Spherical Buckling Spring Thread

Wingklip

19 Apr 2017, 10:02

Can we have the Nixon font please I will buy two sets

pcaro

19 Apr 2017, 11:36

Great project! Perfect combination with Model MF SSK! Willing opening my wallet ;)

I also need homing keycaps (bar preferred) and ISO versions.

I like the font.

just_add_coffee

19 Apr 2017, 11:39

Wingklip wrote: Can we have the Nixon font please I will buy two sets
I'll buy FIVE for the Blackadder font.

vometia
irritant

19 Apr 2017, 11:42

Oh, I'd love some nicer keycaps for my SSK, both the M and Lot_Lizard's M-F kit. Some nice retro sphericals with centred legends would be lovely. Don't really mind the colour options, I just want prettier keys!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

25 Apr 2017, 19:08

Here's a little SBS in action on a model F switch. Prototype tooling for several of the keycap sizes is being done now and hopefully later next week we will be set to produce the first batch. :D .

e_l_tang wrote: If anyone's having trouble seeing the video, just go straight to the file here.
Last edited by rsbseb on 25 Apr 2017, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

codemonkeymike

25 Apr 2017, 19:34

I think photobucket is broken lol. It is throwing exceptions when I try to load your video. Looks cool from the thumbnail though.

E TwentyNine

25 Apr 2017, 19:36

codemonkeymike wrote: I think photobucket is broken lol. It is throwing exceptions when I try to load your video. Looks cool from the thumbnail though.
Worked fine for me. Had to enable flash...

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

25 Apr 2017, 19:40

Photobucket I am finding can be an exercise in patience frustration. If there are any recommendations for a more reliable provider I'll repost it.

e_l_tang

25 Apr 2017, 19:49

If anyone's having trouble seeing the video, just go straight to the file here.

e_l_tang

25 Apr 2017, 21:14

Would it be possible for a Topre-style convex numeric keypad "0" keycap to be added to SBS?

codemonkeymike

25 Apr 2017, 21:41

The whole bottom row being convex would be amazing, kind of like what matt3o is doing with his high profile set. It's easier on the thumbs IMO.
The direct link to the video worked for me thanks. It looks good I'll definitely be getting a set.

just_add_coffee

25 Apr 2017, 21:53

rsbseb wrote: Here's a little SBS in action on a model F switch. Prototype tooling for several of the keycap sizes is being done now and hopefully later next week we will be set to produce the first batch. :D .

e_l_tang wrote: If anyone's having trouble seeing the video, just go straight to the file here.
Looks awesome!!! :D

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

25 Apr 2017, 22:17

e_l_tang wrote: Would it be possible for a Topre-style convex numeric keypad "0" keycap to be added to SBS?
Yes, there is a convex 2u in the SBS lineup
Attachments
sbs 2ucx.jpg
sbs 2ucx.jpg (139.18 KiB) Viewed 7255 times

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

25 Apr 2017, 23:17

codemonkeymike wrote: The whole bottom row being convex would be amazing, kind of like what matt3o is doing with his high profile set. It's easier on the thumbs IMO.
The direct link to the video worked for me thanks. It looks good I'll definitely be getting a set.

Mods will be available in both concave and convex
Attachments
sbs mods.jpg
sbs mods.jpg (54.58 KiB) Viewed 7232 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

26 Apr 2017, 00:13

rsbseb wrote: Prototype tooling for several of the keycap sizes is being done now and hopefully later next week we will be set to produce the first batch. :D .
This is fantastic news! They look beautiful, and I'm looking forward to feeling them under my fingertips. :mrgreen:

e_l_tang

26 Apr 2017, 02:14

rsbseb wrote:
e_l_tang wrote: Would it be possible for a Topre-style convex numeric keypad "0" keycap to be added to SBS?
Yes, there is a convex 2u in the SBS lineup
It looks like the edges are not entirely clean. Is that how they're supposed to be? Also, is the top rounded in more than one direction?
Last edited by e_l_tang on 26 Apr 2017, 05:32, edited 2 times in total.

codemonkeymike

26 Apr 2017, 02:14

rsbseb wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: The whole bottom row being convex would be amazing, kind of like what matt3o is doing with his high profile set. It's easier on the thumbs IMO.

Mods will be available in both concave and convex
Sold, you got my money

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

02 May 2017, 00:28

SBS is moving forward. Two potential production venues have been identified and options for tooling are being researched.
Work on prototype evaluation sets will resume next week. Hopefully a new font scheme will be ready soon.
An informational website has also been set up.

http://sbskeycaps.com/

sgtpopwell

02 May 2017, 08:08

Awesome news! Joined the updates list! Things are looking up...

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

02 May 2017, 09:00

I signed up for the list too. I'd suggest one update to the text: change 20 years to 30+ years. My F-122 will be 32 years young in November!

Vizir

02 May 2017, 18:58

added myself to the list, too.

mana

04 May 2017, 17:08

Added myself as well!

clee

21 May 2017, 08:46

Subscribed to the list. I'm in for at least two sets of doubleshot ABS and whatever PBT options might become available.

Zed

05 Jun 2017, 04:35

Greetings Deskthorians! Long time lurker that just registered to share some ideas I have been working on for this fantastic project. @lot_lizard was kind enough to post a scan of a beamspring cap set a while ago and I used it to recreate the font and icons. I know Mr. Lizard has been working on doing the same thing and I don't want to step on any toes so, if he is agreeable and @rsbseb is interested in my work, I offer this proposal for the SBS legends.
Attachments
Beamspring render GB.png
Beamspring render GB.png (316.24 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
Beamspring render WB.png
Beamspring render WB.png (336.07 KiB) Viewed 6749 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

05 Jun 2017, 04:54

OMG. Yes, pretty please!!

emdude
Model M Apologist

05 Jun 2017, 06:12

Wow, that is phenomenal, I want to see that happen!

One thing I noticed though, the Caps Lock looks off, is it 1.25u stepped?

Zed

05 Jun 2017, 06:36

Thanks for the kind words folks! @emdude Yes, I did the render with a stepped cap. I thought I got the ratios correct but now you have me wondering. BTW, the backgrounds are generated with this cool new tool. http://kle-render.herokuapp.com/It saved me from having to re-learn Blender again and is very useful for this sort of thing.

wcass

05 Jun 2017, 06:44

A very nice job on that font Zed. I have just 3 questions.
  • What do you call it?
    Where can i get a copy?
    What license?

sgtpopwell

05 Jun 2017, 08:02

Zed, those legends look amazing! I would be ecstatic if that's what ended up on the final production. Not %100 sold on the colorway, but of the two I do prefer the grey and black.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Jun 2017, 14:45

Super nice. Could you post some renders with the spacebar in the same color than alphas? :)

Return to “Workshop”