Hyper7 Development

7bit

15 Aug 2015, 23:58

Please discuss the technical issues of the Hyper7 here …

hyper7_preview2.png
hyper7_preview2.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 129387 times
Hyper7_PCB2_front.png
Hyper7_PCB2_front.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 129394 times
Hyper7_PCB_front.png
Hyper7_PCB_front.png (2.22 MiB) Viewed 129433 times
:ugeek:
Hyper7_PCB2_back.png
Hyper7_PCB2_back.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 129394 times
Hyper7_PCB_back.png
Hyper7_PCB_back.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 129433 times

SP_Hyper7_profile.png
SP_Hyper7_profile.png (22.46 KiB) Viewed 129414 times
Features:
:ugeek: Alps and CherryMX are supported!
:ugeek: LEDs in all switches but the main typing area (requires separate controller if too many)!
:ugeek: CherryMX can be with fixing pins and with diodes in the switches!
:ugeek: up to 224 keys (129 on main keyboard, 84 on extension panel and 11 mouse buttons)!
:ugeek: Symmetric and traditional staggering!
:ugeek: Mountplates for 4 and 7 units space bar!
:ugeek: 2 Trackpoint holes!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Aug 2015, 00:05

That is GIGANTIC.

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2015, 00:54

7bit wrote: Please discuss the technical issues of the Hyper7 here …
All The Issues!

There is nowhere to begin when you try to wrap your hands around infinity…

mtl

16 Aug 2015, 03:23

Whoa.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

16 Aug 2015, 05:13

Absolutely diabolical.

Phill1

16 Aug 2015, 06:50

I actually want one. does someone's firmware works with the ++ though?

Hak Foo

16 Aug 2015, 07:13

Soarer's is supposed to.

This intrigues me, but I'd build it out a bit differently, to the point where it probably wouldn't really work with this PCB.

Having the "core" block being a standard 60% block, or a 60% block plus a column on either or both sides, would make keycap compatibility much less of a hassle. All those 2x modifiers are gonna be hard. Yes, you guys have mountains of weird caps from Round 5 and 5a, but we don't all have that to fall back on.

I'd probably make the left block into a numpad and the right one into an editing block

7bit

16 Aug 2015, 19:24

There is not much difference between those 2 and it is possible to generate code using the same tools for both controller types.
vivalarevolución wrote: That is GIGANTIC.
Footprint is smaller than a 122-key Model F, so it is kind of a compact keyboard.
:evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2015, 19:39

Oh yeah? Try adding a case.

scottc

16 Aug 2015, 19:50

I want to talk about it... after you send us our HyperMicros! :evilgeek:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Aug 2015, 19:53

7bit wrote: TFootprint is smaller than a 122-key Model F, so it is kind of a compact keyboard.
Right, probably too compact for kbdfr! :mrgreen:

7bit

16 Aug 2015, 21:34

scottc wrote: I want to talk about it... after you send us our HyperMicros! :evilgeek:
They are in production and will be here in about 1-2 weeks.
Muirium wrote: Oh yeah? Try adding a case.
28.5 units vs. 25.5 typing area. These are just 1.5 units left and right. Here is a model F:
As you can see, there would be space for another 2 columns left and right, while a Hyper7 case could end at 0.5 units on each side.
:P

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2015, 21:42

Quite a hypothetical case, that. To hold so much keyboard with so little frame it had better be real tough. You thinking of metal?

7bit

16 Aug 2015, 21:51

Incognito wrote: I'm not sure this qualifies as entirely technical issues but here are my 10 cents anyway.
Your link is dead. The top 3 rows are at an angle against the lower 5, so with the curvature of the key caps this gives quite some curvy keyboard, not unlike the Model F.
:cool:
Incognito wrote: [*]Stabilisers - all the wide keys at the top - would they amount to a lot of stabilisers or are they just narrow enough to avoid them?
This keyboard requires 0 stabilisers. The 2 units keys go over 2 switches. Use switches with light springs like MXRED for these. In my Tipro I have MXBLACKs and not much of a problem to hit those keys. Usually the 2 top rows are just decorations. However, you can also have them equipped with 1-unit keys.
:-)

There is one exception: You can have a plate with 4 or 7 units space bar.
Incognito wrote: [*]Internationalisation - with all those keys around surely there could be made room for 1x1 keys for Ü, Ä, Ö or Æ, Ø, Å or whatever extra keys BéPo need - all of course in their proper places.
Incognito wrote: [*]Usage: I'm assuming all those keys are meant to map to control key combinations or macros? If so wouldn't this introduce an application dependent mapping hell - or are you assuming everything is done from the terminal?
I know that the USB-keyboard protocol has some limitations, but there are a lot of useless "media-key" key codes, that can be used for real things.

Usually, the most stuff is needed in Emacs and here we can use odd modifiers plus any keycode to do a lot of things by typing just one key.

I do this already with my Tipro.
Incognito wrote: [*]Cases: Custom ones are needed obviously - is there a project for that too?
All my hopes rely on people like suka, matt3o and litster to design cases for this.
:mrgreen:
Incognito wrote: Anyway I quite like it, it's kind of cool - I'm just not sure what I would use it for. If I were writing full time this just might have a lot of potential - LATEX macros, formatting macros and that sort of thing. That would of course require special keycaps and where would I get anything like that? :lol:
Key caps are available from Round 5 (currently shipping) Round 5a (soon shipping) and Round 6 (really soon shipping).

7bit

16 Aug 2015, 21:56

Muirium wrote: Quite a hypothetical case, that. To hold so much keyboard with so little frame it had better be real tough. You thinking of metal?
Erhem!
:mad:

The Tipro comes with 1/2 a unit left and right and they are quite solid. Yes, mount plates will not be aluminium, but real steel, same for the backplate.

KRKS

16 Aug 2015, 22:09

Actually, If we take a standard fullsize board and put it next to the Hyper7 so the home row's alphas are in the same place(start at the same "X value" so to speak), then Hyper7's keys end 1,25u earlier, so it's actually a bit more ergonomic for mouse usage.

With that many mods though I'd just use a tiling WM and ditch the mouse.

Engicoder

17 Aug 2015, 00:21

Trying to find a use for all those Round 5 key caps?

7bit

17 Aug 2015, 11:13

I've planned this keyboard before Round 5 started, so it was the other way round.
:-)

chzel

17 Aug 2015, 16:58

The link is actually fine, was since first posted!

seebart

17 Aug 2015, 17:04

Incognito's link does not work for me chzel! :cry:

chzel

17 Aug 2015, 17:15

Really? Maybe a German thing???
Incognito's second link is indeed broken, it is missing a part and has an extra ), but the first works fine for me!

seebart

17 Aug 2015, 17:22

chzel is right, the image is visible and the first link works.

7bit

17 Aug 2015, 17:28

Now, it works.

Nevertheless, the Space Cadet keyboard did not come with such a strange curve, so mine will not, too.
:P

Muirium
µ

17 Aug 2015, 17:30

Don't wrap other characters immediately around links. URLs are too dumb to work properly if you use brackets etc. without a space or new line first.

The terminal in the image… hmm… not my style but I can see how some would find that cute. Obviously the Hyper 7 isn't for me at all either. But for what it's worth: never raise the height of the front of a keyboard more than you have to. That's the critical flaw in many custom cases. Adding angled wings like this would raise the Hyper 7 to absurd heights.

But then maybe that's what the More is Moar! brigade genuinely wants?

seebart

17 Aug 2015, 17:35

I'd like to see some more pictures of that keyboard if possible. It's a battleship alright, with a strange form.

7bit

17 Aug 2015, 18:14

Pictures will be posted soon. Just let me ship these HyperMicros first ...
:roll:

scottc

17 Aug 2015, 18:49

7bit wrote: Pictures will be posted soon. Just let me ship these HyperMicros first ...
:roll:
Eeeeeeexcellent...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Aug 2015, 09:56

seebart wrote:
7bit wrote: TFootprint is smaller than a 122-key Model F, so it is kind of a compact keyboard.
Right, probably too compact for kbdfr! :mrgreen:
Well, it's a nice small thing :lol:
I guess I would be quite interested if it was a keyboard and not just a DIY set.

7bit

18 Aug 2015, 09:59

:ugeek: __(Soon, it will be a keyboard.)
--------------- :-)

:ugeek: __(Really soon!)
-------------- :roll:

:ugeek: __(Really!!!)
------------ :lol:
Spoiler:
Legend:
:ugeek: : 7bit
:-) :roll: :lol: : reaction of DT users

wlhlm
~

18 Aug 2015, 11:28