The long journey of the WhiteFox

HzFaq

11 Dec 2015, 14:35

£80 shipped to the UK for barebones...even including the inevitable customs fees that's pretty reasonable :D.

I'm going to give it a few days and see how I feel on Monday, I kind of want one just to be a part of matt3o's vision...

pcaro

11 Dec 2015, 15:20

The price is very good in general, not only for barebones. The 60 bucks of difference with the kit is a great price for gateron switches, custom usb cable and dye-sublimated pbt keycaps.

They're selling like hotcakes, congratulations Matt3o!

Being italian, remember us, the european guys, and allow a groupbuy soon please

cswanic

11 Dec 2015, 15:30

PETSCII is gonna finally have a home! Thanks Matt3o :mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Dec 2015, 15:48

HzFaq wrote: £80 shipped to the UK for barebones...even including the inevitable customs fees that's pretty reasonable :D.

I'm going to give it a few days and see how I feel on Monday, I kind of want one just to be a part of matt3o's vision...
it might not last that long :)

HzFaq

11 Dec 2015, 15:56

Monday or 900 units sold then, just in case ;).

kri5

11 Dec 2015, 15:56

The cherry switches would be plate mounted? or PCB mounted?

k1shi

11 Dec 2015, 16:05

I was seriously considering picking up this keyboard, and then i saw the bit about the limited edition. Now i think i'll wait for that! Also, considering the rate at which the WhiteFox is being bought on massdrop, i wouldn't have been able to buy it anyway

scottc

11 Dec 2015, 16:56

HzFaq wrote: £80 shipped to the UK for barebones...even including the inevitable customs fees that's pretty reasonable :D.

Same, I don't know if I really need one but I want to do the same :lol:

SL89

11 Dec 2015, 17:30

Holy fuck, 48 left, and I'm gonna miss it. Goddamn.

HzFaq

11 Dec 2015, 17:35

They upped it to 1000, it was 450ish sold last time I checked so unless sales have gone bonkers you should be alright.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

11 Dec 2015, 17:39

I have too many boards, just can't justify buying this one, and I'm broke too. But it looks great and the price is very good

SL89

11 Dec 2015, 17:49

Ah ok, i thought matt3o was fighting the glass ceiling.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Dec 2015, 18:21

The Zealio option is already sold out. There is no option for those of us who have switches and need everything else. Blarg.

I may instead elect to make one of these with my TechShop membership.

mashby

11 Dec 2015, 19:06

@XMIT -- I'm in the same boat. I wish I could get everything but the switches.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Dec 2015, 19:16

more Zealios will be available in a couple of hours. Now what's the excuse? :D

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Dec 2015, 19:18

matt3o wrote: more Zealios will be available in a couple of hours. Now what's the excuse? :D
Wrong key legends for the True Fox! I want a 1.75u Control key, and a Caps Lock key in the lower left with the icon. But I don't want it to say "Caps Lock", that's silly. I want it to say "Capitals".

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :evil:

julientaq

11 Dec 2015, 19:21

XMIT wrote:But I don't want it to say "Caps Lock", that's silly. I want it to say "Capitals".
Best excuse ever.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Dec 2015, 19:21

XMIT wrote:
matt3o wrote: more Zealios will be available in a couple of hours. Now what's the excuse? :D
Wrong key legends for the True Fox! I want a 1.75u Control key, and a Caps Lock key in the lower left with the icon. But I don't want it to say "Caps Lock", that's silly. I want it to say "Capitals".

well you have a 1.75 control, but the "Capitals" thing is a bit too much to ask, sorry :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Dec 2015, 19:33

matt3o wrote:
XMIT wrote:

well you have a 1.75 control, but the "Capitals" thing is a bit too much to ask, sorry :)
When I design a key set it will have a Capitals key. And an XMIT key of course! :lol: 8-)

Seriously though, nice work, I'm really only skipping out because both I prefer white-on-black legends and I'd like to have a stab at manufacturing something like this myself as an exercise to become more familiar with modern fabrication techniques.

My preference is white-on-black, PBT, and double shot. There is only one source for this combination and I've had to make do with what I can get!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Dec 2015, 19:45

only vortex do white-on-black PBT double-shot, I seem to recall. well anyway keep us posted on your project!

HzFaq

11 Dec 2015, 20:49

Screw it, I'm in.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Dec 2015, 23:34

HzFaq wrote: Screw it, I'm in.
that's the spirit

Repomanic

12 Dec 2015, 01:03

Ordered mine earlier today and have been watching the numbers tick over ever since.

Looks like you knocked it into orbit. Well done man!

chzel

12 Dec 2015, 01:18

748 by now!
Great job matt3o, but I'll sit this one out! Not enough money for everything!

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2015, 02:29

Same here. Ships a little too late even for my lengthy stay in America. So I'll let another happy owner follow my recipe and shoot the pictures:

TrueFox layout, Zealios (linear if they are they a thing, else purple tactiles), and Granite caps with icon mods. That'll be a wee stunner!

k.t

12 Dec 2015, 10:29

matt3o, I've gotta ask, for the keys on the far right, why mute and page up/down? I assume you use this primarily for programming, so wouldn't home/end make more sense? I know it can be customized; I'm just wondering what your reasoning is for the defaults.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2015, 10:57

k.t wrote: matt3o, I've gotta ask, for the keys on the far right, why mute and page up/down? I assume you use this primarily for programming, so wouldn't home/end make more sense? I know it can be customized; I'm just wondering what your reasoning is for the defaults.
it turned out that pgup/dn is more useful to commoners, so I'm defaulting to that.

Plasmodium

12 Dec 2015, 12:09

Interesting - I'm a 'commoner' myself (ie, not a programmer) and I never use pgup/pgdn. Home and End are so much more useful to me in writing essays and things! Still, I guess it's reprogrammable, so it doesn't matter. Wish I could justify one of these, it looks absolutely great!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Dec 2015, 13:19

Zealio purple switches are still unavailable as of this writing. :-(

codemonkeymike

12 Dec 2015, 14:09

I believe you less then 24-48hr until the whole shindig is unavailable! I really want to buy but I restraining myself. I have switched to matrix style/ ortholinear keyboards recently and can't be switching layouts all the time
It's really messing with my typing speed.Good luck anyway Matt3o.

Return to “Workshop”