The long journey of the WhiteFox

scottc

04 Dec 2015, 16:48

Sounds like a plan. :mrgreen:

Matt_

04 Dec 2015, 16:53

Matt3o, do you have a render of the keyset with all available keys? I understand if you prefer to keep details secret until launch, but I figured I'd ask anyway :mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Dec 2015, 16:59

sure!

Matt_

04 Dec 2015, 17:11

Oh my, there is even a numpad kit. This is going to be glorious.

Now I am just hoping that my wallet likes this keyboard as much as I do.

romevi

04 Dec 2015, 17:44

matt3o wrote: sure!

Makes me shed a tear.

beltet

05 Dec 2015, 10:38

Wow. Just wow.
Someway I wasn't impressed with the layout before.
But after reading the background I was converted. Only thing I miss is the ISO key on the left side(use it as left side fn as I occasionally need to type with one hand, the other arm is occupied by a child.)
And I also want to support this, I have tried to support your GB's because I really like your designs. And this is not an exception(Italian design :D).
But you said that it is open source? So the plate design could be modified to support other layouts? And the PCB had support for cherry stabs? So a universal plate wouldn't be a problem if someone would just design one?
It's really fun to see this come to life, it's one of the most exciting things in a long time.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Dec 2015, 11:25

beltet wrote: But you said that it is open source? So the plate design could be modified to support other layouts? And the PCB had support for cherry stabs? So a universal plate wouldn't be a problem if someone would just design one?
It's really fun to see this come to life, it's one of the most exciting things in a long time.
thanks!

yes the project is open, the PCB supports a lot more configurations, if you can design the plate and can find a laser cut service, you can add support to a hell lot more options!

beltet

05 Dec 2015, 12:48

matt3o wrote:
beltet wrote: But you said that it is open source? So the plate design could be modified to support other layouts? And the PCB had support for cherry stabs? So a universal plate wouldn't be a problem if someone would just design one?
thanks!

yes the project is open, the PCB supports a lot more configurations, if you can design the plate and can find a laser cut service, you can add support to a hell lot more options!
That's great! Then there can be some mini GB for alternative plates.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Dec 2015, 13:26

in few hours we will have the GB up and running. In the meantime... Whitefox on SA Retro :)

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2015, 13:31

Tempting, as always…

Got a reasonable guess about when the kit version might ship? And what switch options are available for the full-built one? Gaterons? Zealios?

I'm tired of modern MX. And a bit intrigued by the new kids.

Stabilized

08 Dec 2015, 14:19

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that since the GB of Zealios there is not enough still stocked by Zeal to supply something ambitious like this. Gateron seems to be a favourite over on MassDrop though, so no doubt if they are doing the GB that they will offer Gateron switches to go with it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Dec 2015, 15:19

We should have all cherry MX (including green, gray and white), some Zaelios and Gaterons.

The kit should ship shortly after the end of the GB (that will last one week)

romevi

08 Dec 2015, 15:30

matt3o wrote:We should have all cherry MX (including green, gray and white), some Zaelios and Gaterons.

Zealios, too?! Crap; now I can't decide between Gateron Yellow or clear Zealios.

Matt_

08 Dec 2015, 15:36

matt3o wrote: The kit should ship shortly after the end of the GB (that will last one week)
That's super fast, I was afraid that it could ship as late as February or March. Kudos for organizing the drop in such a timely way. Just one thing though: will there be a limited number of kits for sale, or will everyone be able to grab theirs ?

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2015, 15:44

Good news indeed! Zealios are a tasty option. And I'll be in the right place for once.

Stabilized

08 Dec 2015, 15:49

Stabilized wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that since the GB of Zealios there is not enough still stocked by Zeal to supply something ambitious like this.
matt3o wrote: We should have all cherry MX (including green, gray and white), some Zaelios and Gaterons.
Haha, well there I go eating my words! :roll:
Last edited by Stabilized on 08 Dec 2015, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

M1K3L08

08 Dec 2015, 15:51

matt3o wrote: We should have all cherry MX (including green, gray and white), some Zaelios and Gaterons.

Will shipping to the EU and UK still be reasonably priced?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Dec 2015, 15:57

Please consider that zaelios are pretty expensive... don't ask me why...

there should be enough kits for everyone, but there will be a limit I guess to avoid manufacturing delays.

Shipping to EU depends on Massdrop. I don't know yet if I'll be able to get some samples for myself, in that case I could re-sell them to Europe but I will probably know about that only when the GB is finished, so...

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2015, 17:50

My luggage is already full of NeXTs before anyone gets ideas!

Matt_

08 Dec 2015, 17:59

matt3o wrote: there should be enough kits for everyone, but there will be a limit I guess to avoid manufacturing delays.
That makes sense. For those who miss on this one, I guess there could always be a second round (perhaps with the black/gold version this time).

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

08 Dec 2015, 19:17

Muirium wrote: My luggage is already full of NeXTs before anyone gets ideas!
Yeah, stay away from his luggage :lol: I want my NeXT ! :lol:

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

09 Dec 2015, 01:01

matt3o wrote: in few hours we will have the GB up and running.
Pls, tell Massdrop to start. Want to sleep but fomo kickin in. ;-;

nicstreet

09 Dec 2015, 01:16

matt3o wrote: Whitefox on SA Retro :)

mildly moist...

Another to add to the list of post XMAS pressies to ones self.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Dec 2015, 12:02

okay quick update.

The group buy will star this Friday on MassDrop. I don't yet know if I'll be able to grab some samples for myself and possibly sell them in the old continent and I will actually know only when the drop is over, so don't rely on that.

We had to reduce the number of options to lower logistics hiccups. The options will be:
- a raw kit that includes only the plate, pcb, case, screws, feet and stabs
- to that you can add keycaps, switches and LEDs (all together)
- on top of that you can add full assembly service

I'm really excited about how this is coming out, some things I would have definitely done differently, but like in every relationship you have to compromise a little.

In this very moment I'm typing on a 100% working WhiteFox and it's amazing. I'm almost to tears, it took a year but it was totally worth it!
Last edited by matt3o on 09 Dec 2015, 12:09, edited 2 times in total.

julientaq

09 Dec 2015, 12:06

Wouhou!

i changing my whole Round 5a command to have the right cap for this!

Thanks man, can’t wait.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

09 Dec 2015, 12:13

matt3o wrote: We had to reduce the number of options to lower logistics hiccups. The options will be:

I'm really excited about how this is coming out, some things I would have definitely done differently, but like in every relationship you have to compromise a little.
Guess that's the option you'd have changed? Want the keycaps but what would I want switches for? :(
In this very moment I'm typing on a 100% working WhiteFox and it's amazing. I'm almost to tears, it took a year but it was totally worth it!
:D

M1K3L08

09 Dec 2015, 15:02

matt3o wrote: okay quick update.

The group buy will star this Friday on MassDrop. I don't yet know if I'll be able to grab some samples for myself and possibly sell them in the old continent and I will actually know only when the drop is over, so don't rely on that.

We had to reduce the number of options to lower logistics hiccups. The options will be:
- a raw kit that includes only the plate, pcb, case, screws, feet and stabs
- on top of that you can add full assembly service

Will there be no way to buy the keycaps by themselves, or just the raw kit + keycaps?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Dec 2015, 15:10

you can probably buy the base kit and add switches from a different GB that will run more or less at the same time. Not sure about the keycaps. I know that MD is in frenzy mode these days and I don't want to add too much complexity, since they are pretty prone to logistics errors.

Mr.Bean

09 Dec 2015, 22:55

I wish, I skipped GH60.

chzel

10 Dec 2015, 02:54

It is alive!
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/the-whitef ... guest_open
(not yet, but soon enough!)

Return to “Workshop”