How do I stick the IBM keyboard badge back onto the case?

tigpha

26 Sep 2015, 12:07

May I request some advice please, about appropriate types of glue? The IBM badge popped out of the Bigfoot. I'm grateful that it remained stuck fast until it reached me, it would have been much missed.
Badge-unstuck-obverse-side.jpg
Badge-unstuck-obverse-side.jpg (850.23 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Badge-unstuck-reverse-side.jpg
Badge-unstuck-reverse-side.jpg (894.26 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Options I considered are:
  • Cyanoacrylate -- superglue, loctite etc. which sometimes leaves a misty white bloom on some surfaces, and reveals fingerprints, due to the vapour it emits while setting. I don't want to mar the appearance of the badge;
  • Epoxy -- this feels too permanent. Might not really be a problem, I doubt that I want to remove the badge;
  • Silicone sealant or some other decorator's filler. Less permanent, but might not be sufficient to hold the badge secure.
  • Double-sided sticky tape. Not really appropriate in my experience, some brands of tape I have used have not aged at all well, becoming brittle or turning into goo. The sponge tape variety will make the badge protrude from the recess, and make it vulnerable to scratches.
Are there other options? Has anyone experience with the above, or can suggest an alternative?

How should I try to remove the old brittle brown glue residue on the badge and case?

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2015, 12:11

i would go with contact adhesive, easy to remove if you get it in the wrong place as it only sticks to itself

the old glue ? I would get some wet and dry sandpaper http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-wet-dry ... f-10/32368

but a very fine one

tigpha

26 Sep 2015, 12:19

Good suggestion. I forgot that option. It's likely that the original glue is the same. Thanks andrewjoy.

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2015, 16:00

It does look a bit like impact adhesive

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 Sep 2015, 16:26

I recommend naptha (old-fashioned cigarette lighter fluid) for removing old adhesive. But be careful and work quickly - it can damage paint. And thoroughly remove the residue ASAP afterwards.

People love "Gorilla Glue" but I have never tried it. Does it work well on metal? Does it break down over time?

Hypersphere

26 Sep 2015, 16:37

There is a 3M product specifically for gluing metal emblems onto various surfaces:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08061-Plastic- ... B0002MID28

The solvent in the glue will dissolve paint, so be careful about getting excess glue on painted surfaces.

tigpha

26 Sep 2015, 20:55

fohat wrote: I recommend naptha (old-fashioned cigarette lighter fluid) for removing old adhesive. But be careful and work quickly - it can damage paint. And thoroughly remove the residue ASAP afterwards.
Noted. I shall give lighter fluid a cautious try.
fohat wrote: People love "Gorilla Glue" but I have never tried it. Does it work well on metal? Does it break down over time?
I remember using polyurethane glue a long time ago. It works well for wood, due to moisture in the wood fibre. While it cures, polyurethane glue tends to expand as it react with moisture, so use with caution if the join is conspicuous, as the glue might ooze out.

courtpton

07 Sep 2021, 11:08

I have started using Action Can sprays for most things now. I got their SA-90 adhesive recently as I've been using the AC-90 for years so thought I'd give it a try. It's brilliant and left no messiness behind https://www.fusionfixings.co.uk/enginee ... 20adhesive Good luck!

JP!

07 Sep 2021, 14:46

I've used 3M 300LSE double-sided clear adhesive tape for installing badges and other types of craft work at home. This tape is commonly used in cellphone repair.

Return to “Workshop”