The long journey of the WhiteFox

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2015, 11:29

The long journey of the WhiteFox
A 4 years long adventure in search of the perfect 65%

I understand that nobody cares about the back story of the WhiteFox so I've hidden all the unessential parts and you can go straight to the point. For the other two sadists who want to know more about the whole process of building a "commercial" grade keyboard, go ahead, do harm yourselves, read the spoilers. Note: the facts may not be exposed in exact chronological order.

How it all started
Spoiler:
Coding long hours on a flat aluminum Apple keyboard gave me a very nasty sore to my left hand (fn, cmd, alt, ctrl) and brought me to search for alternative keyboards. I believe the first mechanical I bought was a Filco TKL with MX Red. A great board but my hunt for the perfect keyboard was just at the beginning.

All the keyboards I tried missed something, so I decided I had to build one myself. It had to be compact to reduce hand movements but I needed the arrow cluster, so my first (working) custom was born.
First experiments: the Steely and the BrownFox
Spoiler:
At the time I was able to only find a service that could laser cut steel, so why-the-hell-not and made my first layered case out of steel.

I really loved it. If you notice both the right and left hand modifiers are smaller than usual and in fact the number row staggering is not standard (number and wasd rows are aligned).

The keyboard was great but presented various problems. The first: steel is indeed hard. Too hard. Typing for long hours becomes tiring and uncomfortable. Secondly: weird key sizes makes impossible to find keycaps for this beauty.

That also explains how my first group buy started. I needed a keyset I could mix and match in any way I wanted to test as many custom layouts as possible. DSA Retro was designed and it was perfect for prototyping, no row discrimination, a gazillion size options and of course the retro style.

As much as I loved the Steely I needed to get real and the BrownFox saw the light.

I already had the DSA Retro set, so I made a wafer case out of brown acrylic and aluminum. The name came natural: BrownFox.

The keyboard was amazing. Slightly flexible so typing was a pleasure again and with a saner key layout, much easier to find keycaps. It was still not perfect though. The arrow cluster was sometimes hard to find with touch typing and I understood that a small gap between the left arrow and the right control was required.

Also up to this point I always built hand-wired keyboard, while the outside layout was going to get better and better I felt that the inside needed more work.

The Elf-Board
Spoiler:

Trying to perfect the BrownFox and in the effort to cut costs I made the Elf-Board. A keyboard made of Wood, Aluminum and Steel.

This was pure perfection. The gap made reaching the arrows easy as a pie. The layout was pretty standard and finding keycaps was not a problem anymore. The bottom steel plate added the right amount of stability, but the aluminum switch plate kept the keyboard flexible.

I also tried to build a rudimentary home-made PCB.

This was the very first custom keyboard I could say was "the end game"... but we all know there's not such a thing...
Bringing it to the next level
Spoiler:
One thing was clear to me at this point: it's not possible to build a one-of-the-kind custom keyboard at a reasonable price (if you want to keep a decent quality). No matter the materials you use, you end up handing €150 in a custom build (if you are lucky). And anyway the end result will always be "amateurish".

It was time to move to the next level. I started the Group Build prototyping phase, the goal was to join forces to build a quantity keyboard keeping the price down.

Many layouts were discussed, some big:

some small:

More or less at the same time we saw an invasion of mini keyboards (like the JD40), so I decided to put the miniature boards on standby and concentrate again on a slightly bigger board.

So after months of discussions and a 50+ pages thread, the WhiteFox was finally taking shape.

The idea was still to build a sandwich case: two aluminum plates with frosted acrylic in the middle. The BrownFox owes its name to the color of DSA Retro and the middle brown acrylic layer... The name WhiteFox came consequentially.
Shaping the fox
Spoiler:
Probably the best thing that could have happened to the WhiteFox was the collaboration with InputClub. I knew that if Haata was going to get involved the WhifeFox would have turn from amazing to legendary.

The WhiteFox got a PCB a CNC'd case and with the help of MassDrop a Chinese manufacturer (well multiple manufacturers).

I was super excited about it and so I started to ask more :) Anodized aluminum for starter, but also a white PCB and cone feet, countersunk screws, ...

The manufacturer once made by mistake an aluminum middle layer prototype (instead of frosted acrylic) and I was so thrilled about it that I asked a quote right away. Since the middle layer was CNC'd we could have better had the full keyboard tray CNC'd instead of having two layers (the sides and the bottom plate). The quote was actually cheaper than the wafer version, so the whitefox became the silverfox... but we kept the original name anyway.

I'm not going to bore you (more than I already did) with the minutiae of the whole prototyping phase. We switched multiple manufacturers for most of the parts until we found the right ones. I have dozens of samples and prototypes for the case, the plates, the keycaps, the screws, the feet. And in this process MassDrop was crucial and I can't thank Kunal enough for his continued support. If you are a MassDrop hater, you really don't understand how much time, dedication and money these guys put in the projects they like.

Anyway after approx 4 years from my first hand-wired 65% and about 1 year of active prototyping the WhiteFox is finally almost ready for the marketplace!
The WhiteFox

Following a two years discussion and months of active prototyping, I'm proud to finally show you the fruit of our efforts.

Please bear in mind that we are still in Beta-1 phase, I don't have a 100% final WhiteFox yet, but we are very close now and I'm comfortable at showing you some pictures.

Again, the keycaps are not final, the legends are still hand aligned so some shifting is to be expected. The final version will be perfectly aligned. Anyway the keycaps are completely optional, if you have --say-- Granite or Round 5 you are good to go.

The Group buy will include

- Anodized CNC'd aluminum case
- Anodized aluminum switch plate (6 layouts available, see below)
- White PCB with SMD components pre soldered. Comes with default firmware and can be easily updated with a web based visual tool
- Aluminum (+rubber) cone feet
- Screws (of course)
- Costar stabilizers

The above is the bare minimum, if you like you can add any of the following:

- Switches (I'll try to give as many choices as possible). The board is Cherry MX compatible only
- Keycaps, cherry replica dye-sublimated PBT
- Braided gold plated micro-usb white-blue cable
- LEDs (yes, the PCB is backlight ready)

The PCB

In collaboration with I:C, the firmware is a Haata's creature. A PCB has been sent to Hasu too and a TMK version is now available!

SMD components come already soldered, just add switches and LEDs if you want. I'll try to make a full tutorial as soon as I get all the final components.

Customizing your layout is super easy thank to the online configurator. Cross platform, web based. Design your keyboard and download the compiled firmware, ready to be flashed.

The case

High quality CNC aluminum case with a wonderful silver anodized texture. Feet are also made of aluminum.

Supported layouts

The PCB supports a gazillion layouts, including ISO, but we couldn't offer a plate for each of them. Also I excluded a multi-layout plate because the switches are exposed and it would look like shit.

The following are the supported layouts:

#1 Vanilla is the easiest to the eye. It is relatively easy to source custom keycaps if you don't want the stock ones. The only weirdly shaped key is the 1.75 right shift. The 1u modifiers in the bottom row are pretty easy to find. As you can see, there's no gap on the arrow cluster, if you feel you don't need it, this layout is a safe bet.

#2 ISO Same as above, ISO version. Unfortunately we don't have an ISO with the gap in the arrow cluster.

#3 Aria Same as vanilla but with a gap in the arrow cluster. All modifiers are standard sized, you only need a 1.75 right shift. This is the layout I suggest if you don't want the all she-bangs (ie: #5 The True Fox)

#4 Winkeyless If you prefer 7u spacebar and 1.5u modifiers, this is the layout for you

#5 The True Fox This is the real deal. This is the WhiteFox as it is always meant to be. No compromises. Gap on the arrow cluster. 1.75 right shift. 1.5 backspace in lieu of the \| key. I know it might seem too much for some of you, but believe me, this is the result of years of experiments and you should really give it a chance. This is the layout I suggest to anybody.

#6 Jack of all trades This layout has all standard sized keycaps. It is compatible with basically any keycap set on the market.

Keycaps

Keycaps are PBT cherry replica. Thickness is just right. Not too thick (that creates problems with LEDs), not too thin. The texture is very nice and the legends are incredibly sharp.

Shut up and take my money!

The Group Buy will start (hopefully) before Christmas. I'll post more pictures as soon as I get the final revision. I can't yet give you a price tag BUT it will be less than you'd expect from a custom keyboard of this kind. The craftiest of you I bet can hazard an estimate. In the coming days I'll post more details, so stay tuned and subscribe to this topic.

As a side note, I'm fighting (and seems that I won the battle) for a limited edition WhiteFox, available in only one layout (#5 the true fox) with dark gold anodized case and black on dark-gray keycaps. That it is expected to be a pinch more expensive, but gosh if it will be sexy!

Acknowledgements

Once again, let me stress on the fact that none of this would have even been possible without the continued support of Andrew, Kunal and Wu from MassDrop.

Also a special thank to the guys from the Input Club, especially Jacob and Brandon who patiently agreed to all my nuts-breaking little requests.

And of course all those who participated to the "interest check" and followed the project since the beginning.

The keyboard is finally available for purchase on Massdrop

Official FAQ
Last edited by matt3o on 21 Dec 2015, 20:41, edited 3 times in total.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

27 Nov 2015, 11:41

Matt3o wrote:As a side note, I'm fighting (and seems that I won the battle) for a limited edition WhiteFox, available in only one layout (#5 the true fox) with dark gold anodized case and black on dark-gray keycaps. That it is expected to be a pinch more expensive, but gosh if it will be sexy!
Ok, want a white and a black one then. Was so tempted by the VA68M but then I remembered this, and it seems like you deliver just in time. :)
Matt3o wrote:Shut up and take my money!
qft, gief (pls)!

SL89

27 Nov 2015, 15:21

This is amazing, I'm so glad its happening. And as a dedicated fullsize user, this is the ONLY sub fullsize board (that isnt a novelty in some way) that I would consider using on a day to day basis.

HzFaq

27 Nov 2015, 15:30

That's quite a journey there dude, nice to see a happy ending at the end of it too!

It's not for me, but I do admire the work and though put into the board.

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Nov 2015, 16:05

Great summary of your journey and the project. Now I need a PCB ;)

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2015, 16:54

HzFaq wrote: It's not for me, but I do admire the work and though put into the board.
Same here. The caps are undeniably tempting, though. Any plans to sell them separately?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2015, 17:00

Muirium wrote:
HzFaq wrote: It's not for me, but I do admire the work and though put into the board.
Same here. The caps are undeniably tempting, though. Any plans to sell them separately?
yes, a full set with some options should be available shortly after (if not at the same time)

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2015, 17:02

That's the stuff!

Now, I wonder if a set of caps like that with Alps mounts could lift a certain other project right off the runway…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2015, 17:03

Muirium wrote: That's the stuff!

Now, I wonder if a set of caps like that with Alps mounts could lift a certain other project right off the runway…
I don't think that would be completely out of the question

potatowire

27 Nov 2015, 17:06

I am 100% in. It's also good to have a concise write-up. Thanks for taking the time.

jbondeson

27 Nov 2015, 17:12

matt3o wrote:
Muirium wrote: That's the stuff!

I don't think that would be completely out of the question
:o

Be still my beating heart...

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2015, 17:16

Okay, you've done it now, consider me stoked!

Crossfire

27 Nov 2015, 18:47

Wow, what a great project! The keyset is a work of art! Some CMYW modifiers and this thing is an instant classic!

JotaCe

27 Nov 2015, 19:10

Damn it matt3o! I already have a custom keyboard with the True Fox layout and I'm looking for excuses to justify the White Fox. The wallet has started to cry in pain :(
In all honesty though, AWESOME project! And I say this not only for the final result but also for the insane amount of information regarding the whole process.

SL89

27 Nov 2015, 19:17

Muirium wrote: Okay, you've done it now, consider me stoked!
No sarcasm, no axe to grind, no biting commentary?

We have reached a new high on DT. :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2015, 19:30

JotaCe wrote: Damn it matt3o! I already have a custom keyboard with the True Fox layout and I'm looking for excuses to justify the White Fox. The wallet has started to cry in pain :(
In all honesty though, AWESOME project! And I say this not only for the final result but also for the insane amount of information regarding the whole process.
thanks, really appreciated.

the cost of the WF won't be too bad, I promise :)

scottc

27 Nov 2015, 20:25

It was really nice to read through the back story. I've been watching it closely since Steely, even if I came around a bit after its birth. I can't wait to see what the final product looks like!

zslane

27 Nov 2015, 20:54

For the truly lazy among us (maybe that's just me), will there be a purchasing option that delivers a fully assembled board (minus the keycaps)?

I like the True Fox layout, but how many SA or DSA sets out there have a 1.5u backspace key? Scouring my collection of Granite caps, for instance, turns up no 1.5u backspace key. Bummer. And I know Dolch DSA doesn't have one. I'm 0 for 2...

scottc

27 Nov 2015, 20:57

All of them run my matt3o. They're in the extra kits.

zslane

27 Nov 2015, 21:00

The Granite 1.5u backspace cap must have come in an extras kit I don't have. Not surprising, I guess, given the sheer number of different kits there were to choose from between all the various generations of group buys for that set.

nicstreet

27 Nov 2015, 21:04

one word... boardgasm.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2015, 23:30

zslane wrote: The Granite 1.5u backspace cap must have come in an extras kit I don't have. Not surprising, I guess, given the sheer number of different kits there were to choose from between all the various generations of group buys for that set.
people never listen to my suggestion: buy all the extra kits, you never know which one you'll need :) Next year I believe we will run another round of Granite anyway.

Like other suggested I believe most of my sets (all?) have a 1.5u backspace, Round 5 I'm sure has one. Anyway the keycap set that comes with the WhiteFox will be very reasonably priced (less than you'd expect I'd say) and just for the record, it is called Arctic Set :)
nicstreet wrote: one word... boardgasm.

LOL

scottc

27 Nov 2015, 23:49

Unfortunately, all the extra kits are pretty expensive, matt3o. I couldn't afford it before, but for SA Retro I got Pro Mods and I was really happy with them. They're basically unused on my current 60% apart from the short right shift. :lol: One day, though! I definitely need to get a few extra granite kits. DSA is so good for this, way too good to pass up.

zslane

28 Nov 2015, 05:40

Granite was before my time. What I picked up I picked up from several people selling their sets. None of them included a 1.5u backspace.

There seems to be this assumption that anyone interested in this stuff has been into it for years and has had the opportunity to get all the sets when they came out. Well some of us are having to play catch-up, and it isn't so easy.

As for the stock WhiteFox caps, they look cylindrical, not spherical, and I don't do cylindrical.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2015, 10:07

zslane wrote: There seems to be this assumption that anyone interested in this stuff has been into it for years and has had the opportunity to get all the sets when they came out. Well some of us are having to play catch-up, and it isn't so easy.
it might take some time but you can find them in the classified every now and then, also, like I said, we will run another batch of Granite early next year.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Nov 2015, 10:14

Off topic but I hope to see the Cyrillic Granite set available again!

scottc

28 Nov 2015, 10:31

I think that kits was a once-off. From what I understand, matt3o likes to keep something unique about every run. I'm very lucky to have a Cyrillic set.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2015, 11:01

scottc wrote: I think that kits was a once-off. From what I understand, matt3o likes to keep something unique about every run. I'm very lucky to have a Cyrillic set.
what this gentleman says.

maybe I'll add a Japanese set next time, who knows.

Matt_

28 Nov 2015, 16:05

Awesome project! I have been playing with layout generators and Eagle for some time and cast my choice on a layout similar to the "true fox" more than a year ago (split backspace, two 1.25 mods between the 6.25 space and left arrow), but things keep getting in the way. I totally understand how it took you four years to come up with Whitefox, and given what I can see of the project you have my utmost repect for your work.

Do you plan on selling the PCB alone at some point? I will certainly grab a full keyboard when it's available, but having additional PCBs to use with my own cases would be terrific.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2015, 16:22

I don't know yet if it will be possible to buy just the PCB, but the project will be open sourced, technically you could grab the eagle files and print few prototypes.

Return to “Workshop”