for a long time. I don’t like most of the colors of keysets I see and I see little stuff coming out in higher profiles. And these are PBT dyesub, my preference.
Ah well, swallow the pill I guess.

Phenix
-p

21 Mar 2018, 21:17

Luna wrote:Damn, I’m already in for $585.
And I don’t want to decrease my order, I’m worried nothing as nice as this and the 7bit Honeywell caps in the higher profiles will come out for a long time. I don’t like most of the colors of keysets I see and I see little stuff coming out in higher profiles. And these are PBT dyesub, my preference.
Ah well, swallow the pill I guess.
what did you got, beige or triumph or both?

I will likely stick with some Sindarin and some mods for it as I am sure I most of the kits will be there in future runs..

Return to “Workshop”