Spherical Buckling Spring Thread

mana

09 Apr 2017, 16:43

I think the beamspring (or selectric, for that matter) legends would be the best with symbols where possible as suggested above (probably makes tooling easier as well as it would probably be easier to make a wide UP arrow rather than "SHIFT" (especially with kerning issues, ha) - which was present on some of the old beamsprings as well.

Black text on white would also be amazing as in this picture (also showing the up arrow shift keys):

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... b3d7f7.jpg

__red__

09 Apr 2017, 17:30

While going through the prototyping phase for molds I've seen people use casting wax (or that wood composite) to make their positive model and using epoxy in an aluminum frame to make a mold that you can inject into with a very short lifetime (say, tens).

The only reason I'm mentioning this is because looking at your model I fear for the number of tiny end-mills you're going to eat through to get that level of definition if you're milling your molds directly.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

09 Apr 2017, 19:10

I would love to see some videos about the whole process of mold making and two shot key cap injection. It's really a fascinating subject to me. I wish I had a huge bankroll so I could learn it and perfect the art. I can tell that rsbseb is having some real fun working on this!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

10 Apr 2017, 00:46

Here's a few modeling snippets to share based on the master list posted earlier.
Attachments
top-group.PNG
top-group.PNG (104.03 KiB) Viewed 6158 times
top.PNG
top.PNG (66.37 KiB) Viewed 6158 times
single.PNG
single.PNG (18.47 KiB) Viewed 6158 times
profile.PNG
profile.PNG (49.03 KiB) Viewed 6158 times
group.PNG
group.PNG (124.28 KiB) Viewed 6158 times

Wingklip

10 Apr 2017, 01:10

__red__ wrote: While going through the prototyping phase for molds I've seen people use casting wax (or that wood composite) to make their positive model and using epoxy in an aluminum frame to make a mold that you can inject into with a very short lifetime (say, tens).

The only reason I'm mentioning this is because looking at your model I fear for the number of tiny end-mills you're going to eat through to get that level of definition if you're milling your molds directly.
The clear silicone stuff should be cheap for molding. Just mix it with soap water well and apply into an aluminium mold box. Simply press and you should be sweet. Might have some slight warping due to the flexibility of the silicone but otherwise it should be perfect. Could last you up to a hundred moldings because that stuff withstands high heat really well.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

10 Apr 2017, 01:25

Wingklip wrote:
__red__ wrote: While going through the prototyping phase for molds I've seen people use casting wax (or that wood composite) to make their positive model and using epoxy in an aluminum frame to make a mold that you can inject into with a very short lifetime (say, tens).

The clear silicone stuff should be cheap for molding. Just mix it with soap water well and apply into an aluminium mold box. Simply press and you should be sweet. Might have some slight warping due to the flexibility of the silicone but otherwise it should be perfect. Could last you up to a hundred moldings because that stuff withstands high heat really well.

We are not using a rotory mill on this project. Initial prototypes are pretty standard resin injected castings from high durometer silicone molds. Production tooling will be in aluminum, milled on an EDM.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

11 Apr 2017, 19:53

Legends, Legends, Legends

I need input on legends. Descriptions ,Pictures, Wish lists, Colors, etc.

codemonkeymike

11 Apr 2017, 20:29

IBM APL legends? There is someone on here with a beamspring keyboard which has APL legends I can look when I get back from work.

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 Apr 2017, 20:42

What about big and centered ones, like on a Beamspring? But white on black.

Last edited by Madhias on 11 Apr 2017, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

11 Apr 2017, 20:50

Madhias wrote:What about big and centered ones, like on a Beamspring?
This is my vote as well, at least for the first round. It seems like it will be easiest. If rsbseb wants a real challenge later, we'll ask for triple shots! :twisted:

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 Apr 2017, 20:57

Or like on this Selectric:

emdude
Model M Apologist

11 Apr 2017, 23:04

You could consult lot_lizard on the legends, perhaps when more time has freed up for him; several months back, he began the process of scanning and digitizing beamspring/Selectric keycaps over in the MF workshop thread: workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t137 ... ml#p332303

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Apr 2017, 04:48

Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten that lot_lizard was recreating the beamspring fonts! That would really make these legends look authentic. I love the symbols too. Especially the insert and delete.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Apr 2017, 06:24

This legend showed up in a text tonight. I may be the only one who wants it, but want it I do.
Attachments
tmp_12457-123_1-1740835409.jpg
tmp_12457-123_1-1740835409.jpg (1023.56 KiB) Viewed 6017 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Apr 2017, 15:27

rsbseb wrote:This legend showed up in a text tonight. I may be the only one who wants it, but want it I do.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is that?

sgtpopwell

12 Apr 2017, 16:53

rsbseb, that teaser pic looks fantastic!

I agree with Techno Trousers; The large, centered legends for the alphas similar to the old beam-spring boards is the way to go for SBS. I also agree that doubleshots are far superior. I have a couple of Model F's, a Model M, and am waiting for an F77. If I could put a set of Spherical Buckling Spring caps on at least two or three of those boards, I would be very happy. I hesitate to use this term but a set of SBS caps on my F77 would be endgame for me. As long as I could get RGB modifiers, or at least have the option to have several of the keys come in various colors to allow for simple mods. As previously mentioned by several other members, I too prefer dark legends on light keys however I will certainly buy whatever ends up getting produced. Light legends on dark keys also look fantastic. Aside from RGB modifiers, I also really like the blue that was used on some modifiers on some of the industrial Model M boards.

I am really excited about this project and am really looking forward to seeing where it goes! If there was any way I could help...

Has anyone posted a thread about this to r/mk or GH?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Apr 2017, 21:56

Techno Trousers wrote:
rsbseb wrote:This legend showed up in a text tonight. I may be the only one who wants it, but want it I do.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is that?
It's a model for a legend insert, the part that gets over molded with the rest of the cap material. Only the top surface of the legend remains visible after the second shot of plastic. In this instance it would be my Horned Rabbit logo.
Attachments
blk re hr.jpg
blk re hr.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Apr 2017, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

vinnycordeiro

12 Apr 2017, 22:00

rsbseb wrote: It's a model for a legend insert, the part that gets over molded with the rest of the cap material. Only the top surface of the legend remains visible after the second shot of plastic. In this instance it would be my Horned Rabbit logo.
How different is to make the tooling for legends (comparing with keycap tooling)? AFAIK SP has a process that is both cheap and fast for that, but I don't really know the technical details.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Apr 2017, 22:09

Tooling for legends is probably the easiest part of the project. Generally only one side of the insert mold has to be reworked to represent the desired legend and the backside support grid can be used interchangeably with most of the legends. It's also the cheapest of the tooling to produce because it has minimal projected area and very little sidewall so the mold can be made from lower quality and thinner materials.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Apr 2017, 22:17

sgtpopwell wrote:
I posted a request for input on GH but reddit is unfamiliar territory for me. Feel free to share.

Madhias
BS TORPE

12 Apr 2017, 22:32

rsbseb wrote:In this instance it would be my Horned Rabbit logo.
I saw it is your avatar logo, but first I thought it is an abstract om logo :)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Apr 2017, 22:49

Madhias wrote:
rsbseb wrote:In this instance it would be my Horned Rabbit logo.
I saw it is your avatar logo, but first I thought it is an abstract om logo :)
Well it may not be spiritual but it does have meaning for me on a personal level. I was raised in the inter-mountain west of the United States (home of the fabled Jackalope). For me the Jackalope has always represented innovation, creativity and wild ambition. As a designer I value those traits. I developed the logo abut 15 yrs ago and even used it commercially for a while. I suspect the Horned Rabbit will always be a part of my persona.

This one is much more appropriate..
Attachments
hrwht-blk-legend.PNG
hrwht-blk-legend.PNG (28.03 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
Last edited by rsbseb on 14 Apr 2017, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

13 Apr 2017, 02:30

Nice, now I get it!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

13 Apr 2017, 10:23

Exciting! That keycap could be your signature, just like there's a GMK keycap in almost every GMK set.

sgtpopwell

13 Apr 2017, 16:42

rsbseb wrote:
sgtpopwell wrote:
I posted a request for input on GH but reddit is unfamiliar territory for me. Feel free to share.
rsbseb, with your permission:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... _switches/

I think this is a fantastic project and I would really like to see it succeed as much as possible!

gnarlsagan

13 Apr 2017, 17:49

I am definitely in. Would love these on an F77.

Has anyone here thought to work with Ellipse who is making the new F62s and F77s? Just an idea.

SL89

13 Apr 2017, 19:06

good to see this train is moving again

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

13 Apr 2017, 19:08

We are having so much fun with this project it is kind of fast tracking itself. I think a summer production run may be in the cards. :D

We started this almost 2 years ago, it would be awesome to see it rise from hibernation and be in production by it's second anniversary. I think I have a goal.

e_l_tang

13 Apr 2017, 19:49

rsbseb wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote: I'm liking the thought of an all convex bottom row, evocative of the old beamspring layouts. The nice thing is that by having the molds for both versions, we could choose whether to go convex or concave for the modifiers.
A couple of years ago I had a few people begging me to do a convex bottom row for SCM so I'm thinking I will try to make it available with this project. :)
Is there still a future for SCM?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

13 Apr 2017, 20:34

e_l_tang wrote:
Is there still a future for SCM?
It's being discussed, be patient ;)

Return to “Workshop”