SCM Profile

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 17:24

as in more than two? :D

vinnycordeiro

05 Jun 2015, 17:27

Modern tripleshot (or maybe more) keycaps?
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg (342.53 KiB) Viewed 5416 times

SL89

05 Jun 2015, 17:36

How about double shot with front printed legends.

@Muirium that J looks like it could hold a thimbles worth of liquid in it. How does it feel to type on.

tactica

05 Jun 2015, 17:48

@rsbseb Do you intend to support all ISO layouts?

SL89

05 Jun 2015, 17:51

This is a very flexible project, from what I've gathered. I think accommodations can be made for pretty much anything.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 17:54

tactica wrote: @rsbseb Do you intend to support all ISO layouts?
Yes I plan on having all the tooling to be as flexible with this profile as possible. Keys for some layouts may not be initially available but will come along soon after the standard sets are ready. Is there a specific layout your interested in?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 17:59

matt3o wrote: as in more than two? :D
Well.... multi is short for multiple and multiple could mean more than two. No official announcement yet but yes plans for triples has been planned for in the tooling

tactica

05 Jun 2015, 18:00

Yup, I'm interested in a spanish layout. A complete 101/104/105 set using that layout is an instant sale here, moreso if you support a variety of mounts :)

Chyros

05 Jun 2015, 18:14

Cool :) . The profile of these caps strongly reminds me of the Focus profile, with the exception of the bottom row, which I don't think I've ever seen this flat before. Nice!

So is there a definite for which mounts this will be supporting?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 18:48

Initial support will be for Cherry and Topre style mounts . Alps shouldn't be to far behind. Others may be considered as well às things move along.

quake4mhger

05 Jun 2015, 19:26

The Profile looks awesomeness :D

ray4jc

05 Jun 2015, 19:43

Keeping an eye on this, very interested to see where this goes. 8-)

SL89

05 Jun 2015, 19:59

Lots of 4's in usernames, lots of emoticons...

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 22:53

Numerologist…

Mal-2

06 Jun 2015, 00:56

Any hope of custom-dyesubbed sets and "exotic" stems? (By "exotic" I mean Cherry G86, which I'm pretty sure will also fit the G83 if only the forward-facing rotation lock is used.) I would want Dvorak keytops with some of them having AltGr legends at lower right, plus front-facing numberpad legends on 18 of them (I have parentheses overlaid onto the bracket keys). Since I've got a matrix keyboard, everything would either be 1U, or 2U with two stems. There are no other options.

I would be willing to sacrifice some relegendable keys for you to cut up and see the mounting system.

SL89

06 Jun 2015, 02:20

Muirium wrote: Numerologist…
I should have gotten the weird board with the Roman numerals...

Muirium
µ

06 Jun 2015, 02:21

Oh, I have II of those.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

06 Jun 2015, 04:46

It's always great to see someone new planning to do full keyset runs. I hope the plans to do buckling spring come to fruition. As far as I know, you could end up producing the first double/triple shot bucking spring (and possibly Space Invader) keycaps ever? I would absolutely love a set of white on blue mods with blue on white alphas on one of my 3 ANSI modded F-122s, and something extra special for my Kishsaver too. I know its a long way off, but wow. Wow!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

06 Jun 2015, 16:14

Mal-2 wrote: Any hope of custom-dyesubbed sets and "exotic" stems? (By "exotic" I mean Cherry G86, which I'm pretty sure will also fit the G83 if only the forward-facing rotation lock is used.) I would want Dvorak keytops with some of them having AltGr legends at lower right, plus front-facing numberpad legends on 18 of them (I have parentheses overlaid onto the bracket keys). Since I've got a matrix keyboard, everything would either be 1U, or 2U with two stems. There are no other options.

I would be willing to sacrifice some relegendable keys for you to cut up and see the mounting system.
It's certainty something I would be interested in looking into. If you would like to loan me a cap or to to work with I would certainly consider it.

mr_a500

06 Jun 2015, 16:51

I'll send you a bunch of Amiga 500 keycaps if you can consider doing those.

Muirium
µ

06 Jun 2015, 17:00

I talked to him about doing caps that are 100% the same shape as pre-existing ones, for those of us with missing keys or a need for different sized mods (much like Moogle and Tsangan kits). He's not so sure about doing something so obviously close to someone else's work though, and would rather create something new from scratch; as you see with this amazing project.

There's definitely a market for "clone" caps though, not least for us vintage guys who need something that was never ultimately made. I don't think the ancient manufacturers or designers are likely to come looking either! But there's much to be said for wanting to be original in your work.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

06 Jun 2015, 17:23

Actually i would be interested in doing vintage replacement parts. It is actually a segment of my business plan in relation to some automotive parts and IBM model F components.

However, like Muirium stated I am not real interested in doing direct copies of caps that are currently available in the marketplace. And certainly not ones that are in production. nor do I want to do a copy of SA for a mount not supported by SP. I do have a strong preference for original work.

Vintage replacement parts I will consider on a case by case basis as time permits. Just send me a pm and I'll keep in touch with you about it.
Last edited by rsbseb on 06 Jun 2015, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

06 Jun 2015, 17:32

mr_a500 wrote: I'll send you a bunch of Amiga 500 keycaps if you can consider doing those.
If your looking for SCM with an Amiga mount shoot me a pm and we'll discuss it

mr_a500

06 Jun 2015, 17:37

Oh yes.. yes, indeed.

Findecanor

06 Jun 2015, 19:04

I don't see much reason for making keycaps higher than is necessary. Even SP's DSA profile is slightly higher than it actually needs to be. More height means more wobble in the key.
But then I have never grown fond or even been interested in spherical keycaps.

Personally I would like all modifiers on the bottom row of a regular keyboard to be in the same profile as the Space Bar - like on Dell AT101W and many non-mechanical keyboards.
However, on an ergonomic keyboard the space bar might also be 1.25 wide, and there might be other keys for the thumb that are 1×1, 1.75 or even 2.25. Some recent DIY keyboards have split space bars - and the size chosen has often been 2.25 or 2.75 because Shift keys have been available in that size where as Space Bars shorter than 6 have not.

Ludovician

06 Jun 2015, 19:21

Just heard about this today... this is amazing. Thank you for setting all this up, rsbseb.

Been getting hyped about Alps recently so it's nice to see that I can potentially get some good keycaps for them in future. And if you expand into PBT... :D

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

06 Jun 2015, 19:33

The keys are taller than many profiles for certain, but an effort to keep the overall height down has been made. The home row in SCM is 2.5mm lower than the home row in SA. The alpha keys in SCM are actually fairly conservative in height with the home row being only about a 1mm taller than typical "OEM" style keys and the top row of alphas in SCM is effectively identical in height to the equivalent key in the average OEM profile. Of course the tallest of the SCM keys (the function row) is 14.4mm from the top of switch to the center of face but those keys do not typically see the same sort of action as the others and could be substituted for a lower cap if desired.

Findecanor

06 Jun 2015, 20:10

One more thing I would like you to be concerned about is the "struts" inside the keycap between the keycap wall and the stem. For Cherry MX switches, many people put rubber O-rings around the stem. When the key hits bottom, the O-ring gets squeezed between the keycap struts and switch top - instead of the key stem inside the switch hitting the bottom, and this dampens the key sound.
Cherry and OEM profile have different distances between the struts and the switch top when fully pressed so you would need to use different O-rings for them. Some third-party keycaps (SA, DSA, some DCS) do not have any struts so you can't do this trick with them.

Keycaps with thicker walls are known to also make keyboards more silent. I am not sure that is necessarily true, but I think that they make the sound darker somehow and that makes the keys sound more solid.
BTW, I have wondered for a time if not some kind of striped texture on the inside of the key could help with dampening sound ..

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

06 Jun 2015, 22:43

Findecanor wrote: One more thing I would like you to be concerned about is the "struts" inside the keycap between the keycap wall and the stem. For Cherry MX switches, many people put rubber O-rings around the stem. When the key hits bottom, the O-ring gets squeezed between the keycap struts and switch top - instead of the key stem inside the switch hitting the bottom, and this dampens the key sound.
Cherry and OEM profile have different distances between the struts and the switch top when fully pressed so you would need to use different O-rings for them. Some third-party keycaps (SA, DSA, some DCS) do not have any struts so you can't do this trick with them.

Keycaps with thicker walls are known to also make keyboards more silent. I am not sure that is necessarily true, but I think that they make the sound darker somehow and that makes the keys sound more solid.
BTW, I have wondered for a time if not some kind of striped texture on the inside of the key could help with dampening sound ..
You have brought up an issue with the O-rings that I hadn't considered. I will make the necessary adjustments to properly make use of them. In fact I will go so far as to include a dedicated seat on the stem for use with the O-rings.

These will be thick walled caps and I am sure they will alter the resonate tone of the switch. Not so sure about a texture at this scale though. I do have have another detail planned that I believe will also contribute to the sound suppression qualities of the cap. I will not discuss it until I know for certain it will work in production. My effort here not to produce caps that are simply novel, but to provide a premium product unlike anything else readily available right now.

I really appreciate your input on these details, Thanks

MAR82

08 Jun 2015, 15:02

Wow I just found out about this project over at GH, and think that this sounds like a great idea. Seeing that you already have plenty of help, I'll just keep an eye out for updates. Keep up the great work!

Return to “Workshop”