TS65 - The Split 65% Keyboard

mohitgarg

18 Jun 2016, 10:41

X-post from SAMPad thread,
mohitgarg wrote: Yeay, first test build was successful! Hot air soldering is so much faster!

I used Easy AVR to program the board, all keys registering, indicator LEDs working as they should. I haven't got my switches yet, so I just shorted the switch pins to test and it's working.

Also, I forgot the backlight LEDs are current controlled from the driver, so to test the LED I just put one in through the holes and it was BRIGHT! In two seconds it died, 200mA going through a single LED can't be good. THis was the 2x3x4mm LED off ebay, rated for 20mA

Will now try to program it using QMK, and test the audio and RGB LEDs (Still waiting to receive the RGB LEDs as well). Already discovered that to use the buzzer, I'll have to swap the buzzer pin (B4) with another pin (C6) as the Timer 3 is used for the buzzer in QMK. Oh well, will get to it soon.

Once that testing is done, I'll move to building the TS65. Two major changes to the QMK configuration will be,
1. Scanning the matrix on the left side via the multiplexer. I'm going through the configuration for bpiphany's controller to see how it's done.
2. Communication over I2C for the right side.

Once these basics are done, I'll move to adding support for the rotary encoder and testing the trackpoint functionality.

Phenix
-p

26 Jul 2016, 12:13

Did you made progress/any news? Is anything working?

mohitgarg

02 Aug 2016, 10:52

So my hot air rework station went kaput, so I had to wait for a replacement, it came, but I've had to move again (This is the fourth time in 10 months. :/)

scottc

02 Aug 2016, 10:57

If you need funds to get a new station/etc, I'd be happy to buy a PCB prototype if that would help at all. Really excited about this project.

mohitgarg

02 Aug 2016, 13:23

scottc wrote: If you need funds to get a new station/etc, I'd be happy to buy a PCB prototype if that would help at all. Really excited about this project.
Thanks for the generous offer, but I've got my replacement station, but it only arrived the day before I had to move. I'm hoping to get the first board built this weekend. Will post updates.

scottc

02 Aug 2016, 14:18

No problem. Excited for any further updates!

Phenix
-p

02 Aug 2016, 14:59

great to heart! btw why is 1. 5-1. 5-1. 5-2. 75 not possible? Or is ot just not listed?

mohitgarg

02 Aug 2016, 15:12

Phenix wrote: great to heart! btw why is 1. 5-1. 5-1. 5-2. 75 not possible? Or is ot just not listed?
It's not supported, I thought at the time that since just about all 1.5U mods are Ctrl/Alt, it didn't make sense having a third 1.5U key since there are few win or other logos for 1.5U mods.

scottc

02 Aug 2016, 15:20

Yeah, that makes sense. Having a 1.5 "windows"/etc key would be too difficult to find.

Phenix
-p

02 Aug 2016, 15:30

Ok, no problem. Anyway awesome options!

laxu

11 Aug 2016, 10:34

Any plans for making the sides attachable together, maybe with magnets in the case?

I've been looking at the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard a lot lately and like so many things about it but they've gone with a frankly stupid right hand side layout for the sake of easier manufacturing so I can't have bottom right corner modifiers as arrow keys in a way that feels natural to use like it does on a normal 60%. Plus the incompatibility of the right side with any keysets is another minus.

So that makes me very interested in the TS65 as it does a lot of things I want but I see potential for borrowing some good ideas from the UHK like being able to attach the sides together, the case mounted buttons below spacebar (seems to be the same switch you find in mice) or the additional thumb cluster modules. While of course these would not be available initially (or possibly never), it would be really cool if the PCB had connections for extra keys. Just a row of connections so you can add external keys by running wires to them. I'm guessing the trackpoint stuff could possibly be repurposed to work for a trackball?

Phenix
-p

11 Aug 2016, 10:38

if you are building your own case you can integrate.
Really looking forward aquiring an pcb

mohitgarg

11 Aug 2016, 17:07

@laxu, The trackpoint extension is for that purpose exactly, you can use it for trackpoint, trackball, and really anything you want, it's connected to two data lines on the MCU. I do like the magnetic connectivity option on the UHK, however that project has a much larger scope than mine (which started as a one-off for myself).

I'm afraid there's no more available pins for further extension capabilities.
Last edited by mohitgarg on 11 Aug 2016, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Phenix
-p

11 Aug 2016, 17:16

Did you assembled it?

mohitgarg

11 Aug 2016, 18:01

Phenix wrote: Did you assembled it?
Not yet, I will only be able to assemble the first one next weekend (20-21 Aug), not before that :(.

Phenix
-p

11 Aug 2016, 18:31

than I need to restrict my hype ;)
Looking forward seeing glorious pics
(atm I thought about getting a clueboard for split spacebars, but split and split spacebars is even more awesome)

laxu

11 Aug 2016, 20:11

mohitgarg wrote: @laxu, The trackpoint extension is for that purpose exactly, you can use it for trackpoint, trackball, and really anything you want, it's connected to two data lines on the MCU. I do like the magnetic connectivity option on the UHK, however that project has a much larger scope than mine (which started as a one-off for myself).

I'm afraid there's no more available pins for further extension capabilities.
Thanks for the reply! With connecting the sides I meant a less hardcore solution, like maybe just having two magnets glued into the case so they help keep the sides together a bit, allowing the keyboard to be moved as one unit.

Phenix
-p

19 Aug 2016, 18:21

Souds like a good plan

Phenix
-p

25 Aug 2016, 23:44

News?

Phenix
-p

04 Oct 2016, 14:23

??

mohitgarg

05 Oct 2016, 11:10

Hey Phenix, sorry for not posting an update. I've been real busy with work and relocation. My laptop which had all the data has died, I was able to recover the data recently but haven't had a time to sit down to assemble the board. It's been a tough couple of months.

Phenix
-p

05 Oct 2016, 11:54

Too bad, but take your time.
As im in America soon I will build an clueboard first - and hope I can build/get an TS65 once its ready

koduh

28 Dec 2016, 16:47

I just stumbled upon this project as I was considering hand wiring a split 65. It looks fantastic! I am sorry to hear you have lost your data @mohitgarg.

As the PCB stands on Github... is it ready to go? Can I order a PCB and make one myself? It'd sure be nice not to have to hand wire this thing. Haha.

Return to “Workshop”